Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Storm Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else putting their Powerwalls at 80% backup mode tonight, ready for tomorrows Storm?

Think I'll run them down today to 8%, fill them overnight to 100% ... and set backup to 80% and run off the Grid tomorrow, just in case 💣💢
I’m kinda looking forward to the first proper power cut and being the only house in the neighbourhood with the lights on ;)

Vast majority is underground cables around my house, so I may have had a few seconds of power cuts over the last couple of years.

Reactions: PITA
Have there been any reports of fires started by Powerwalls?
Must admit I hadn’t considered that when I fitted both of mine indoors…

No not really... but it's still a massive battery that takes ages to put out if the worst happens.

Even the toxic smoke from a fire isn't going to be great is it...

So, on balance, my family comes first 😊

I even park my Tesla M3P under my Neighbours house, away from our front door... 😇

I’m kinda looking forward to the first proper power cut and being the only house in the neighbourhood with the lights on ;)

Vast majority is underground cables around my house, so I may have had a few seconds of power cuts over the last couple of years.

It's happened to me twice now... try not to get to excited as it draws scowls from your neighbours 😄😁

I proactively turn off our outside house wall & garden lights... just so it doesn't look like I'm taking the p!

And I was upset yesterday 'cos the power came back on early evening before it was really dark enough to wind up the neighbours:D

Haha... I've got some outdoor plug sockets scattered around the perimeter of our land. Use them for Xmas lights, hoovers, lawn mowers, jet washers, corded power tools, phone chargers etc...

But in a blackout, for an Emergency I can reel an extension cable from one of them to my Neighbour to share our Tesla Juice if needed👍

Last edited:
Have there been any reports of fires started by Powerwalls?
Must admit I hadn’t considered that when I fitted both of mine indoors…

Have a read of these two articles... it discusses the fire risks of installing high capacity batteries inside buildings...

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Ahh... only 65 mph Winds forecast tomorrow...

Screenshot_20220217-163618_Chrome.jpg

Powerwalls are the NCA battery type (outside is safer) and they would be mad not to switch to LFP.
I'm hoping Tesla switch to the cheaper iron based chemistry and/or the UK cuts the VAT on home batteries to reduce the up-front costs.

This thread has reminded me to ask, what's a typical Powerwall install cost these days in the UK? Still supply constrained so priced high?

Old school solution here. Power went off for 3 hrs yesterday so fired up the 7KVA genny. First time in anger for 4 years. Just a PITA daisy chaining cable reels. So far 4 companies have been to survey and never returned re panels and batteries...

I asked many companies for quotes up here in NEScotland, most never came back, a couple said that as there were no Powerwalls available for more than a year they weren’t prepared to quote. One came back with a quote and an optimistic date of 2023 !!! I ordered from them because they had put in a special request for more panels and as they had previously done work for HM at Balmoral I felt Elon might come up trumps for them - some hope. So all ordered but no installation until next year at thE earliest.

So it’s relying on my Champion gennie if we lose power (we were off for 5 days during Arwen and 2 during Corrie)