Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Precondition battery iOS app update out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No red button to press in my case - same image of the car pre-heating as usual w/o the new battery precondition image [button?] in the center. I still don't know if that was due to the battery not being cold enough to enable the feature, or that I was not plugged in. I do hope being plugged in is NOT an absolute requirement, as it diminishes the value of this feature for some of us. In my case, I have a short commute and will almost always have my car in the 70-80% charge range at the end of the work day. I'd prefer to put some of that energy into battery preconditioning to have fully functional regen so I can remain a single-pedal driver.
Preheating without being plugged in just wastes power. The motors generate some power when they run which can heat the battery. Having to use the battery charge to preheat the battery is a waste and serves no useful purpose.

Any idea what these snowflake icons mean? Car has been outside, I believe, sitting in the cold for ~24 hours not plugged in (it's at the service center) ... but shows this snowflake on the battery icon, and a sliver of blue color as well.

ngF4xKO.png

phsFfe6.png
It means your battery is cold enough that range is reduced. The green bar is the amount of range available while it's still cold. Once it warms, you'll get back the amount in the blue bar.

The blue bar shows the amount of range loss due to the cold battery.

Reactions: sc123
Preheating without being plugged in just wastes power. The motors generate some power when they run which can heat the battery. Having to use the battery charge to preheat the battery is a waste and serves no useful purpose.

I understand your position. In my case, I have a relatively short commute and am not overly concerned about applying battery charge to heat battery in advance of the ride home. I would prefer a some regen over none. If my ride needed most of my available charge to get home, I would plugin - but I don't need to.