Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi again,
Getting excited about our MYLR delivery soon so doing some prep. I called my local window tint mob today and asked about PPF. They do apply film but the guy told me that the effective life of a PPF installation is only 3-4 years before it becomes brittle and starts to break down. He claimed that once that happens, the film is very difficult to remove. He quoted me for a partial application on MY is something over $4K. Hmmm! At that rate I reckon it would be better to deal with the chips and have a repair done every 12 months or so. Anyone have longer term experience with PPF?

Hi again,
Getting excited about our MYLR delivery soon so doing some prep. I called my local window tint mob today and asked about PPF. They do apply film but the guy told me that the effective life of a PPF installation is only 3-4 years before it becomes brittle and starts to break down. He claimed that once that happens, the film is very difficult to remove. He quoted me for a partial application on MY is something over $4K. Hmmm! At that rate I reckon it would be better to deal with the chips and have a repair done every 12 months or so. Anyone have longer term experience with PPF?
PPF, a reputable brand like xpel or 3m, is normally guaranteed for 10 years if applied by a licensed dealer to that product. Old PPF used to be brittle and yellow easily. Technology has changed. But as with all car cleaning items, if you take care of your car and wash often and protect the PPF it will last. 5k normally gets the whole car wrapped. I have had 5500 for a whole car. This includes tucking in and ensuring all panels are covered and minimal edges exposed with a ceramic coating on top.

I didn't do it because it was almost 10% of my cars value. At 5% it becomes a bit more worth it but it's a lot of money.

Reactions: Power Hungry
PPF, a reputable brand like xpel or 3m, is normally guaranteed for 10 years if applied by a licensed dealer to that product. Old PPF used to be brittle and yellow easily. Technology has changed. But as with all car cleaning items, if you take care of your car and wash often and protect the PPF it will last. 5k normally gets the whole car wrapped. I have had 5500 for a whole car. This includes tucking in and ensuring all panels are covered and minimal edges exposed with a ceramic coating on top.

I didn't do it because it was almost 10% of my cars value. At 5% it becomes a bit more worth it but it's a lot of money.
Thanks for the reply. I've never had PPF done before despite having 'so called' luxury cars (BMW/MB) for the past 35 years. But the front of the Tesla Y and 3 is seriously exposed to damage so I though I'd consider it. This guy told me that the 3M PPF warranty is short so I have no idea what to think.

Had a PPF wrap for about 2 or 3 years now, still looks like new. Also had a ceramic coat put on top of the wrap which is in need of a reapplication, booking in soon to get this done, it is a free 'maintenance coat'.
Cost for the whole car was more than that quoted above but the X is bigger. Overall very happy with it, wish I had got it done when the car was delivered.

Had a PPF wrap for about 2 or 3 years now, still looks like new. Also had a ceramic coat put on top of the wrap which is in need of a reapplication, booking in soon to get this done, it is a free 'maintenance coat'.
Cost for the whole car was more than that quoted above but the X is bigger. Overall very happy with it, wish I had got it done when the car was delivered.
A premium ceramic coating should not require recoating after 2-3 years. Could be because it’s on film?

Based on the stone chip pattern on my car's hood after driving 40,000 KM mostly on highways, I can only recommend paint protection film (PPF) if you want to maintain your car's condition. I have noticed stone chips that have gone through the paint to the bare metal, which I have never experienced with my previous cars. If you do not care about the appearance of your car or the reduced resale value due to the damage, you may not need PPF. However, in my case, I expect the stone chip damage to decrease my car's value by less than $4000 due to my careful driving and maintenance habits. Nonetheless, if you drive less than I do, the impact on your car's value may be even greater. Overall, I find the paint quality and durability of Tesla's paint to be unsatisfactory.

Based on the stone chip pattern on my car's hood after driving 40,000 KM mostly on highways, I can only recommend paint protection film (PPF) if you want to maintain your car's condition. I have noticed stone chips that have gone through the paint to the bare metal, which I have never experienced with my previous cars. If you do not care about the appearance of your car or the reduced resale value due to the damage, you may not need PPF. However, in my case, I expect the stone chip damage to decrease my car's value by less than $4000 due to my careful driving and maintenance habits. Nonetheless, if you drive less than I do, the impact on your car's value may be even greater. Overall, I find the paint quality and durability of Tesla's paint to be unsatisfactory.
The thing is, there is a mobile service up here that looks after paintwork, (stone chips, scratches etc) and I've iused them on a number of occasions with our E class Benz. Something like $300-400 per visit for touch ups etc and I've only done it twice in 2 years so maybe once a year for a major touch up would be best.

After 3.5 years with my M3P I can see where I would consider putting PPF next time.

1. Bumper, but I'm going to get that replaced anyway. Wife banged into it when reversing in a panic after hitting something else, and I scuffed a wooden post when parking. Thus, I wonder if it's just cheaper to replace the bumper (I was quoted $8xx around 2 years ago, I presume it's a bit more expensive now) since PPF can't protect from likely damage over the life of the car anyway.
2. Bonnet and the two left/right wing panels.
3. The lower panels on the sides.

The rest of the car is fine apart from the windscreen that has a number of nicks. I'm not sure what one can do to prevent that with all the rules on putting films on the windscreen. Again, something for me to check next time.

