Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powering down the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok stupid question of the day.

Just picked my car up this afternoon and set lights and wipers to auto, climate to 17 so all is good. Drove home, but as it's a new car I wanted to sit on driveway and play (learn) the screen and icons. I reversed into the drive , put it in park and started to log into Netflix and Spotify etc.
The problem was my headlights were blaring into the neighbours garden and climate was still blowing. In an ice car you can turn of the key to "kill" certain functions but still have power to use the scenes and settings.
I ended up taking lights off auto and turning off the blower. Am I missing something?

Long push on HVAC Icon turns off heating system. I thought the lights go off after a while when in park??

Not sure on the lighting, I need to play around with it for a bit. We went for a meal last night and as I kept lights on auto, as I plan to do, we exited the car, walked through the carpark and stood near the pub door, approximately 40 feet away waiting for it to lock. I understand it will lock when the bluetooth signal is broken, but lights still blaring away. I ended up locking the car via the app.
I know most cars tend to have some kind of safe home mode (lights stay in for a set period to let you see up driveway etc) but is there a way to cut down the time before switch off ?

Not sure on the lighting, I need to play around with it for a bit. We went for a meal last night and as I kept lights on auto, as I plan to do, we exited the car, walked through the carpark and stood near the pub door, approximately 40 feet away waiting for it to lock. I understand it will lock when the bluetooth signal is broken, but lights still blaring away. I ended up locking the car via the app.
I know most cars tend to have some kind of safe home mode (lights stay in for a set period to let you see up driveway etc) but is there a way to cut down the time before switch off ?

Mine takes around 10secs or so to lock as I walk away (Make sure "walk away lock" is enabled in the "Locks" and/or "security" screen). Lights go off within a second or so of getting out of the seat (Maybe you have the "headlights on after exit" option highlighted in settings?).

In fact, if I'm parked up, but want the lights to go off, I just open the door, "hitch" my bum off the seat for a split second, then sit back down and close the door again. This turns all the lights off (Including the DRL). To turn the HVAC off, you have to do as Kelvin says above.

Reactions: Fury1
Definitely sounds like you have 'Headlights after Exit' enabled:

1640077977879.png

Reactions: Fury1
The headlights go off after around a minute IF you manually put the car into park (and don't rely on auto park on exit), but the "running lights" / "daylight lights" / whatever you want to call them tend to stay on much much longer (until you get out the car and it locks in some cases) and if your in an area without other light sources these are surprisingly bright.

As for climate, if you want that off while you sit in the car you need to turn it off yourself - climate is on as long as it thinks someone is in the car (alternatively disable auto climate on the easy entry profile and make sure it's set to off and it'll switch off when you unbuckle your seatbelt).

FYI: The car eventually decides to goto "easy entry" even without you unbuckling your seatbelt after sitting for a while doing nothing - watch out for this if you don't want it trying to strangle you with the seatbelt :)