Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Tesla Pulls Autosteer Function Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that your car?

I took that pic just now on my car with 2.7.56 (the current 7.0 wide release). Is your pic from the same version?

Nope not my car, found it here in the v7 thread:
Firmware 7.0 - Page 2

I kept seeing people saying that but didn't remember the Tesla stuff saying that so I went and dug through the v7 thread and found pictures and read again.

What I didn't notice was that picture was from the MotorTrend article and appears to be a pre-release notice. Just checked my own car it does have the center divider verbiage.

This is similar to TACC, sure they say it should be used on divided highways, but it works fine as long as it can read the lane markings (and the turns aren't too sharp). Since it gives you feedback on how well it's reading the lane markings, one need only be vigilant of this feedback to use AP on non-divided highways. One should be vigilant of this whenever AP is engaged, because even on adv interstate there's sections where AP may not be able clearly identify the lane.

This is similar to TACC, sure they say it should be used on divided highways, but it works fine as long as it can read the lane markings (and the turns aren't too sharp). Since it gives you feedback on how well it's reading the lane markings, one need only be vigilant of this feedback to use AP on non-divided highways. One should be vigilant of this whenever AP is engaged, because even on adv interstate there's sections where AP may not be able clearly identify the lane.

That's what I've been saying. I use TACC in places it shouldn't be used. And I've used AP on a similar road to the AP. The difference is that I knew what I was doing was wrong, I didn't hold a cell phone, I keep my hands on/close to the wheel, I watch what the car does.

AP on the highway on long commutes = awesome
AP on roads it's not meant to be used = more stress than driving, but fun to see what the car is capable of

I know, many videos show people doing things that are contrary to what has been clearly stated that people should do concerning the operations of the AP (where to use, under what conditions, how, etc)...

It's equivalent to say someone complaining that his/her car's transmission is faulty when it's broken because he/she steps on the gas and brake and the same time, explicitly against what the car's manual says... If you operate a car against clearly stated instructions and warnings, and the car fails, it's your fault and it's irresponsible action on your part.

It does say it. When you enable Auto Steer under Driver Assistance, this window pops up:
View attachment 98689

Not to be the grammar police, but as a programmer, the and/or to me would mean it's for use either "on highways that have a center divider and clear lane markings" OR "where there is a car directly ahead to follow."

With 'or', only the second clause would have to apply. That would imply that it can be used on any roads where there is a car directly ahead. If that's not what they intended then the grammar should probably be updated.

Not to be the grammar police, but as a programmer, the and/or to me would mean it's for use either "on highways that have a center divider and clear lane markings" OR "where there is a car directly ahead to follow."

With 'or', only the second clause would have to apply. That would imply that it can be used on any roads where there is a car directly ahead. If that's not what they intended then the grammar should probably be updated.

Was there a car in front of the driver who said the Tesla is trying to kill him?

I think you are correct, and there should be no confusion because of the comma in front of "or". Therefore on a surface street, the auto-steer can be use if you are following another vehicle.

I don't think that's what Tesla intended to say, even though that's what's written.

The car has the ability to follow lane markings OR another vehicle (based on what's shown in v7. 1 or 2 blue lanes OR a blue car in front of you). EM stated that it's intended primarily for highway use or some well marked [city? not sure he used that term] streets.

Was there a car in front of the driver who said the Tesla is trying to kill him?

lol. I wasn't making any comments on the video. Just the 'instructions'! :wink:

If you have something like "A and B or C" then both A and B have to be true in order for it to apply. If C is true then it doesn't matter that A and B are. If they want "A and (B or C)" then they should probably word it better.

I agree with you on what Elon said last week...but the written instructions aren't the best.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is: in the right lane it wants to veer right on the exits.

Okay, that took 2 seconds, now you know not to use it in the right lane or be ready for the same thing to happen. Okay, now you've learned a lesson.

See how that works? It's not a big deal and the sky is not falling.

Would you agree that it's an area that needs to be improved in the software? Because on long stretches of highway I often end up in the right lane. Having to put one's hands on the wheel at every exit ramp isn't necessarily a hardship but it's certainly not the optimal behavior.

