Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction Thread - "You Called It"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I predict the Next Gen Roadster will sell all they can produce, even at 20k/year production. The P100D/Roadster price difference is $140-150k/$200k which is relatively close and will make many stretch for the ultimate performance car. The Tesla margin for the Roadster could be high too.

Tesla's new semi will have about 300-400 miles of range at 55mph, cost +/- $150k, and have better gradeability than any diesel semi offered.
TMC said:
The Tesla Semi’s price will start at $150,000 for a version with 300 miles of range, while a $180,000 version offers 500 miles of range. A “Founders Series” version will cost $200,000.

Boom!

What do I win?

Nothing.... :D

Which would seem to mean if the trailer starts getting sideways then the tractor gets sideways as well. So technically avoiding jackknifing but maybe not a desirable result.

I suspect this is correct. They may be able to prevent jackknifing... but some of the time they'll just turn it into a rollover sliding across both lanes of the highway, which is slightly better I guess? But not much.

Two new predictions:
  • Tesla will deliver 32,780 cars in Q4 2017.
  • The Model 3 Performance version will start at $74,500 before options.
@Crowded Mind, I was thinking of calculating the accuracy as a percentage for these two predictions. Shall I add a new tab to your spreadsheet or do you think this is too different and should be a different project? The formula I would be using is this: 1 - (difference / actual number).

Reactions: zmarty and navguy12
Two new predictions:
@Crowded Mind, I was thinking of calculating the accuracy as a percentage for these two predictions. Shall I add a new tab to your spreadsheet or do you think this is too different and should be a different project? The formula I would be using is this: 1 - (difference / actual number).

That sounds fine to me, go ahead. What has you so bullish on Q4 S/X?

@Crowded Mind, I have now added a new tab to the spreadsheet. I'm not sure about the tab names. You could change them if you can think of something better. My quarterly delivery estimate was too optimistic this time. Need to work on that. Here are two more predictions:
  • Model 3 Performance version will have 3.1s 0-60 as advertised on the Tesla website.
  • Model 3 Dual Motor option will cost $4,500 unless it's bundled with Smart Air Suspension. In that case, the bundle will cost $6,500.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Tesla's going to "focus on quality and efficiency rather than simply pushing for the highest possible volume in the shortest period of time" so they can hit 200k US sales in early Q2, rather than risk hitting it sometime in Q1. I'm thinking that'll be 20-30k Model S/X sales and 20-30k Model 3 sales over the first two quarters of 2018. They may even build up a small stockpile of cars for delivery in early Q2.

Mod: edited OBO author. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Two new predictions:
Close, but no ... Tesla says Model 3 production rate at ‘over 1,000 per week’ and breaks quarterly delivery record with 29,870 vehicles
Tesla released their fourth quarter and full year 2017 delivery and production results today after market close. As expected, Tesla achieved record deliveries of 29,870 vehicles, but all eyes are on Model 3, which accounted for 1,550 units of the total. As for production, the company says that it achieved a production rate in the last few days of 2017 that translates to “over 1,000 Model 3’s per week.”

Tesla delivered 47,077 vehicles in the first half of 2017, 26,150 vehicles in Q3, and now this new record in Q4, Tesla has now delivered over 100,000 vehicles in 2017. In its third quarter shareholder letter, Tesla already announced that they expected “an all-time record for deliveries of Model S and Model X vehicles in Q4” and they delivered on the expectation.

They ended up delivering 15,200 Model S vehicles and 13,120 Model X vehicles. Additionally, 2,520 Model S and X vehicles and 860 Model 3 vehicles were in transit to customers at the end of the quarter, according to the company. Here are Tesla quarterly global deliveries of all current vehicles in production since their launches:
tesla_deliveries_q4_2017.png

Missed the overall Q4 number by 131 (predicted 30,001). I bet they would have made it with better weather :).

I won't predict it but will be disappointed if they hit domestic 200K before Day 1 of Q3. That may take larger hoops than through which they're willing to jump, of course.

I am reminded of Elon's lament that in some cases, it's not the greatest thing to be a publicly-held company.

Whether Day 1 of Q2 or Day 1 of Q3, the Day 1 part is probably more relevant to maximize what would be a full half year of unfettered production. But then is it realistic to expect all domestic units thereduring? Quite probably not. Although one wonders how it will all play out.

Great question for an earnings call. Feel no pressure.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla's going to "focus on quality and efficiency rather than simply pushing for the highest possible volume in the shortest period of time" so they can hit 200k US sales in early Q2, rather than risk hitting it sometime in Q1. I'm thinking that'll be 20-30k Model S/X sales and 20-30k Model 3 sales over the first two quarters of 2018. They may even build up a small stockpile of cars for delivery in early Q2.

Mod: edited OBO author. --ggr
Ugh, I'm just going to quote myself instead of asking for another mod update of my first post. Anyhow, I'm backtracking from my backtrack.

My prediction is Tesla will hit 200k US sales in early Q3 of this year. Insideevs has their total US sales, including the Roadster, at 161571 as of 2018. Their total sales for the Model S/X in the first two quarters of 2017 were about 21k vehicles, which would allow them to sell ~17.5k Model 3s before they hit the 200k limit.

That also works out to about 3k Model 3s per month, which lines up with their ~1k/week estimate of their current production capacity. If they sell fewer S/Xs, they can ramp a bit to sell more 3s. I imagine they'll still be working on expanding the production line to hit 5k cars/week, maybe even building out the second 5k/week line if they have the capital, but even if it can hit 5k+/week, I don't think they'll bring it fully online until after they hit 200k US sales. They may also stockpile some Model S/3/Xs to sell once they hit 200k vehicles.

• I predict that by 10 Feb 2018 Tesla will either make the Model 3 SR available in the configurator or they will make the AWD available or they will send out the first batch of invites to non-owners.
I have added this to the spreadsheet.
Care to wager a bet on that prediction (j/k)? There are still thousands of current owners that haven't received invites yet...

Reactions: navguy12
I predict the Next Gen Roadster will sell all they can produce, even at 20k/year production. The P100D/Roadster price difference is $140-150k/$200k which is relatively close and will make many stretch for the ultimate performance car. The Tesla margin for the Roadster could be high too.
While I hope you are right remember Tesla only sold 2500 gen 1 Roadsters which at it time was and still is an impressive performance car.

Reactions: SwTslaGrl