Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre facelift headlights in new model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2017 March 90D for a few days but had been driving a pre face lift P90D loaner for about a month. Other than the amazing acceleration and more solid AP1, I noticed that the old headlights seems to be a lot better, specially the low beam. They through a brighter, more even beam that cuts off nicely at the top. The new LED are dimmer and has an uneven pattern.

I did some Googling and confirmed that the old lights are indeed better, and the new ones are in fact poorly rated by IIHS.

So... is it possible to retro fit the old lights in a face lifted model S? Do any one know if Tesla will be updating the lights soon? If so, do you think a retrofit to the new ones will be possible?

I had a 2017 March 90D for a few days but had been driving a pre face lift P90D loaner for about a month. Other than the amazing acceleration and more solid AP1, I noticed that the old headlights seems to be a lot better, specially the low beam. They through a brighter, more even beam that cuts off nicely at the top. The new LED are dimmer and has an uneven pattern.

I did some Googling and confirmed that the old lights are indeed better, and the new ones are in fact poorly rated by IIHS.

So... is it possible to retro fit the old lights in a face lifted model S? Do any one know if Tesla will be updating the lights soon? If so, do you think a retrofit to the new ones will be possible?

No, and there is a giant thread about this -- enjoy the read! Optimized Optics: High Performance Headlights, Improved Output & Improved Aesthetics

Evan from the other light upgrade thread said that the new lights use some different control module and is not compatible with his upgrade. I do think Tesla will release an improved headlight soon, as they will not let a poor IIHS headlight rating stand. I can only hope there is a way to retro fit it in for us.

Reactions: croman
Evan from the other light upgrade thread said that the new lights use some different control module and is not compatible with his upgrade. I do think Tesla will release an improved headlight soon, as they will not let a poor IIHS headlight rating stand. I can only hope there is a way to retro fit it in for us.

Lets hope they don't just leave us behind.

Reactions: Tech_Guy
The original HID lights are pretty terrible as far as HIDs go. They use low quality, shallow projectors.

The LEDs are even worse though. Tesla had a real chance to improve things with the LEDs and chose to shill some mediocre LED setup as an upgrade. Worse yet, they refer to the system as adaptive and insinuate it sees around bends. Anyone that's driven any HID equipped BMW in the last 12 years will tell you that not only are the lights not adaptive but they're not even at parity with 10 year old technology.

For the life of me I don't understand why Tesla goes nuts on metrics people never asked for and then just completely ignore the important stuff. Add a 1/2 second back to the 0-60 time and give me headlights that don't suck and I'd be just as happy.

For the life of me I don't understand why Tesla goes nuts on metrics people never asked for and then just completely ignore the important stuff. Add a 1/2 second back to the 0-60 time and give me headlights that don't suck and I'd be just as happy.
The reason is simple: Elon Musk. All he cares about is performance and Autopilot. Four years into Model S and Tesla is still having trouble getting the chrome trim aligned properly. It's time we realize one thing - Musk cares little for quality and even less for keeping Tesla's cars on par feature-wise with other vehicles in the same price class. Just compare Model S to a brand new BMW 7 Series and you'll see just how advanced other manufacturers are compared to Tesla. I think it's really embarrassing for Tesla, to tell you the truth.

I won't necessary agree that a 7series is more advanced than a model S. The model S power train cannot even be compared to and the freedom of the UX, OTA update and of course AP is way ahead of BMW. I do agree that it lacks basic creature comfort stuff like sensible locations for cup holders, sunglasses holder, brighter interior lights, door pockets etc... and the headlights, well that is just a disappointment. I hope they will roll out a fix that can be applied to older cars too.

Last edited:
The reason is simple: Elon Musk. All he cares about is performance and Autopilot. Four years into Model S and Tesla is still having trouble getting the chrome trim aligned properly. It's time we realize one thing - Musk cares little for quality and even less for keeping Tesla's cars on par feature-wise with other vehicles in the same price class. Just compare Model S to a brand new BMW 7 Series and you'll see just how advanced other manufacturers are compared to Tesla. I think it's really embarrassing for Tesla, to tell you the truth.

I agree with the sentiment but I wouldn't say they're more advanced . But I see what your saying. How pathetic is it that Tesla has given us an oppressively quick car that almost drives itself but has headlights worse than a Toyota Corolla and isn't able to connect to your phone through USB? In some ways we're driving the most technologically advanced car ever made; in others we're driving a base Model Nissan Versa. I think Tesla goes as Elon goes and I don't think Elon cares about the gadgets but the demographic does. I live in Hollywood where the money is plentiful and I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that would own a Model S if only... And the if only ends up being any number of features that Tesla doesn't think people want but that they actually do.

How is Tesla going to differentiate the Model 3 from the S in terms of perceived luxury? The interior of the S is hardly luxurious. So while I hear Elon insisting that the S is still going to be the flagship model, I have a hard time envisioning what Tesla can strip from the interior because the S has almost no creature comforts. Someone name a luxury appointment the Model S's interior has that they can remove to differentiate the car from the 3. You can't. They need to improve the S quickly or they're going to cannibalize their own sales.

And that's why I think they have a real problem in BMW and Audi in the next few years because I'll be honest... There are plenty of times I miss my old 5 series, it's giant full color heads up display, the Comfort seats, the adaptive LED lights that wrap around not only curves but also other cars so that the high beams are always on without blinding other cars, the gorgeous interior and more specifically all the attention to detail the Tesla lacks. If BMW came out with a 5 series with a comparable drivetrain to the S I'd jettison the S so fast it's cheap headlights would spin.

We're in a short term race here and I hope Tesla is taking it seriously. They are past the point where people are willing to forgive these large omissions. Either Tesla is going to have to move the Tesla substantially upmarket without changing the price point (because it's already expensive) or BMW, Audi and the likes are going to stick similar powertrains in cars people already love and all of the sudden there won't be any need to compromise with a Tesla.

All that said, Tesla hired Volvo's head of interior design. So it seems like they see the writing on the wall. As of right now though, seriously...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Btr_ftw