Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not necessarily. I can use my cell service since my phone is always in the car. The main reason I want it is that I want to use Spotify, so they can keep Slacker. Traffic would also be nice but I use Waze and can live without until they anoint my expensive car with premium connectivity (at my expense). The fact they package these things is Tesla's choice - the browser isn't dependent on Slacker or traffic unless they want it to be.

I appreciate the FAQ but it's too late now. There's no doubt I wish I would have looked more closely before ordering my car and given that they didn't let me know much of anything about my options when I picked the car up they could at least let me buy it without acting like I want them to install a sunroof for free. We both know it's more about "encouraging" people to pay for it up front given their cash problems.

Yes you could have researched what came with the different versions, the info was online when you went to order. And you could have bought the features you wanted but they came on a differently configured model. And yes, Tesla doesn't upsell like traditional ICE dealerships. I know Europe gets Spotify and the U.S. gets Slacker. I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth you'll get on a browser trying to use Spotify so keep that in mind. I'm not really into the music services but from what I recall even Slacker get a more limited bandwidth even if you are a subscriber to it. Definitely look more into it if that's really what you are hoping to get.

Not necessarily. I can use my cell service since my phone is always in the car. The main reason I want it is that I want to use Spotify

Great news then!

You can't do that even with the browser, so if that was the main reason you want one, you no longer need to feel like you missed out.

The Tesla browser doesn't support audio at all.

Or video for that matter.

You can stream spotify from your phone over BT though, even in your version of the car.

I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth you'll get on a browser trying to use Spotify

0, since audio isn't supported :)

One reason is likely that Tesla is paying for the bandwidth so they'd prefer you don't eat up a ton of it, and unlike slacker they'd have far less control of that.

Then you haven't heard of Tesplayer?

Me:
I can use my cell service since my phone is always in the car.

You, having failed to actually read my post:
One reason is likely that Tesla is paying for the bandwidth so they'd prefer you don't eat up a ton of it,

Me:
There's no doubt I wish I would have looked more closely before ordering my car and given that they didn't let me know much of anything about my options when I picked the car up they could at least let me buy it

You, for some reason repeating what I had just said:
Yes you could have researched what came with the different versions, the info was online when you went to order. And you could have bought the features you wanted but they came on a differently configured model

But then, every thread devolves as soon as the fanboys get their fur up. I would encourage those people to think of of my post as constructive criticism rather than a complaint against "precious", and add something useful to the conversation or, preferably, to just not post anything.

“Tesla is selling a [lot] of SR+'s and would be stupid to not make $100 a year off most of them. It's free money.”

It’s not free money. What satellite maps and music streaming and other things have in common is data use. Tesla buys data plans from AT&T in the USA and others elsewhere. So there is expense for Tesla in providing Premium Data.

I buy mine from T-Mobile. Is there a difference between T-Mobile data and AT&T data? Paying Tesla $100/year for a couple apps that are available for free on any phone, using your own data (as newtonfb probably meant), is indeed free money for Tesla unless their apps are better than Spotify, Pandora, Waze, Google Maps, etc (hint: they aren't). Still, I'll happily pay it if they give me privilege of paying them.

I buy mine from T-Mobile. Is there a difference between T-Mobile data and AT&T data? Paying Tesla $100/year for a couple apps that are available for free on any phone, using your own data (as newtonfb probably meant), is indeed free money for Tesla unless their apps are better than Spotify, Pandora, Waze, Google Maps, etc (hint: they aren't). Still, I'll happily pay it if they give me privilege of paying them.

You pay less than $100/yr for unlimited data use by free apps?

Got a link to that plan we can all sign up for?

“Tesla is selling a [lot] of SR+'s and would be stupid to not make $100 a year off most of them. It's free money.”

It’s not free money. What satellite maps and music streaming and other things have in common is data use. Tesla buys data plans from AT&T in the USA and others elsewhere. So there is expense for Tesla in providing Premium Data.

They are not buying consumer plans. Nobody knows what they pay per a car but I would bet its a set rate per a car per a year or month at a huge discount.. Most data plans now have free music streaming already included and maps do not take much data, even satellite. Most of the navigation data it downloads via wifi. So yes, it is free money for Tesla as they are already paying for data in each car already. As said before, it would be a bump in q3 if they offer it and all of the SR and SR+ owners purchase it.

Last edited:
You pay less than $100/yr for unlimited data use by free apps?...
So odd that so many think Tesla should give them the Premium Connectivity package for free and only charge them the same amount (for data) they are going to charge all others who paid for the package (after 1 year). I willing to bet it will be close to 1K (probably $899) or more with one year of data.

Last edited:
So odd that so many think Tesla should give them the Premium Connectivity package for free and only charge them the same amount (for data) they are going to charge all others who paid for the package (after 1 year). I willing to bet it will be close to 1K (probably $899) with one year of data if not more.

