Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model X price will be reduced to $78K in January 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Making sense is not a goal of the IRS. They go by the figure on the MSRP sticker and not by what you pay for the car. Therefore, the only way you can get it to $79,990 is by ordering in. I have not seen an inventory car with an MSRP under $80,000. They don't exist. Just don't get caught up and lose your tax credit. I lost mine on my MYP last year that way.

And, of course if you order it, the only option for interior color is BLACK. Choice of Cream or White will put it over the $80,000 IRS MSRP limit.
Gotcha. I thought you meant you couldn’t get the tax credit on any inventory vehicles, even ones below $80k. There were ones below $80k near me but they have all since sold. But ordering one wouldn’t take much longer so no real difference. Obviously if over $80k (inventory or custom order) isn’t eligible.

Gotcha. I thought you meant you couldn’t get the tax credit on any inventory vehicles, even ones below $80k. There were ones below $80k near me but they have all since sold. But ordering one wouldn’t take much longer so no real difference. Obviously if over $80k (inventory or custom order) isn’t eligible.
You can't. Up until this week, there weren't any Model Xs with an MSRP under $80,000. The only ones with an MSRP under $80k must be ordered. I just ordered the UltraRed, unfortunately with Black interior, but the "Bearded Tesla Guy" responded to me and said the cold seat ventilation works very well, so I will live with it.

It does if the MSRP is below $80K. But a dealer mark down for an MSRP above $80k doesn't qualify just as a dealer markup on a vehicle that has an MSRP below $80K where the markup raised it above $80K does qualify. i.e it has nothing to do with what you actually paid but rather the MSRP of the vehicle as configured.

I do wonder, however, if Tesla could sell the Plaid software limited below $80K and then offer a $10K upgrade after the fact but they'd have to sell the more expensive hardware for less to make that work and hope there are enough takers to software unlock it.
I'd pay to be able to do that.

Plaid has different rear motor, front might be the same. I believe Munro said plaids were hardly any extra to produce though.

Saw the price drop for the MX last week and was ready to order. But I didn’t realize it is 5 seat standard. LOL. Only reason for me to get a MX is for the 3rd row. Hopefully Tesla drops price again. At least enough to get the 7 seat with tax credit.

$79K + $3.5K (for 7 seat option) is not enough of a price drop????? Also, if you need 6 seats, there's only a $3K price difference between LR and Plaid.

It does if the MSRP is below $80K. But a dealer mark down for an MSRP above $80k doesn't qualify just as a dealer markup on a vehicle that has an MSRP below $80K where the markup raised it above $80K does qualify. i.e it has nothing to do with what you actually paid but rather the MSRP of the vehicle as configured.

I do wonder, however, if Tesla could sell the Plaid software limited below $80K and then offer a $10K upgrade after the fact but they'd have to sell the more expensive hardware for less to make that work and hope there are enough takers to software unlock it.

That's really smart. I hadn't thought of that, Tesla could make the software limit so drastic that everyone would obviously pay afterr the fact to unlock it. Like what if they sold all their cars for $15k less with a $15k post purchase price to unlock the software. Just software lock the car to 20 miles of range.

That's really smart. I hadn't thought of that, Tesla could make the software limit so drastic that everyone would obviously pay afterr the fact to unlock it. Like what if they sold all their cars for $15k less with a $15k post purchase price to unlock the software. Just software lock the car to 20 miles of range.
And to be fair, this isn't a new idea. They've done this many times in the past with other hardware configurations that they software limit like with the battery and currently with fsd.

And to be fair, this isn't a new idea. They've done this many times in the past with other hardware configurations that they software limit like with the battery and currently with fsd.
Yeah but usually they lock it to a reasonable mileage so that people on a budget can buy the car as-is. Usually it still has above 250 miles of range. The problem is that can lead to negative margins if you price it too low and not enough unlock the software. That's why doing this with an egregiously low mileage solves that issue. Sell it with 50 miles so everyone will pay to unlock

I predict Model X 5-seater will be priced at $78K in January 2024. My reasons:
1) Federal EV tax credit enables SUVs priced under $80K to get $7500 discount. And starting January 1st, this will be a point-of-sale discount, given upfront.
2) Model X Long Range was already priced at $80K from May to December of 2020.
3) Model X production is ramping up heavily now, and providing supply to the whole world from Fremont.
4) Interest rates are high now, and high loan rates push down the prices of expensive luxury vehicles like the X.
5) With price of $78K, you can choose among 4 exterior paint colors, or get white paint with 3 different interiors, and stay under $80K price.
6) Tesla has been discounting the X recently, at end of June there was lots of inventory on Tesla website in the $90K to $92K price range.

