Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
misuse of kW and kWh leads to genuine confusion IME.

Yep. That's why I pay
particular attention to ensure I'm using the units correctly and harangue others especially if they know better.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 5.05.03 PM.png

Bluewaters coal-fired power station written off as worthless as renewables rise

Australian coal-fired power plant bought for $1.2b now 'effectively has no value'

The owners of Australia's newest coal-fired power station have written down the value of the asset to zero, wiping out a $1.2 billion investment in the face of an onslaught of renewable energy.

I tell people not ready for EVs but need a replacement ICE car to buy used. ICE vehicles may become worthless sooner than you think.

I enjoy watching coal die as much as the next person but NG makes me sad. Stanford's Jacobson says NG is worse than coal from a GHG perspective and I don't see any reason to doubt him.
Then stop focusing on CO2. The pollution emitted from coal burning is millions to billions of times greater than NG. Over 6.5 million people die a year from air pollution. It's the #1 cause of cancer. It kills many times more ecologically.
NG plants are also ~45% thermodynamically efficient verses about 35% for coal. So that only leaves extraction as the source for the claim that coal is better. I doubt this assertion too because NG comes with oil extraction. Have you seen what coal strip mines look like? Having run the numbers, NG is the most responsible stop-gap while renewables (wind/tide/solar/etc NOT biomass) ramp up to almost all of our energy generation. Not fission, not coal, not oil, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevehConwy
Then stop focusing on CO2. The pollution emitted from coal burning is millions to billions of times greater than NG. Over 6.5 million people die a year from air pollution. It's the #1 cause of cancer. It kills many times more ecologically.
NG plants are also ~45% thermodynamically efficient verses about 35% for coal. So that only leaves extraction as the source for the claim that coal is better. I doubt this assertion too because NG comes with oil extraction. Have you seen what coal strip mines look like? Having run the numbers, NG is the most responsible stop-gap while renewables (wind/tide/solar/etc NOT biomass) ramp up to almost all of our energy generation. Not fission, not coal, not oil, etc.
You do have to factor in methane leakage. Methane is a powerful (~30x CO2) greenhouse gas.