Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF installer recommendation in the Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, Obviously I am being a bit biased here but we've gota pretty good team here at Mum Sports that's done over 100's of Tesla cars for the years. We would be happy to take care of you. just give us a call 510-462-3797 . and mention "TMC FORUM" and we'll give you a 10% discount overall. We have exceptional quality technicians who are meticulous in the work they do and we are also a certified and authorized XPEL PPF Dealer. We have pretty good reviews from our clients as well to give you a sense of the quality of work we do. We'd love to gain you as a customer.

Reactions: Macbest
After extensive research, I chose Precision Automotive Paint Correction shop in Santa Clara due to a recommendation from a friend of mine, and I am glad I went with them. They offered one of the lowest prices of any shop I contacted. They did an awesome job fully wrapping my new Tesla M3P in Suntek Ultra (they also offer STEK), and wrapped all the edges beautifully. It looked better afterward than bare paint in my opinion. They also do window tinting, which I may have done later. I highly recommend this shop. The picture was taken right after being fully wrapped.
20230720_180513.jpg

Question since I'm a PPF idiot/n00b who recently got PPF on a Mercedes GLS.

I went to a highly-rated (5 stars on Yelp installer) shop in NorCal that charged more than other local places. So I assumed "pay the premium $ and bask in awesome PPF! What's the big deal?" The shop does Lambos, Porsches, Range Rovers, and has mega-positive rave reviews on yelp and I heard positive things from a neighbor.

It turns out there are subtleties to PPF that for some reason nobody ever discusses on threads like this. What I've learned is that you the customer are 100% required up front to define what you will find tolerable and what is not tolerable for a "quality" PPF install that you're paying big bucks for.

There's a general theme that bubbles over a certain size, trapped dirt, and lift lines are definite deal breaker at quality shops. So, most quality PPF folks will remedy these types of things for their own reputation because these are the things people usually see and complain about.

BUT.

Here's what I learned is a common obscure PPF "wrinkle" (pun). This super high-end-PPF-guy still allows some Chicken Skin (or Chicken Skinning). He said it's impossible to do a whole car without some of this showing up. For example, below is a cluster of chicken skin blemishes on my hood that together is about the diameter of a dime. The chicken skin kind of looks like some tight chicken skin; the cluster of pinpoints resembles chicken hair follicles. And, I learned this happens when the moisture of that area is slightly too high (but not high enough to form a pocket). It gets a bit better once the PPF heats up a bit during the first few weeks, but it never goes away completely.

Tints and shades Wood Ceiling Plaster Fluorescent lamp

The shop owner said he personally did the hood, and this passes his 5-star sniff test. He said the problem is the GLS is black... most cars with color, metallic paint, or pearlescent paint would obscure this. And, you couldn't notice this chicken skin at all unless you were a perfectionist. So, unless you the customer tell him up front "absolutely no chicken skin", he allows this to pass his 5-star-high-end QC. Because, if you really wanted absolutely no chicken skin; it'd cost a ton more since his chance of getting it perfect go down a lot. So he has to price that into materials/labor that he may be attempting the hood 4 times.

Also, he says sub-1mm film pinpoints are ok. And therefore a cluster of sub 1mm pinpoints is ok. As long as it doesn't protrude (like a big dirt bubble). So 1mm little spots are to be expected and will be normal on PPF. I learned if a customer wants "glass like surface with zero little pockets or chicken skin" he'd probably just reject the customer lol.

What do you guys think? Other than this chicken skin spot, the PPF does look really good. But I wonder what's the deal with Chicken Skin and normal customer expectations? Would your installers re-do an entire hood over this without charging the customer? Or would your installers simply disclose up front to a person with a all-black car that chicken skin was an issue before the PPF was applied?

• Informative
Reactions: Macbest
Question since I'm a PPF idiot/n00b who recently got PPF on a Mercedes GLS.

I went to a highly-rated (5 stars on Yelp installer) shop in NorCal that charged more than other local places. So I assumed "pay the premium $ and bask in awesome PPF! What's the big deal?" The shop does Lambos, Porsches, Range Rovers, and has mega-positive rave reviews on yelp and I heard positive things from a neighbor.

