Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine did not make it in wave 1. I am still waiting for rebate application. Tesla is not saying much on whether it will be ready before step 2 opens up. At this point I am thinking if I will have a better chance at the rebate if I cancel the order with Tesla and go with an authorized Powerwall installer. Will wait for few more days before making a call.

The most frustrating part is that there are no updates from Tesla and all my phone calls turned into talk with reps and concierge who have no idea what the process is or where the rebate currently stands.

Any recommendations on authorized Powerwall installers in So Cal?

Mine did not make it in wave 1. I am still waiting for rebate application. Tesla is not saying much on whether it will be ready before step 2 opens up. At this point I am thinking if I will have a better chance at the rebate if I cancel the order with Tesla and go with an authorized Powerwall installer. Will wait for few more days before making a call.

The most frustrating part is that there are no updates from Tesla and all my phone calls turned into talk with reps and concierge who have no idea what the process is or where the rebate currently stands.

Any recommendations on authorized Powerwall installers in So Cal?

I made it into the initial wave and received my notice from SoCal Edison. I am using Swell Energy for the installation of two PW2s and LG Neon R solar panels. Swell is subcontracting with Sun System Technologies for the work. They all seem on it and very competent so far.

I see my installation now. I am using Swell Energy, and they seem reasonably on top of things.

It looks like I am getting the full incentive. I originally didn't see it because Swell had sub-contracted out the work to Horizon Solar and I was looking for Swell Energy.

Looking at the SGIP website, it appears that Tesla / SolarCity and Swell had the highest number of application submissions.

One thing that has not been clear to me yet is what level of control the My Tesla app provides. According to the one Reddit post, they said that they could only monitor the status of the PW2 and not control anything. One would need to ensure that the PW2 is charged from renewables at least 75% of the time in order to meet requirements for SGIP and the ITC. I would also want to be able to "pause" the PW2 at night when I charge my car and instead draw power from the grid at off peak rates. One possibility is that the Backup Gateway uses a CT sensors connected to PV output and house loads so that it can match the charge rate of the PW2 to solar production minus current house load? I guess we will need to wait and see as installations start to ramp up.

The PW2 owner's manual is not very clear either.

p9
Using the My Tesla app, you can monitor system operation from your mobile device, including the following:
  • Real-time power usage
  • Energy consumption history
  • Energy reserve for backup needs
  • Relative amounts of energy used from solar, grid, and Powerwall storage

p10
The Backup Gateway provides control and monitoring capability through the My Tesla app.

Last edited:
On a different note, having had my docs signed since Apr 11 (could've signed Apr 3, but wanted to read up on it a bit more first), I've been wondering when I'll get installed. I dropped my rep at Tesla a line and she responded just now saying that they "just started installations in CA this week" and they're working their way to the east coast. Don't know how to reconcile that with the news of some installations already, but that's an interesting datapoint.

Oh yeah, I got into the SGIP Tier 1 myself.

I'm a bit late to the party, just put down my deposit on one PW2 today after reading about the SGIP rebate. Anybody think I have a shot at Tier 3 maybe, or is there such a backlog that I'm likely to miss out on the rebate altogether at this point?
That's the information I want to get out of SolarCity but have been unable to do so. It's frustrating.

That's the information I want to get out of SolarCity but have been unable to do so. It's frustrating.
That's partly why I went with Pick My Solar / LA Solar Group as my installer. While this will likely cost me a bit more than taking my chances with SolarCity, I do like knowing exactly where I stand, and I appreciate good communication. If SolarCity had been more responsive a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure I would have gone with them. Competition is good.

I hope and expect that Tesla is making strong efforts to re-invent its solar business to focus on premium products while delivering a top-notch customer experience worthy of the Tesla name. That they have eliminated door-to-door sales, while displaying their solar/energy products in Tesla stores, is a great start. The new solar roofs look awesome. (We don't need a fancy roof, though, as you can't even see our roof from the "curb" in front.)

Finishing up the PW install today (took a bit longer than expected).

Reserved PW last year in November
Was notified by Tesla Energy/Solar City of the SGIP rebate via email on April 10th and completed on April 20th
April 25 - scheduled a May 10th installation date

The PW was commissioned yesterday (registered with Tesla) but ran into some wiring issues that they are resolving today. The Tesla app doesn't show the PW yet.

Very fast process once the SGIP rebate was offered/completed. Looks like they have a good supply of PW units, but it is the backup gateway that is in limited quantity.

Attachments

• IMG_8542.JPG
    IMG_8542.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_8543.JPG
    IMG_8543.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_8547.JPG
    IMG_8547.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 266
As I posted earlier, we are going with LA Solar Group (via Pick My Solar) as our Powerwall 2 installer, as they were able to get us the maximum SGIP rebate ("Step 1") and have been very responsive. Meanwhile, I've held onto my Powerwall reservation with Tesla, which is what Tesla/SolarCity recommended doing.

Yesterday, SolarCity called in an attempt to set up a site survey, even though they noted a couple of weeks ago that I'm using a third party installer. After some discussion, they agreed that I can go ahead and cancel the reservation with Tesla. However, they aren't sure how many days, weeks, or months it will be before Tesla starts releasing Powerwalls to certified installers. The implication is that you'll get your Powerwall faster through SolarCity. But this isn't much of a concern for me as long as we get the installation done sometime this year.

So I went on the Tesla website and made several attempts to cancel. Each time, even after logging out and back in again, I got a generic error - "Something went wrong". Maybe I'll just wait until SolarCity calls in another attempt to set up a site survey. Not interested in calling and waiting on hold right now.

Finishing up the PW install today (took a bit longer than expected).

Was notified by Tesla Energy/Solar City of the SGIP rebate via email on April 10th and completed on April 20th

The PW was commissioned yesterday (registered with Tesla) but ran into some wiring issues that they are resolving today. The Tesla app doesn't show the PW yet.

Very fast process once the SGIP rebate was offered/completed. Looks like they have a good supply of PW units, but it is the backup gateway that is in limited quantity.

As I posted earlier, we are going with LA Solar Group (via Pick My Solar) as our Powerwall 2 installer, as they were able to get us the maximum SGIP rebate ("Step 1") and have been very responsive. Meanwhile, I've held onto my Powerwall reservation with Tesla, which is what Tesla/SolarCity recommended doing.

Yesterday, SolarCity called in an attempt to set up a site survey, even though they noted a couple of weeks ago that I'm using a third party installer. After some discussion, they agreed that I can go ahead and cancel the reservation with Tesla. However, they aren't sure how many days, weeks, or months it will be before Tesla starts releasing Powerwalls to certified installers. The implication is that you'll get your Powerwall faster through SolarCity. But this isn't much of a concern for me as long as we get the installation done sometime this year.

So I went on the Tesla website and made several attempts to cancel. Each time, even after logging out and back in again, I got a generic error - "Something went wrong". Maybe I'll just wait until SolarCity calls in another attempt to set up a site survey. Not interested in calling and waiting on hold right now.

Something to keep in mind, the SGIP requires the installers to be able to provide usage data whenever requested. Part of the very vague language is that the batteries will need to be discharged 52 times a year, so whomever is submitting the SGIP for you will need to be able to provide this data. There are a lot of things that are unclear as everything is still somewhat new, but with some of the smaller solar installers, this may be an issue and/or surprise.

When did you sign your Powerwall purchase agreement? I have not been able to schedule an install date with them yet.

My timeline looks like this:

Oct 30: Reserved 1 Powerwall
Apr 3: Received Powerwall purchase agreement for 2 Powerwalls
Apr 10: Notified of the SGIP rebate by e-mail
Apr 11: Signed purchase agreement online
Apr 24: Last signing of any documents relating to SGIP (I believe I signed something twice)
May 2: Received notification from SGIP that I had been assigned to Small Residential Storage Step 1
May 9: Pinged my contact at Solarcity; was told "just started installations this week and are starting in CA and working our way east"

I wonder if I might have a Powerwall now if I'd signed the agreement immediately. Oh well. Not like there's anything to really get excited about.