Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions for Q4 2017 Model S/X Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious what updates to Model S/X people are expecting to drop in Q4 2017. As someone who has an order pending, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for what I might miss out on...

The obvious ones seem to be:
  • Updated interior
  • Performance update for 100D (~3.3 sec 0-60)
  • 85 kWh battery replacing 75 kWh
Any thing else?

Just curious what updates to Model S/X people are expecting to drop in Q4 2017. As someone who has an order pending, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for what I might miss out on...

• Updated interior
Any thing else?

I do agree with your obvious ones. People will chime in here regarding the interior - favorites seem to be more storage, e.g. in the door and a better, more user-friendly center console. Coat hooks I guess is another big one. Are there even lighted vanity mirrors yet?...I forget. I also agree that the 75 will disappear to distance the S more from the 3. 85 kWh makes sense. In all honesty I doubt any kind of exterior change will happen...at least nothing major...which I'd personally be just fine with because I love the look of the S. Sure wish the maps would improve. Why can't Waze be integrated...must be some law or something that I don't understand. Anyway, can't wait to hear what others think.

I'd welcome a refresh of the tail-lights/rear end, which is the only part of the exterior that IMO looks a little dated. I'd also love a complete interior refresh to be more in-line with the clean lines of the Model 3's interior, albeit with more luxury.

• Updated interior
Any thing else?

Unlike the claims of the back-of-the-napkin-math-warriors that expect a 398D, I'd say those three assumptions seem logical.

I am pretty sure the 85kWh pack will happen and while I'm hoping for the 3.3s, I really start to doubt it. Interior refresh would also be nice, but there is no evidence for it other than wishful thinking.

If they refresh the interior, they could maybe add the self presenting doors to the S.

That's as far as I want to speculate.

85kW pack and improved performance for 100kW-pack is the most obvious. They will happen at the same time within not that far distance. Tesla will just wait for all people to take delivery before end of Q3. If they reveal it before end of Q3, lot's of people will cancel and Tesla will be flooded by inventory cars. So, mid October we'll see this be real.

Interior refresh I'm not that sure about. We'll see incremental changes to the interiors, but not a one off major overhaul. Why would Tesla otherwise introduce a new back seat recently for the Model S and spend lot's of money with the new interior materials in new colors.

I also fully agree with the dated back end lights. Come on Tesla, you must swap those old 2012 dotted LED's on the S out for the new ones that you already have on the S and 3.

Well I'm glad nobody has come up with something that is making me too nervous. I have a 75D on order and while an 85 kWh battery would be nice (particularly if they wanted to throw it in as a software limited 75 in my build ;)), but I don't really need the extra range. As for the other rumors, I could live with any of them. A performance updated 100D still doesn't get me to go with the bigger battery, and I agree that a major interior update seems unlikely given the recent tweak to the rear seats and new color offering.

While I think the streamline design of the air vents int he model 3 look nice. I'm not sure if I'd like to see it in the model s. Unless the form factor of say the screen orientation remains the same. The MS is more driver centered IMO but the M3 is more centered around passengers (i.e. no focal point). Just my thoughts.

Well I'm glad nobody has come up with something that is making me too nervous. I have a 75D on order and while an 85 kWh battery would be nice (particularly if they wanted to throw it in as a software limited 75 in my build ;)), but I don't really need the extra range. As for the other rumors, I could live with any of them. A performance updated 100D still doesn't get me to go with the bigger battery, and I agree that a major interior update seems unlikely given the recent tweak to the rear seats and new color offering.

75 vs. 85 isn't about range imho (on any long roadtrip that'll only make a difference on the first leg of the trip, and the difference will be five minutes or less), but about charging speed on all other legs of that trip. That's why a software-limited 85 disguised as a 75 would be a big deal (to me at least)!