Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Tesla Pulls Autosteer Function Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of "highways" with traffic lights. Many in Texas, for example.

Okay, thanks. I haven't seen those in my neck of the woods! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Someone else posted this review (from a Mercedes owner) that found the Tesla system far better in handling the road than the Mercedes system despite having far fewer sensors (and it's not about the nag).
http://www.beyond.ca/autopilot-showdown-tesla-p85d-vs-mercedes-e63s-wagon/53192.html

Thank you, that helps. Autopilot is very good at centering the car between lane markers, apparently. I also learned recently that Tesla is the first to allow automated lane change.

I think at this time, the "Automated Lane Change" is just "Assisted Lane Change". When Tesla add the required sensor and software to determined when it is safe for the car to make the lane change, and execute the lane change, then "Automated Lane Change" would be valid.

In the USA "automatic" doesn't mean the same thing that it would elsewhere. Here, for example, a door that opens itself when you hit the disabled/lazy button is an automatic door. It's still mentally jarring for my British brain.

What you're describing would be an autonomous lane change.

So what you're saying is: in the right lane it wants to veer right on the exits.

Okay, that took 2 seconds, now you know not to use it in the right lane or be ready for the same thing to happen. Okay, now you've learned a lesson.

See how that works? It's not a big deal and the sky is not falling.

Hmm I think that's patronizing. Maybe it can happen to someone who hasn't yet been imparted with your infinite wisdom. The car could quickly find itself hurtling to a stop sign or a clover leaf turn , or a late correction could be a hazard to driver or nearby cars.
It's not impossible to solve or to improve, and the purpose of the beta is to elicit feedback about priority improvement areas

We love our Model S, at least 97%. Even those un satisfied wouldn't want out $70-140k cars damaged or be in an accident. These would seem to be adequate reasons not to abuse autopilot. The initial reaction is hey oh my god look what it can do. Tesla supplies its intended use and instructions - even with every drive. You also pick up on corrections. You are told to keep hands on both wheels and take over at any time. Your average Tesla driver is probably has greater intelligence than the average person. When a Tesla spokesperson said they expected that drivers would use their AP responsibly, they were most likely being accurate.

AutoPilot works great, today, before any updates. I've used it everyday since release and it behaves very predictably which is why it is so freaking AMAZiNG. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Hmm I think that's patronizing. Maybe it can happen to someone who hasn't yet been imparted with your infinite wisdom. The car could quickly find itself hurtling to a stop sign or a clover leaf turn , or a late correction could be a hazard to driver or nearby cars.
It's not impossible to solve or to improve, and the purpose of the beta is to elicit feedback about priority improvement areas

How old does this thread have to be before we rename the title from Prediction: Tesla Pulls Autosteer Function Soon to Failed Prediction: Tesla didn't pull Autosteer Function ?

Ain't it the truth!! They say we are all fan boys, but the nay-sayers and doomsters LOVE to start a story just to get the 15 seconds of fame if anyone responds.

I showed off my 90D today to a couple at a party. What did they want to see? AUTO PILOT! So we found a stretch of curvy two lane road headed out into the wild that had decent lines, and watched the car curve and keep the straightaway centered. Of course there was another half hour or more about best safety, best aerodynamics, best power, speed, best looks (of course not on par with a Jeep), best cornering, best braking, free forever road trips, best fast charging -- I'm forgetting something in there, but you get the idea. Another future Tesla owner family!

Man, I like this car! Except that Autopilot, which eventually will kill us all, and Tesla will pull it right before they go bankrupt.

:wink: