Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2+ or wait for the 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vinny860

MS LR Blk/Wht 19” | Ordered 6-29, RN1152
Jun 27, 2021
PA
I’m pretty set on pulling the trigger to add solar to my existing Tesla Solar system and adding 3 Powerwalls

Liked stated in the title, should I go ahead with the Powerwall 2+ or wait for the 3 to come out? Rumors are saying they will be released anywhere from Spring 2022 to late 2022, but who really knows. Unless someone has some insight from Tesla themselves?

Main reason for asking is obviously cost, apparently Powerwall 3 is going to be cheaper to produce and sell.

Everything is speculative of course, just wanted to hear others opinion. Thanks in advance

I’m pretty set on pulling the trigger to add solar to my existing Tesla Solar system and adding 3 Powerwalls

Liked stated in the title, should I go ahead with the Powerwall 2+ or wait for the 3 to come out? Rumors are saying they will be released anywhere from Spring 2022 to late 2022, but who really knows. Unless someone has some insight from Tesla themselves?

Main reason for asking is obviously cost, apparently Powerwall 3 is going to be cheaper to produce and sell.

Everything is speculative of course, just wanted to hear others opinion. Thanks in advance
I agree with the above, it all depends on what timing you expect. If you wait until Spring 2022, you may not get units allocated until the end of the year or later. The company I work for is scheduling Powerwall installs booked today for the end of the year, I know many many people want them and just cannot even get units.

As far as cheaper, they might be. I cant say that yet, but it's the way product development goes.

Thanks for the replies!

As far as expected time of install, it says on my Tesla account 10-11 weeks. Is this not the case?

If you order now, you likely wont even be getting 3 powerwalls installed until spring of 2022, so If you are considering ordering, you should go ahead and order now through whichever vendor you plan to order through.

Thanks for the replies!

As far as expected time of install, it says on my Tesla account 10-11 weeks. Is this not the case?
Perhaps in your area it is... .shrug. People with powerwalls on order in CA have been waiting months (or longer). Depends on who you order through. 10-11 weeks seems fairly optimistic to me, but perhaps its close, in your area, if going directly through tesla, on a home with an electrical system which is very easy, and no complications whatsoever on the process?

(run on sentence on purpose, lol)

Perhaps in your area it is... .shrug. People with powerwalls on order in CA have been waiting months (or longer). Depends on who you order through. 10-11 weeks seems fairly optimistic to me, but perhaps its close, in your area, if going directly through tesla, on a home with an electrical system which is very easy, and no complications whatsoever on the process?

(run on sentence on purpose, lol)

Yes, I live in Central PA, so I'm thinking there's just not much demand out in this area? I am going direct with Tesla and I'm adding to a current Tesla solar system so maybe that's also working out to my advantage? With Tesla, you never know lol.

I'm in NorCal and ordered w/ Tesla. Took two months to install 8.14 and two PWs. Waiting for Tesla to fix the Backup GW2 and change the plans to get a inspection. My city is really quick with plan review, permit, inspections, and PTO. Tesla on the other hand is slooow.

Elon says the backlog for PW2 is 80,000 units... and they can produce about 30k to 35k per quarter. So 39 weeks to 54 weeks of production backlog.

IMO, waiting for the next best thing to come out doesn't really pay out with tech. Once you're ready to pull the trigger, it's almost always best to get the product that meets your functional requirements today. Now, if PW3 can do something cool that PW2 cannot (like a single PW somehow being able to export 200A continuous for 30 minutes, then maybe you should wait. But if the PW2 (or Enphase or LGChem, or PWCell, etc) deliver what you want... just do the best with what you can today.

Yes, I live in Central PA, so I'm thinking there's just not much demand out in this area? I am going direct with Tesla and I'm adding to a current Tesla solar system so maybe that's also working out to my advantage? With Tesla, you never know lol.
Central PA here as well. Just for reference ..

27 Feb - Order completed.

5 Apr - Design accepted and approved.

10 Apr - Price Increase

16 June 2021 - On Site. Tear off and close in begins. Completed 16 June.

21 June - Tesla on site to begin installation.

24 June - System electrically tested. Electrical inspection completed.

Reactions: Vinny860
Central PA here as well. Just for reference ..

27 Feb - Order completed.

5 Apr - Design accepted and approved.

10 Apr - Price Increase

16 June 2021 - On Site. Tear off and close in begins. Completed 16 June.

21 June - Tesla on site to begin installation.

24 June - System electrically tested. Electrical inspection completed.

That sounds like a solar roof timeline (price increase, "tear off"...) Perhaps the roof and panels have the same time frame and its shorter out there than CA.

For reference I'm in Chicago market 15.64kw paenls + 2 PW (1xPW+, 1xPW2.1, and a 3.8 inverter)

Ordered May 13
4-5 rounds of redesign
10 year Tesla Loan RIC got lost somewhere finally signed 7/23 (that was the last roadblock to install scheduling)
Today got notice install scheduled 8/23

Order now and consider yourself lucky if you can lock in the price and not have to pay double what it is today when you finally get to the front of the line.

My recent order/install timeline here in Florida:
  • 5/18 Order submitted, standard 8.16 kW panels and 2 Powerwalls
  • 5/31 Design complete, contacted about performing a remote notary for permit submission
  • 6/2 Payment details confirmed
  • 6/15 Tesla received my permits
  • 6/16 I was asking an advisor (not mine, one that was available who answered) some questions and learned that my job needed an on-site home assessment. They gave me the number to call to schedule it so I could do so proactively.
  • 6/22 On-site home assessment performed by a Tesla employee from my local Tesla Energy office
  • 6/23 Email notification that my install was scheduled for 6/29
  • 6/23 Scheduler called me to see if they could move up my install to the next day
  • 6/24 My system was installed. I learned on install day that I was getting a Powerwall+ and a Powerwall 2. Up until this point I was expecting a SolarEdge inverter and 2 Powerwall 2 units.
  • 6/25 Inspection scheduled. My county is still doing virtual inspections due to COVID.
  • 6/28 Notified that inspection passed
  • ….
  • Someday: PTO submitted
  • Some further day: PTO passed
The waiting for product update thing is always a struggle. For instance, I had 24 340W Hanwha panels installed last month. Tesla’s website was recently updated showing that they’re now using a 425W panel (speculated to be LG?).