Driver must be seated or autopilot will disengage.
Autopilot will disengage if no center divider.
You can't enforce good driving as in #3
I think traffic lights is coming..and not just for pedestrians.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 200 miles now! :)

Would you agree that it's an area that needs to be improved in the software? Because on long stretches of highway I often end up in the right lane. Having to put one's hands on the wheel at every exit ramp isn't necessarily a hardship but it's certainly not the optimal behavior.
Several people have reported that it has already started to learn not to veer to the right at exits.

Yes. I fully support an online CBT (computer based training) on the my.teslamotors.com site that disables AP from your car if you don't complete an initial and annual refresher course. Maybe even a monthly "quick refresher".

LOVE this idea!

- - - Updated - - -

Question: how many miles have you, personally, actually driven using AP?

I don't believe this is a pre-requisite to pointing out and discussing problems. That's like saying you can't go to the moon because you've never been there before.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think they'll pull autosteer, but I imagine there might be some tightening up of it. Either through GPS fencing, or through nagging. You have to keep in mind that Tesla is far from the only company on the market with a car that does some form of autosteer.

You also have to keep in mind that misunderstanding with how TACC worked caused at least one crash, and probably a few that I don't know about. Sure it was less sensational, and didn't cause much media attention but it still happened.

What I've love to see Tesla do is to go the "No Soup for You" route. Where it automatically recognizes people that are being absolutely ridiculous with it, and simply shuts it off for them.

HAHAHA!!! that would be AWESOME because it's always just a few idiots that ruin it for the rest of us.

The current incarnation of the feature just might be better at spotting an idiot than oncoming traffic. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Lol they pulled suspension lowering and never gave it back. This was back in 2013 I think after a few fires occurred by people driving over objects and the battery packs combusted. They basically tricked us into thinking we got it back but when they "gave it back" they just increased the base height so in reality they never truly gave it back to us.

The original "low" setting was totally unsafe. Tesla did the right thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Why so much hostility here, being called a "troll" and other derogatory comments because of my post count? Is this how you welcome all new members here? It must be a real treat being a guest in your homes for the first time..

In all honesty I'm a 2X Tesla owner, first car a '14 P85 and now a '15 P85D. I've used autopilot for around 100 miles now and find it to work pretty well. Some of you are not understanding my point. I'm predicting they pull AutoSteer because of people who are using it incorrectly and not following directions, which in its current form is subceptible to steering the car in an unsafe way, on the wrong roads. Because of this, regulators usually will regulate based on the idiots on the road, which right now- would be people not following the warnings of the beta software on our cars. All it will take is one accident and Tesla may be forced to pull it until the kinks are worked out more... Just like the suspension firmware that took away the low setting that was pointed out earlier.

No need for name calling, no need for condescending attitudes, I really just thought this could be a good topic to discuss. Here's to hoping for mature and grown up responses from here.

Cheers

In general there are too many people in the world who define themselves by the products they own. Any criticism of those products is taken as an affront and insult to them, leading to defensive posture and name calling. I agree with your concerns. Given how some people are using this feature, an accident is very likely. I hope nobody is injured. But if that were to pass, the media sh*t storm will be heavy and Tesla will be scrambling at an arguably critical time in their existence when they are focused on their next two releases.

If there is a crash involving injury or death using this feature, you can bet NHTSA will get involved. At that point, all bets are off.

- - - Updated - - -

With its first release Tesla has significantly exceeded every other system on the market and all the other car companies are now scrambling to catch up, while Tesla forges ahead.

How so? As far as I can tell, Tesla's implementation is different only in that it doesn't nag you for hands on the wheel. How else is it superior? For instance, how is it better than Mercedes Intelligent Drive which uses a suite of 20-25 sensors and cameras to Tesla's 12-14?

- - - Updated - - -

I think traffic lights is coming..and not just for pedestrians.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 200 miles now! :)

If autopilot is only for freeway use, why bother with traffic light recognition? Doesn't that imply using Autopilot on surface streets?

How so? As far as I can tell, Tesla's implementation is different only in that it doesn't nag you for hands on the wheel. How else is it superior? For instance, how is it better than Mercedes Intelligent Drive which uses a suite of 20-25 sensors and cameras to Tesla's 12-14?
Someone else posted this review (from a Mercedes owner) that found the Tesla system far better in handling the road than the Mercedes system despite having far fewer sensors (and it's not about the nag).
http://www.beyond.ca/autopilot-showdown-tesla-p85d-vs-mercedes-e63s-wagon/53192.html