Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Condition for non-Tesla Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my CCS adaptor, which is finally available it North America. However, is there a way to pre-condition the battery when heading to a non-Tesla supercharger?

Ideally I would like Tesla to treat 3rd party CCS superchargers as a Tesla Supercharge in the navigation. For example, having them automatically added to the route if there is no Tesla supercharger in the path. Personally, I find it hard to imagine Tesla doing that, since it would drive people away from their superchargers, but from a customer perspective, it would be awesome when travelling. In the other hand, if the charging station is busy, it would actually help them.

just put a near supercharger in as destination first then navigate to ccs. The car will warm the battery thinking its getting ready to charge. Then you can DC fast charge at a non-tesla site with your CCS adapter.
I guess I was thinking more where you don’t have a Tesla super charger (SC) close by. For example, I was going to Gaspe in northern Quebec, (Canada) and at the moment there is no SC there. It would be nice if the car considered the CCS chargers… there are lots in Quebec.
Of course, the other reason to use other SC is $$, at least in Canada.

Upvote 0
I guess I was thinking more where you don’t have a Tesla super charger (SC) close by. For example, I was going to Gaspe in northern Quebec, (Canada) and at the moment there is no SC there. It would be nice if the car considered the CCS chargers… there are lots in Quebec.
Of course, the other reason to use other SC is $$, at least in Canada.
good point. Never been to Quebec so my sense of geography is not helpful. EA here in Ohio is close to tesla supercharger sites (for the most part).

Look forward to hearing what others say.

Again I stayed at a holiday inn express so take my advice with a grain of salt: I bet Tesla will thermal manage the battery to prevent any harm while charging so worst case you just do not get the full KW while charging till the battery gets to a "safe" temp.

Reactions: in2survive
Upvote 0
I wonder if Tesla will add a FOURTH Charger option to select CCS locations from within the Nav.
In Europe they already list some 3rd party CCS chargers. Even in the US EVgo sites with a CHAdeMO adapter are listed in the two lightning bolt section.

Now that they are selling the adapter I'm guessing that they will add an option somewhere to indicate that you have a CCS adapter.

Upvote 0
Tesla has officially announced how they are going to maintain the 3rd party charger listings in the car, starting in Europe and Israel:

Qualified Charging Station Requirements

For a charging station to be included in Tesla’s navigation system, it must meet these conditions over a 60-day period:

1. At least one compatible charging connector
  2. Frequently used by Tesla drivers at least once every four days
  3. Average charge success rate is 90% or higher
To detect inoperable chargers quickly and provide the best experience for our customers, stations will be removed from Tesla’s navigation system if any of the following conditions are met over a 14-day period:

1. No charge sessions detected
  2. Average charge success rate falls below 70%

I wonder how long before they expand that to start covering North America. (Not that, from my experience, many EA sites would qualify.)

Upvote 0
I need to look into these. Do not know much about them.
Very long thread on these with the developer in the house.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Upvote 0
I ordered my CCS adaptor, which is finally available it North America. However, is there a way to pre-condition the battery when heading to a non-Tesla supercharger?

Ideally I would like Tesla to treat 3rd party CCS superchargers as a Tesla Supercharge in the navigation. For example, having them automatically added to the route if there is no Tesla supercharger in the path. Personally, I find it hard to imagine Tesla doing that, since it would drive people away from their superchargers, but from a customer perspective, it would be awesome when travelling. In the other hand, if the charging station is busy, it would actually help them.
I would like to express really strong support for your sentiment. Tesla now sells its own CCS1 adaptor for $350 Can (not cheap) and it makes sense to support it in navigation software ( along with their J1772 adaptor) especially in Canada where Tesla has few chargers in outlying areas. Quebec is arguably Canada's most progressive province for EV's and you can get around it pretty well even in some northern areas where the nearest Superchargers are pretty distant. From my point of view the really important thing in supporting these non-Tesla chargers in navigation is enabling the preconditioning of the battery for the charging stop. That's part of effective vehicle maintenance and it does not make sense to drive customers preferentially only to (non-existent) Tesla chargers while at the same time Tesla chargers are being increasingly opened up to non-Tesla drivers. Otherwise it can become a lose-lose for Tesla owners.

Reactions: primedive
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Bumping this thread. Totally nuts to sell the CCS1 adapter and provide no way to pre-condition the car without insane work-arounds that require a Supercharger to be close enough to trick the car to pre-condition. This should be a simple button in the app or energy screen. Insane there's no option for this.
even worse in my limited CCS charging experience... the CCS does not increase the charging power from the initial handshake phase... so if youre car tells it the max power is like 25kw when you first plug it in.. the charger may not increase as the battery warms up ... at least that was my experience on the only occasion i tried it

Upvote 0