Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Installs in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who had Tesla install both solar and Powerwalls, who installed the new meter, HECO or Tesla? I'd hate to get to my inspection and have them waste time because Tesla was supposed to take care of it.
HECO installs the new meter but only after Tesla submits the post installation packet.
I waiting 2 unnecessary months for Tesla to submit the packet because they didn't take pictures of the install.

I had and passed my inspection today. Now on to the HECO fun. I had to race home and past the building inspector to turn off my system and pull the jumpers from the meter head. Close call. I only found out about the inspection 10 minutes before the scheduled time. Luckily my office is close to home, which is in a gated neighborhood, so I didn’t open the gate for the inspector until I pulled through it. He and the Tesla dude had been waiting there for a few minutes. He would have pooped rainbow twinkies had he seen me fully operational and running jumpers in my empty meter head. Fired it all right back up after he pulled away. Lol.

Just got a email from Tesla that our PTO application got rejected because Tesla did not include the correct pictures. I called Tesla and it turns out they have the correct picture but forgot to upload it to the HECO portal. How is it possible for one company to be so god damn useless? It is now 12 months since I signed my contract for solar which was supposed to be installed in 4-6 months

Attachments

• tesla picture.PNG
    tesla picture.PNG
    37 KB · Views: 60
Just got a email from HECO that our PTO application got rejected because Tesla did not include the correct pictures. I called Tesla and it turns out they have the correct picture but forgot to upload it to the HECO portal. How is it possible for one company to be so god damn useless? It is now 12 months since I signed my contract for solar which was supposed to be installed in 4-6 months
fixed typos

@Casper702 now I’m getting the “we need to come back and take pictures” B.S. from Tesla. They took pictures of the install during the install, but HECO recently started requiring inverter settings screenshots and voltage reading photos. I guess those were not required however many weeks ago my install was done(supposedly). Someone will be out this week to take the photos. Hope they’re not too pissed that I’ve already changed the inverter settings. Lol.

You would think they'd take a little more initiative to get it done right the first time and get PTO quickly since they don't get paid until everything passes inspection. Oh well, thanks to the handy $10 meter jumpers (Mahalo, k-mal_808!), I can wait.

Oddly enough, my inspection went very similarly to k-mal_808's. I was given about half an hour's notice, and they were waiting for me in my driveway when I arrived. Fortunately my system is behind a locked gate, so I went and removed the jumpers and shut down the system before I let them in. I don't think they suspected anything, but as soon as they were out of sight, the jumpers were installed once again!

Reactions: LN1_Casey
I didn't get a heads up that the inspection was happening. The only reason I knew about the inspection is because my security cameras picked then up.

I bought the jumpers but haven't put it in because I'm worried HECO would see the jumpers when they install the 2nd meter.

I was told by the Tesla surveyor dude that did the 2nd round of pictures yesterday, and then confirmed with a friend that works at HECO, that the meter install normally happens 10-15 business days after the project validation packet is accepted. They both also said that as of recently, HECO has been sending an email the day prior to the meter install. Mine was accepted today, so if I don’t get an email before the 10th business day, I’ll pull the jumpers out then. If they happen to stop by prior, I’ll play stupid. Lol. The Tesla guy also said that they usually sub out the production meter install and either way the guys that do it don’t really care if your system is running or not. They are there to do a job and that’s it. They’re not meter cops. YMMV on this. I’ll play it safe and pull the jumpers prior if possible.

Edit to add congrats fstop11 on getting the system fired up. Watching that power flow screen has become a quite addictive. \m/

I was told by the Tesla surveyor dude that did the 2nd round of pictures yesterday, and then confirmed with a friend that works at HECO, that the meter install normally happens 10-15 business days after the project validation packet is accepted. They both also said that as of recently, HECO has been sending an email the day prior to the meter install. Mine was accepted today, so if I don’t get an email before the 10th business day, I’ll pull the jumpers out then. If they happen to stop by prior, I’ll play stupid. Lol. The Tesla guy also said that they usually sub out the production meter install and either way the guys that do it don’t really care if your system is running or not. They are there to do a job and that’s it. They’re not meter cops. YMMV on this. I’ll play it safe and pull the jumpers prior if possible.

Edit to add congrats fstop11 on getting the system fired up. Watching that power flow screen has become a quite addictive. \m/

More good info. Mahalo, k-mal_808! It's now official; my Model 3 is powered by the sun!

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki