Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got this email:

Dear SGIP Applicant,

Thank you for your participation in the SGIP!

The following Program Administrator budget categories are now closed due to Step 1 oversubscription on May 1:

· CSE: Small Residential Storage and Large Scale Storage

· SCE: Large Scale Storage

· SoCalGas: Small Residential Storage

· PG&E: Large-Scale Storage

A lottery and Pause Period is triggered in the event that applications submitted on a single day exceed funds available for a given budget and step.Applicants and Host Customers will receive a notification of the lottery results for their application when the lottery results are finalized. Please refer to 2017 Handbook section 2.3.3. for more information about the Pause Period.

All other Program Administrator budget categories are still accepting applications for Step 1 funding. However, please note that applications cannot be submitted beyond the statewide developer cap, which includes applications in the "Pending" status.

Please refer to the Incentive Tracker found on the Program Metrics page to determine the daily status and available funding in each Program Administrator’s budget category.

Thank you,

SGIP Program Administrators

If you have any questions, please contact your local Program Administrator directly:

PG&E: [email protected]

SDG&E / CSE: [email protected]

Southern California Gas: [email protected]

Southern California Edison: [email protected]

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Looks like good news for all the people in the SCE and PG&E territories. Their small residential storage programs were not oversubscribed on May 1. So, all of us who applied or had an incentive application filed for us on May 1 should get the full tier 1 incentive. :)

Reactions: astrothad
Looks like good news for all the people in the SCE and PG&E territories. Their small residential storage programs were not oversubscribed on May 1. So, all of us who applied or had an incentive application filed for us on May 1 should get the full tier 1 incentive. :)
Mine isn't listed there, so perhaps it is "pending". I don't know if the "pending" will oversubscribe it, or if the "developer limit" is already reached, meaning mine isn't even in pending. I bet a lot of others are in a similar boat.

That fee: that brings up some questions to consider.

Mine isn't listed there, so perhaps it is "pending". I don't know if the "pending" will oversubscribe it, or if the "developer limit" is already reached, meaning mine isn't even in pending. I bet a lot of others are in a similar boat.

I did not see my application either, but I received the following atatement in an email from SGIP.

"This message is to inform you that your SGIP Reservation Request application has been assigned to Small Residential Storage Step 1", so I know I am in their system somewhere.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
FYI re SGIP for residential PW2 at PG&E from Solar City:

"Looks like you didn’t get into tier 1, I just talked to concierge _____, you are high up on the tier 2 list".

So, that will be a $0.40/watthour rather than $0.50/watthour incentive, coming to $2,700 less of a maximum incentive.

I look forward to reading the Reddit thread!

Last edited:
Solar city gave me the design plan today and said they will be doing the second wave of the SGIP rebate in a couple of weeks. Whatever that means. I am not comfortable to move forward with so much uncertainties.

I signed my documents on Thursday night. Having two PV installs and inverters seems to have made this a bit of a mess. Despite upgrading to a 200A panel before our first SolarCity PV install, we'll need a second one for load concentration from the two Powerwalls in between the main panel and the gateway. That's going to bump up the price by another $2500.

I'm hoping we get into the second tier for SGIP to offset this. We are in SoCal Edison territory, so that will help with those chances.

For people looking to go with a PV system and Powerwall, try to get the entire system planned and installed at once. Due to availability and wanting to get going with a non-fossil fuel energy source as soon as possible, we did ours piece-meal. The solution will be a lot cheaper and simpler if you get it all at once.

I signed my documents on Thursday night. Having two PV installs and inverters seems to have made this a bit of a mess. Despite upgrading to a 200A panel before our first SolarCity PV install, we'll need a second one for load concentration from the two Powerwalls in between the main panel and the gateway. That's going to bump up the price by another $2500.

I'm hoping we get into the second tier for SGIP to offset this. We are in SoCal Edison territory, so that will help with those chances.

For people looking to go with a PV system and Powerwall, try to get the entire system planned and installed at once. Due to availability and wanting to get going with a non-fossil fuel energy source as soon as possible, we did ours piece-meal. The solution will be a lot cheaper and simpler if you get it all at once.
For the second tier SGIP for SCE, is it possible that you might not get anything at all?

I have the design / agreement from SolarCity that I have yet to sign. Is it already too late to get in the SGIP rebate?

For the second tier SGIP for SCE, is it possible that you might not get anything at all?

I have the design / agreement from SolarCity that I have yet to sign. Is it already too late to get in the SGIP rebate?

I have to talk to our concierge about the likelihood of a rebate. He said that "round one closed this past week." Perhaps I should be more careful about what I state. I don't know if "round one" and "tier one" are the same thing.

There is a link higher up in this thread that shows how the first rebates are being disbursed for SGIP 2017 in California. Residential installs that can provide 10 kW to the grid were getting $10,000 to $12,500. Tier 2 - assuming that is what is still left for residential installations connected to SoCal Edison - would be about 80% of that.

I have to talk to our concierge about the likelihood of a rebate. He said that "round one closed this past week." Perhaps I should be more careful about what I state. I don't know if "round one" and "tier one" are the same thing.

There is a link higher up in this thread that shows how the first rebates are being disbursed for SGIP 2017 in California. Residential installs that can provide 10 kW to the grid were getting $10,000 to $12,500. Tier 2 - assuming that is what is still left for residential installations connected to SoCal Edison - would be about 80% of that.
When I received my agreement the lady said they'll be doing "second wave" in the next couple of weeks. So yea I don't know if that's equivalent to the tiers.

For people looking to go with a PV system and Powerwall, try to get the entire system planned and installed at once.
I would really love to do that but Tesla can't give me any sort of timeframe on getting powerwalls installed. I point blank asked them last Monday if they thought I would have them installed by September and the lady told me she had no idea. That's a long time to just sit here waiting on Tesla when the cash for the project is already set aside.

I would really love to do that but Tesla can't give me any sort of timeframe on getting powerwalls installed. I point blank asked them last Monday if they thought I would have them installed by September and the lady told me she had no idea. That's a long time to just sit here waiting on Tesla when the cash for the project is already set aside.

A couple of things that might help.

1. The rebate can be applied for once you have a signed contract. The rebate won't be paid until the installation is complete and verified.
2. There are 5 steps in the incentive program. When each step is completed, there is a two week pause before the next step is open for applications.

So even if a system cannot be installed until September or later, if you signed a contract tomorrow, the rebate can be applied for by the time the next step opens.

Good luck.

How long after submitting all the DocuSign paper work, did you get notification of qualification the SGIP rebate?

I signed my PW2 purchase agreement on 4/7. On 4/25 I signed the SGIP rebate forms. The forms were submitted to the SGIP program on 5/1 when the program reopened. I received acknowledgment from the SGIP rebate site on 5/2 that I was assigned in the step 1 tier for the rebate.

Step 1 tier was filled and closed almost immediately on the 1st or second day. So, the next application period for step 2 should open on 5/15 or 5/16 depending on your service provider.