It turns out there are subtleties to PPF that for some reason nobody ever discusses on threads like this. What I've learned is that you the customer are 100% required up front to define what you will find tolerable and what is not tolerable for a "quality" PPF install that you're paying big bucks for.

There's a general theme that bubbles over a certain size, trapped dirt, and lift lines are definite deal breaker at quality shops. So, most quality PPF folks will remedy these types of things for their own reputation because these are the things people usually see and complain about.

BUT.

Here's what I learned is a common obscure PPF "wrinkle" (pun). This super high-end-PPF-guy still allows some Chicken Skin (or Chicken Skinning). He said it's impossible to do a whole car without some of this showing up. For example, below is a cluster of chicken skin blemishes on my hood that together is about the diameter of a dime. The chicken skin kind of looks like some tight chicken skin; the cluster of pinpoints resembles chicken hair follicles. And, I learned this happens when the moisture of that area is slightly too high (but not high enough to form a pocket). It gets a bit better once the PPF heats up a bit during the first few weeks, but it never goes away completely.

Tints and shades Wood Ceiling Plaster Fluorescent lamp

The shop owner said he personally did the hood, and this passes his 5-star sniff test. He said the problem is the GLS is black... most cars with color, metallic paint, or pearlescent paint would obscure this. And, you couldn't notice this chicken skin at all unless you were a perfectionist. So, unless you the customer tell him up front "absolutely no chicken skin", he allows this to pass his 5-star-high-end QC. Because, if you really wanted absolutely no chicken skin; it'd cost a ton more since his chance of getting it perfect go down a lot. So he has to price that into materials/labor that he may be attempting the hood 4 times.

Also, he says sub-1mm film pinpoints are ok. And therefore a cluster of sub 1mm pinpoints is ok. As long as it doesn't protrude (like a big dirt bubble). So 1mm little spots are to be expected and will be normal on PPF. I learned if a customer wants "glass like surface with zero little pockets or chicken skin" he'd probably just reject the customer lol.

What do you guys think? Other than this chicken skin spot, the PPF does look really good. But I wonder what's the deal with Chicken Skin and normal customer expectations? Would your installers re-do an entire hood over this without charging the customer? Or would your installers simply disclose up front to a person with an all-black car that chicken skin was an issue before the PPF was applied?
I’m not sure how much you paid for this but assuming you paid a premium price and didn’t get a ”deal”, I’d expect premium quality and if something like this popped up, I’d want it fixed. The shop I’ve gone to for 3 of my Teslas, if I noticed something like this, they’d fix with no questions asked. They wouldn’t give me a story about “customer expectations.” Customer expectations are if I’m paying premium price I’m getting premium quality work and if that’s not the case I expect it to be made right with minimal fuss.

I’m not sure how much you paid for this but assuming you paid a premium price and didn’t get a ”deal”, I’d expect premium quality and if something like this popped up, I’d want it fixed. The shop I’ve gone to for 3 of my Teslas, if I noticed something like this, they’d fix with no questions asked. They wouldn’t give me a story about “customer expectations.” Customer expectations are if I’m paying premium price I’m getting premium quality work and if that’s not the case I expect it to be made right with minimal fuss.

I thought I was going to a premium 5-star shop (paid 20% more than other quotes).

But I’ve since learned there are an even more premium guy that I’ll try next time.

Bottom line, you the customer need to be upfront about what is acceptable or not. Can’t wait until after the fact to bicker if chicken skin is ok.

Reactions: 1100MCM
This was helpful. I had a similar experience getting my Infiniti Q50RS PPF installed. Went to a premium shop with a great reputation and there were a few things I noticed that were not as good as expected:
  • I noticed a small trapped hair or fiber when inspecting with a detail light,
  • appears paint on the edge of this freshly painted bumper had an imperfection (or something with the film) -- this should have been called out if the painter messed up
  • and there is a seam along the lower bumper I would have expected to not be there (maybe unavoidable - but wasn't made aware of that).
I will take the car back to the shop to see what can be done but I would expect better from a shop so highly reviewed.

In any case, I am being very careful shopping around for our new Model Y PPF installer. I just want a high quality job done at a decent price - feel like I overpaid for my Infiniti