Tesla has now dropped their 2023 Model Y price lower than the 2020 Model Y price. They will now do the same for the X. Anything else is just leaving money on the table. Comments/corrections are welcome.
Any prediction for the end of 4th quarter promotion in December? Would it be more discount than current price offer?

Reactions: Mike7564
Any prediction for the end of 4th quarter promotion in December? Would it be more discount than current price offer?
Yes, my prediction is another $2000 drop in Model X price by December. Detailed predictions:
- Inventory of Xs will keep rising due to economic slowdown and interest rates staying high and Model Y being a great car for way cheaper.
- Tesla orders and secures more materials for the 3rd row seats, and also white interiors, to prepare for high volume.
- Tesla drops the 3rd row seats cost from $3500 to $2000.
- Tesla drops the base price of Model X by $2000 down to $77,990.
- Now anyone can order the 7 seater with black interior, or 5 seater with white interior, and stay under $80K.

Yes, my prediction is another $2000 drop in Model X price by December. Detailed predictions:
- Inventory of Xs will keep rising due to economic slowdown and interest rates staying high and Model Y being a great car for way cheaper.
- Tesla orders and secures more materials for the 3rd row seats, and also white interiors, to prepare for high volume.
- Now anyone can order the 7 seater with black interior, or 5 seater with white interior, and stay under $80K.
Do you think the credit the MX qualifies for in 2024 will be the full $7,500 or will it be reduced to $3750. Tesla website says reductions to the credit are likely in 2024. I feel like they are basically saying the Model X battery doesn’t meet the more stringent requirements the EV tax law requires in 2024 vs the current rules in 2023

Do you think the credit the MX qualifies for in 2024 will be the full $7,500 or will it be reduced to $3750. Tesla website says reductions to the credit are likely in 2024. I feel like they are basically saying the Model X battery doesn’t meet the more stringent requirements the EV tax law requires in 2024 vs the current rules in 2023
It's actually not a huge difference.

To qualify for the full tax credit today, 40% of battery minerals and 50% of battery components must be produced in North America. To qualify for the full tax credit in 2024, 50% of battery minerals and 60% of battery components must be produced in North America.

It's probably a combination of more of the components coming from overseas in the future, and they are close to that % already now. They probably also want to drive urgency to buy now.

I don't see another price reduction coming on the X. They had to take a huge hit on their profit margin to get it down to $7990, and the sole purpose of that was to meet the tax credit eligibility. They even had to throw in the free paint colors to include the $3000 Ultra-Red. Not much room for additional profit cutting. Additionally, I think they will see enough sales volume with these cuts to make it worthwhile. I know at least 10 people who have ordered a new Model S or X since the price cuts. With my CYBRTRK coming next year (Oct/Nov), I would have held onto my 2023 MYP with 27k miles, but the X in Ultra was just too tempting. I've had two Xs before and miss the luxury and convenience. I also think that early next year as the interest rates are cut, and car sales are back up, the S and X prices will increase in price next year, so I expect to have a car that appreciates. That happened with my 2022 MY. I sold it for $8k more than I paid for it. So it's on to Tesla #10.

And NO. The seven-seater X is a $3500 option and brings the X price to $83490.

I also think that early next year as the interest rates are cut, and car sales are back up, the S and X prices will increase in price next year, so I expect to have a car that appreciates. That happened with my 2022 MY. I sold it for $8k more than I paid for it. So it's on to Tesla #10.

I don't see this. There is simply too much competition. Before these price cuts, the BMW iX was a better deal and BMW is throwing $20-30K of incentives at them on top of that. And the sales are surging for it.

Now you have the R1S that has ramped up (3K per month I think), the EV9 arriving in 2-3 months, the Lyriq that will ramp up in numbers too... I don't see EV prices rising again. I foresee a cheaper Model X in the future... maybe RWD without the gull wing doors. Sub $70K.

• Informative
Reactions: patentesq and Tiger