Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction Thread - "You Called It"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Semi as an autonomous RV w/ free, automatic, and rapid supercharging.

Once I can afford an autonomous electric RV, I will retire and live out the rest of my days getting chauffeured across America in a first class cabin for pennies.

As for predictions tonight, I think no models other than the Semi will be shown. I do not think prices will be revealed, and I think Elon will mostly focus on the commercial partners and planned routes for the first couple of fleets.

Not specific enough? Ok, I think they will unveil a solution for fully charging the semi at a loading dock in less than the time it takes to unload the average truck.

Reactions: Drucifer
As for predictions tonight, I think no models other than the Semi will be shown. I do not think prices will be revealed, and I think Elon will mostly focus on the commercial partners and planned routes for the first couple of fleets.

Not specific enough? Ok, I think they will unveil a solution for fully charging the semi at a loading dock in less than the time it takes to unload the average truck.

Completely wrong on all counts. And I love it.

I have predicted that Semi will have 4 drive units and emphasized that it will allow anti-jack knifing measures, which, as far as safety is concerned is really "next level" - back in the beginning of September:

Could also show up on Semi. Semi's will likely use 4 drive units from M3, so if half axles are independent, torque vectoring could be easily incorporated. I think that it is a good chance that it will be, and is one of the reasons for Elon's reference to the "seriously next level". Just to make clear, I have no information on use of torque vectoring in Tesla Semi, it is my speculation at this point.

The practical use for torque vectoring is improvement of stability, foul weather traction, including anti jack-knifing measures. If true, this would be absolutely fantastic advantage over the ICE Semi's, "seriously next level" indeed.

I do not see it that way. I think you are missing that it is dynamic process. Adjusting torque dynamically with latency of milliseconds is much more effective in preventing jack knifing, essentially avoiding instability and maintaining control, than any other method. I think you are referring to extreme case when traction on the tractor wheels is not enough to slow down trailer, but traction control of tractor (not ABS based) is engaged continuously. So corrective action will be taken well in advance.

A former truck driver has similar thoughts to mine about jackknifing:

"Jackknifing is impossible."

This is a lie, unless the Tesla Semi and Tesla trailer can counteract physics and human error. My Freightliner weighed about 18,000 pounds, the reefer trailer added about another 16,000 pounds. That left enough for about a 46,000-pound load. When stuffed to the gills, I had 62,000 pounds ready to push me around or come around. If, either through physics or human error, the drive wheels or the trailer break loose too far, the Tesla Semi won't stop the jackknife.

This ex-trucker has some questions about the Tesla Semi

• Informative
Reactions: evp
Jackknifing is rare, so I'd say any jackknife event is a corner case, but Elon claimed it would be impossible to jackknife the truck. I question that statement.
Now I understand your objection, but it is apparently to what Elon said, not to what I posted, which was:

The practical use for torque vectoring is improvement of stability, foul weather traction, including anti jack-knifing measures. If true, this would be absolutely fantastic advantage over the ICE Semi's, "seriously next level" indeed.

Reactions: JRP3 and navguy12
I would be careful if I was Elon claiming it was impossible to jack knife the truck. I would also be careful about the nuclear glass claim. It would be safer to say they have been unable to jack knife the truck in testing and the glass is strong enough that it should never break in regular use. The glass can't be better than the glass on armored trucks or limousines and those won't stop a large caliber round like a 0.50 caliber rifle bullet.

The truck and new Roadster are both ultra-impressive without overselling anything.