Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model X price will be reduced to $78K in January 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible in December, MX might drop to $74,999 while 6 seater price reduction to 5k. We’ve seen MY 7 seats discounted from 4k to 2.5k and base price reduction from $52,999 to $49,999.
It's also possible that inventory drops like a rock due to the price drop, Tesla can raise the price again.
My prediction is how this moves by the end of 3rd will determine which way price will go.

It's also possible that inventory drops like a rock due to the price drop, Tesla can raise the price again.
My prediction is how this moves by the end of 3rd will determine which way price will go.

Tesla hasn't changed inventory prices, only new order prices are new, at least in Europe. They should take out the price of the 6 seats from Plaid and then it will sell as new, and ofcourse price the inventory vehicles some 10k below that.

Last edited:
Well I’ll eat my own words but… it’s only the 5 seater under 80k. With 5 kids I wasn’t even considering what the 5 seat price would be.

Yeah, that could be an issue -- if you qualify for the fed tax rebate, the 7-seat option pushes the price up over the threshold. Bummer. Instead of a $3500 option, those extra 2 seats cost $11k if you factor the credit in. Yikes!

If that were to happen, it would further destroy resale values especially on MXs bought last year or early this year. The MX base price (before destination fee, order fee or any potential extra cost options) was $120,990 at the beginning of the year. $78,000 would be more than a 35% retail price reduction in just one year.
I’m down $50k on my ‘22 Plaid

I predict Model X 5-seater will be priced at $78K in January 2024. My reasons:
1) Federal EV tax credit enables SUVs priced under $80K to get $7500 discount. And starting January 1st, this will be a point-of-sale discount, given upfront.
2) Model X Long Range was already priced at $80K from May to December of 2020.
3) Model X production is ramping up heavily now, and providing supply to the whole world from Fremont.
4) Interest rates are high now, and high loan rates push down the prices of expensive luxury vehicles like the X.
5) With price of $78K, you can choose among 4 exterior paint colors, or get white paint with 3 different interiors, and stay under $80K price.
6) Tesla has been discounting the X recently, at end of June there was lots of inventory on Tesla website in the $90K to $92K price range.

Tesla has now dropped their 2023 Model Y price lower than the 2020 Model Y price. They will now do the same for the X. Anything else is just leaving money on the table. Comments/corrections are welcome.
Wow, spot on prediction! Sorry to new MX owners who paid a lot more the last 2 years. Remember Tesla throwing end of year discounts/incentives to Model Y builds EOY2022, they were hyping the tax credit change, then come January 2023, bamm! $16K price drop.

anyone think there’s a chance repeat this January 2024, they will straight up discount MX again to reflect the $7,500 tax rebate (which the website currently says after Dec 31, likely reductions In fed tax rebate)

So Tesla does the fear mongering about tax rebate reduction in 2024 and get as many new orders by Dec 31 as possible. Then January, $79,990 -> $72,500 MX LR AWD

With Tesla, it’s all possible. Lot of Tesla owners were pretty upset Jan 2023, I know I was. I had bought my Y for $64K early 2022. That hurt. I almost swore off Tesla. You know, screw me once shame on you, screw me twice….

But I don’t know how much lower the X can go, but wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more room. But wow, as a customer finding out one overpaid to the tune of $50K would make me never want to buy a Tesla again.

Come Jan, the rebate will be point of sale. The question is whether it stays at $7500. If anything, it would be better that way since your loan would potential be smaller, along with interest paid.

I’ve always felt the X is about a $70K car, and we‘re here now after tax rebate. I think I’m going to wait and roll the dice And just wait. If it goes back up in price, then oh well, guess I’m not buying one. But if it goes down, i wont be angry with Tesla again. :p

Just wait, the inventories are huge, prices will come down in this bear market before end of quarter.
That's somewhat my problem. They assigned a new one to me about a week ago. When I checked I saw that it came over the pond back in April, so produced sometime in March...

I need one in September/October and would like one with Matrix lights which were only produced starting in June/July. Kinda feels like it will take a while to clear the European inventory before new ones will be sent over.

I'm hoping the Matrix can be retrofitted as some people mentioned, that could be an option if I would get a good discount on an inventory model.

Ordered an X in inventory a few hours, only one I saw within 200 miles under 80k so had to go with White which wasn't my first choice but is ok. Submitted trade in for my M3P I bought in January, hoping I can get a decent price before a flood of highland trade ins start getting submitted.

80k - 43k KBB estimate - 7500 tax credit = $29k to upgrade..... Pretty great deal really. I'd have preferred a 3rd row and would have done 10k for the Plaid but its not worth also losing the tax crediy.

I wonder if I could upgrade X with under 1k miles to plaid for not too much? Then I could both get tax credit but also back into a Plaid.

Will really miss the M3P, great car and some tracks I took it on that won't allow SUVs. MX is soo much more practical though and should be much better with resale.

Reactions: cusetownusa
If I had purchased this 22” MXP in cash, and sold it used today, I would have lost about $60k. That’s assuming I can sell a used MXP for 88k but that has now changed. I wager these will drop into the 60-70k range now.

But since it’s a loan, with interest and maintenance costs already accumulating, I would lose roughly $90k to buy the loan out and sell the car.

That’s a loss of 90k conservatively in 12 months. Assuming the used prices drop from 88 to 70 because new MXPs are 89 retail, this has become a 6-figure loss on value in less than a year.

That’s how Elon is going to lose his fan base. He’s lost me.

If I had purchased this 22” MXP in cash, and sold it used today, I would have lost about $60k. That’s assuming I can sell a used MXP for 88k but that has now changed. I wager these will drop into the 60-70k range now.

But since it’s a loan, with interest and maintenance costs already accumulating, I would lose roughly $90k to buy the loan out and sell the car.

That’s a loss of 90k conservatively in 12 months. Assuming the used prices drop from 88 to 70 because new MXPs are 89 retail, this has become a 6-figure loss on value in less than a year.

That’s how Elon is going to lose his fan base. He’s lost me.
Elon has always said he will push volume over profit. The prices are a pure reflection of excess current inventory and previously the 2021/2022 bubble that had prices excessively inflated.

For every fan Tesla has lost they probably will gain many more with the now lowered prices. Now I can understand why some individuals might be upset, unfortunately that's just the cold heartless economics.

I predict Model X 5-seater will be priced at $78K in January 2024. My reasons:
1) Federal EV tax credit enables SUVs priced under $80K to get $7500 discount. And starting January 1st, this will be a point-of-sale discount, given upfront.
2) Model X Long Range was already priced at $80K from May to December of 2020.
3) Model X production is ramping up heavily now, and providing supply to the whole world from Fremont.
4) Interest rates are high now, and high loan rates push down the prices of expensive luxury vehicles like the X.
5) With price of $78K, you can choose among 4 exterior paint colors, or get white paint with 3 different interiors, and stay under $80K price.
6) Tesla has been discounting the X recently, at end of June there was lots of inventory on Tesla website in the $90K to $92K price range.

Tesla has now dropped their 2023 Model Y price lower than the 2020 Model Y price. They will now do the same for the X. Anything else is just leaving money on the table. Comments/corrections are welcome.
Great call on this. Since you obviously have special powers I would like to place a bet on this years World Series. Can u tell me who the winner will be?