You think ppl are going to pay close to $100 a month just to stream music when they can do that on their phone for free? Not a chance. Its clearly stated in the FAQ it will be close to $100 for the year. Spotify premium is $10 a month. The owners who purchased the long range and MR cars did not do so for the "Streaming music" they did so for the battery, thats what you paid extra for.

You think ppl are going to pay close to $100 a month just to stream music when they can do that on their phone for free? Not a chance. Its clearly stated in the FAQ it will be close to $100 for the year. Spotify premium is $10 a month. The owners who purchased the long range and MR cars did not do so for the "Streaming music" they did so for the battery, thats what you paid extra for.
It want be $100 a month. Here is my theory

$1000 to add the Premium Connectivity package to cars that did not buy it. After 1 year you will have to pay $100 for data just like people who bought an S, X or a 3 with Premium.

The package is a LOT more than just Slacker music. It is also a full web browser, Satellite Maps, Real Time Traffic, Tune-In and More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular.

If you read the FAQs it is pretty clear it will not be a freebie since Tesla clearly indicates you will need to buy a "Plan" for the SR+.

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 12.57.58 PM.png

It want be $100 a month. Here is my theory

$1000 to add the Premium Connectivity package to cars that did not buy it. After 1 year you will have to pay $100 for data just like people who bought an S, X or a 3 with Premium.

The package is a LOT more than just Slacker music. It is also a full web browser, Satellite Maps, Real Time Traffic, Tune-In and More frequent over-the-air updates via cellular.

If you read the FAQs it is pretty clear it will not be a freebie since Tesla clearly indicates you will need to buy a "Plan" for the SR+.

View attachment 427913

What are the new connectivity options?

• Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.
  • Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.

I think you are misreading what everyone else is saying and even what Tesla is saying. EVERYONE including SR and SR+ owners have Standard Connectivity forever at zero cost. Its what SR and SR+ owners already have. None of them are going to pay $1000 a year so they can stream music and look at satellite maps. Traffic is already in the navigation you just cant visually see it. Everyone has access to Slacker, Tune In, Spotify, Apple Music already on their phone to stream via bluetooth...for free. Are they nice to have on the display? Sure but not at that price. Tesla knows this.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
So odd that so many think Tesla should give them the Premium Connectivity package for free and only charge them the same amount (for data) they are going to charge all others who paid for the package (after 1 year). I willing to bet it will be close to 1K (probably $899) or more with one year of data.

Well they gave SR owners free upgraded interiors already.

Homelink upgrade involves software unlock + a service visit, and is priced well below $899. I can’t see them charging anywhere near that for something that involves no service visit and does involve an ongoing subscription cost.

.....None of them are going to pay $1000 a year so they can stream music and look at satellite maps.....
....but almost everyone here (including you I bet) already pays around $1000 a year to stream music, surf the web and have satellite maps. It is called a cell plan.:D

Also AGIAN I said $1000 to buy the package and then $100 a year to help cover the cell data costs to Tesla. Which is the same amount everyone everyone else will pay. This $100 is a small amount and obviously Tesla is heavily subsidizing since they probably pay several times that amount (probably $500 or more) for cell data to each car. Remember Tesla uses lots data for the cars' systems like Autopilot.

However after rereading it looks like you may have to buy a monthly "Plan" that could be $100 a month. Or maybe they will offer à la carte. Buy Maps or Music or... and then pay for data. Only time will tell but no way is it all free.

Last edited:
I could see a $1,000 upgrade package if it also came with enabling the disabled speakers, ambient lights, rear heated seats, and installing a sub-woofer in the empty space in the trunk.

Has anyone ripped apart the car to see this? I thought the speakers and ambient lights weren’t actually there and the rear seats did not have the heating elements installed in the SR+ and SR? Or are you saying they should install new ambient lights and new rear seats?

Has anyone ripped apart the car to see this? I thought the speakers and ambient lights weren’t actually there and the rear seats did not have the heating elements installed in the SR+ and SR? Or are you saying they should install new ambient lights and new rear seats?

Found this video a while back, at around the 6:45 minute mark he popped off the trim and confirmed the speakers were present:

Likewise I've seen posts from people who tried to swap out the ambient lights with colored ones, only to find that there were bulbs in the holders and swapping them out didn't override the software lock.

In the same video, though, he does confirm the SR+ is definitely physically missing the subwoofer and probably physically missing the speakers behind the rear seats.

• Informative
Reactions: phaheem
I have all of the speakers including the 2 rear 4” midrange speakers behind the back seat, what I don’t have is the Sub & Amp and only the 8 speakers are on. The 2 side mirror speakers and 2 pillar tweeters plus those 2 behind the rear seats are off. Hoping those 6 that are off can be software activated. SR+

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller