Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premature Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2020 MYP and having similar issue with rear tires only lasting about 11k mi. I have already replaced it once and now I need to replace it again at about 21k mi. Both tires have even wear so I don’t think doing the alignment will be any help. Anyone switched from factory summer tires to all season both front back keeping the 21” original rim ? Many MYP owners downgrading to 20” or 19” square setup. But I wanted to know if there’s any option of keeping the 21” rim and just use tires with more tread life.

There is a new Sailun ERANGE Ecosphere 275/35-21 tire that just hit the market, might be worth trying if you're burning through rears. Wholesale is sub-$200, not sure what retail price will be. UTQG is 500/A/A but who knows what the real world treadlife will be.

(It also came out in 255/40-20 and 255/45-19 sizes as well.)

Thanks. I have a 22 MYP with 29k miles and need to get my NC inspection in the next month. The Michelins still look OK to me, so hoping they don’t try to give me trouble at the inspection.
You may want to check out the thread on hydroplaning. Wide tires with short, stiff sidewalls, if down to 4/32", are dangerous in the wet. Passing inspection is critical to keeping you, and others, safe. ;)

Just a data point for anyone interested, I'm at 5518mi on my MYP with the 21s.

FR: 7/32"
FL: 7/32"
RR: 6/32"
RL: 6.5/32"

All tires measured using the center tread rib closest to the inside of the vehicle. (There's 2)

Michelin PSAS4s - 9/32" when new. I'll be popping a new set on in the Fall it looks like. No complaints with the factory alignment, and tread is wearing evenly on all 4 tires. (Slightly more camber wear in the rear, as is expected) Looks like I'll be getting 10K out of these. It's normal, everyone. :)

I just had my tires rotated at 5700 miles at a Tesla SC two weeks ago. They measured the tire depth on all four tires at 7/32
Tire wear appears normal thus far. When they reach below 5/32 I'll be replacing them with an alignment.
Your treadwear is pretty normal. I wouldn't throw money at an alignment unless the car's steering is off - you'll only open up the opportunity for them to make the alignment worse. Cars should hold their alignments for tens of thousands of miles unless you hit something to knock it out. I've had cars with 100K on the factory alignment and the tires would wear excellently still. Don't screw up a good thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: howardnj
Reading posts from different thread, I kept the 21’ rim and went with 275/35 front and 295/35 rear. Michelin PS4. I love the look and hope I no longer have rim scratches anymore.
7B9F0D14-F5B0-408D-907F-E2BC64EA608E.jpeg
E1812D37-D0D7-403B-988A-B6FBA64F0185.jpeg
2CD08BAB-F4AD-42B9-A9B7-9AB2CAE1FD6F.jpeg

I'd like everyone to post how many miles they got out of a set of tires. Type of tire they used and also how aggressively they drove. How many times they rotated tires and also whether they kept the tire pressure at 42PSI. Also post any secrets to longevity that you have discovered. From what I have heard it is only 20,000 miles on average wear depending on the model of tire. I have a Model Y LR with 19" tires on order. I think everyone would enjoy reading this. Thanks.. Tony

I'd like everyone to post how many miles they got out of a set of tires. Type of tire they used and also how aggressively they drove. How many times they rotated tires and also whether they kept the tire pressure at 42PSI. Also post any secrets to longevity that you have discovered. From what I have heard it is only 20,000 miles on average wear depending on the model of tire. I have a Model Y LR with 19" tires on order. I think everyone would enjoy reading this. Thanks.. Tony
32k and still going. 19” original OEM tires. Though mine are just about needing to be replaced. May be another 1 or 2 thousand miles.

Drive mostly non-aggressive but my commute route takes me through twisty mountain road so plenty of turns at speed. Never used chill mode.

Rotation every ~6000 miles and ran at 42/43 PSI.

2021 MYLR, OEM Continental ProContacts, 255/45x19. Always around 42psi. Mostly gentle driving, probably 50/50 highway/city.

I replaced OEM Contis at 30k, with 3-4/32" remaining all around. I value tread depth, and the Contis were a bit scary in any rain. Could have easily gone 35-38k miles.