I've never had PPF done before despite having 'so called' luxury cars (BMW/MB) for the past 35 years. But the front of the Tesla Y and 3 is seriously exposed to damage so I though I'd consider it.

Everyone’s experience is different, but my Model 3 is 3.5 years old, has done some decent highway drives (including unsealed), and the front is fine. No stone chips that I have noticed. I did have the car ceramic coated only a few days after delivery, but that was to make it easier to wash. Which it does.

After some of the long country drives we have done, the front has been impressively bug-splattered, but washing it off has been a snack.

US - Texas here, I use Suntec and 6 years now, no problem at all, the car looks like the first day, and it survived all the highway travel/trucks here. I did replace the hood piece two years ago - there is a tiny nit - size of the tip of a toothpick, no damage to the paint only the film, hardly noticeable unless I am washing the car, easily replaced.

Agreed! List the top three brands in your state then go to their web sites where you will find a list of authorised fitting shops.
Try to use an established shop; a ten year warranty sounds great as long there is someone around to honour it if required.

PPF to the front end up to and including the A pillar and along the bottom of the doors to the height of the crease line and as far as the rear wheel arches to meet the lower section of theTesla applied PPF, works well.
I have this on the Y with the remainder of the car coated with a premium ceramic.
This is my first foray into the expensive world of PPF. So far so good.
I have had ceramic on one other car which worked well if you wash your own car in the prescribed manner.

Last edited:
I have Suntek Film on my car.

The front bumper, bonnet, side mirror housings and back bumper.

I chose the thicker film which is supposed to last ten years. Any marks in the film end up evening themselves out if you put it in the sun. I can confirm from experience.

It cost me $3600AUD.

I have had a few stone hits that would have removed paint, so I’m happy with the protection.

The film is UV transparent so the paint underneath is aging at the same rate as the non-covered paint - no colour difference.

The car is coming up to 4 years old and the film hasn’t changed.

• Informative
Reactions: louco73
Agreed! List the top three brands in your state then go to their web sites where you will find a list of authorised fitting shops.
Try to use an established shop; a ten year warranty sounds great as long there is someone around to honour it if required.

PPF to the front end up to and including the A pillar and along the bottom of the doors to the height of the crease line and as far as the rear wheel arches to meet the lower section of theTesla applied PPF, works well.
I have this on the Y with the remainder of the car coated with a premium ceramic.
This is my first foray into the expensive world of PPF. So far so good.
I have had ceramic on one other car which worked well if you wash your own car in the prescribed manner.
I've had our last 4 vehicles done with ceramic(?) (the liquid) and the paintwork has been like new after an average of about 5 years of ownership. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Judging by the responses from PPF users here, I'm beginning to think that the franchise I've always used in the past has a problem with PPF. They were most unenthusiastic (read 'We can do it if you really want it'). The girl at our local branch told me 3M film only has a short life... I've since learned it's 10 years. What put me off was that it's most unusual for a company in the 'vehicle' protection industry bagging PPF.

I have PPF (Suntek) with ceramic on both of my non Tesla's and would never own another vehicle without it. It will be going on my Model Y when it arrives as well. Other then protecting from stone chips and other common scratches, think kids school bags, tree branches etc it will also protect against minor door opening dings etc. Obviously if its hard enough to dent the metal it wont but it if its minor it will.

To me the other big selling point is that it makes washing the car a breeze and my other vehicles which are 18 months and 4 years old still look like new with minimal effort. I get that this isn't a big deal for everyone but if its something you value consider it.

I have PPF (Suntek) with ceramic on both of my non Tesla's and would never own another vehicle without it. It will be going on my Model Y when it arrives as well. Other then protecting from stone chips and other common scratches, think kids school bags, tree branches etc it will also protect against minor door opening dings etc. Obviously if its hard enough to dent the metal it wont but it if its minor it will.

To me the other big selling point is that it makes washing the car a breeze and my other vehicles which are 18 months and 4 years old still look like new with minimal effort. I get that this isn't a big deal for everyone but if its something you value consider it.
The only drawback to PPF in the UK is the underwriters attitude; they don't like it.
( They are not crazy about EVs at all and this is reflected in the premiums).

Some will not provide cover for vehicles with it at all, others will not cover the PPF replacement cost element of collision repairs and finally one or two will cover it with a premium hike.
Does the Australian insurance market provide cover that includes the PPF?

Washing the car with PPF and/or a good ceramic coating is indeed a breeze. The latter also performs well on alloys,

The only drawback to PPF in the UK is the underwriters attitude; they don't like it.
( They are not crazy about EVs at all and this is reflected in the premiums).

Some will not provide cover for vehicles with it at all, others will not cover the PPF replacement cost element of collision repairs and finally one or two will cover it with a premium hike.
Does the Australian insurance market provide cover that includes the PPF?

Washing the car with PPF and/or a good ceramic coating is indeed a breeze. The latter also performs well on alloys,
Just an update from Aus. I found premiums for our yet to be delivered MYLR are quite okay considering, about $1,200 per year with a few extras tacked on. Also, our current insurer on our E class Benz said PPF wasn't a problem and doesn't attract a premium.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
If I had a performance or a long range, I would at least do a front end PPF as well as frunk. My model y now only has 2 tiny chips and they're on the frunk lid. Easy enough to fix. I don't like how the texture and color will be slightly different when a PPF is installed so I would do the whole front. Not partial