Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
June 30 was the cutoff for lifetime premium connectivity. As of 7/1/18 it’s only included for one year. Since it’s only March nobody has been required to pay the renewal fee yet.
Oh, I can’t wait for all the whining entitlement. I just hope none of the YouTube stars have to start paying...that’s all we will hear about.

Oh, I can’t wait for all the whining entitlement. I just hope none of the YouTube stars have to start paying...that’s all we will hear about.

Haha, maybe they'll keep it free just for the YT stars.

In all seriousness though, I think one of the things that might lead to whining is that there hasn't been much development on the functionality where there was so much potential.

I figured by the time they were going to start charging me, the browser would be way more functional (possibly even doing streaming video so I can watch Tesla YouTubers talk about Tesla in my Tesla!), might be more/better music streaming options, as well as some other new features that would utilize the data (improved Nav?). I know they've dreamt up a lot of these things..., just probably don't have resources to make them a priority.

As of now I might forego paying 100/yr just for traffic visualization. I stream music from my phone over BT.

• Informative
Reactions: GenoM3P
I remember a guy got a second chance to order LR M3 in Ontario and would get the nice $14000 rebate backs out of the deal in November 2018. Guess why?

His initial order was back in June, he argued that he should have the life time premium connectivity. Tesla said NO, the new order is after June. Even though he understood he would have it free for a year. LOL

Now it seems that it's free for life anyway.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: osseckiii
i just got my Model 3 SR+ yesterday so i'm learning a few things. i noticed there is no web browser, i am assuming because i just have the partial premium interior that does not include premium connectivity. question is now - is there a way for me to purchase premium connectivity? according to this page it sounds like it was supposed to be an option but i couldn't seem to figure out how to do it from the screen. don't really need a web browser but i would like the satellite with the navigation etc and other things.

i just got my Model 3 SR+ yesterday so i'm learning a few things. i noticed there is no web browser, i am assuming because i just have the partial premium interior that does not include premium connectivity. question is now - is there a way for me to purchase premium connectivity? according to this page it sounds like it was supposed to be an option but i couldn't seem to figure out how to do it from the screen. don't really need a web browser but i would like the satellite with the navigation etc and other things.

Thanks for asking that question and also answering it yourself with the link. Should be available for purchase later this year it says.

Where can Premium Connectivity be purchased?
Tesla owners will be able to purchase Premium Connectivity through the in-car touchscreen. We anticipate rolling out this functionality later this year.​

I’ve been curious about this as well (torn between SR+ and LR) and had posted about it

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/will-premium-connectivity-come-to-the-sr.156239/

I think that Tesla page is from 2018 but would make sense for them to offer it at one point. This part really makes it sound like it’ll be an option at one point:

Will there be a trial period for Premium Connectivity?
For all Model S and Model X cars ordered on or after July 1, 2018, Premium Connectivity will be complimentary for one year after delivery, as well as all Model 3 cars with Premium Interior. After the complimentary period ends, Standard Connectivity will be available for all cars at no cost, and Premium Connectivity will be available for purchase via the in-car touchscreen. Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
I’ve been curious about this as well (torn between SR+ and LR) and had posted about it

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/will-premium-connectivity-come-to-the-sr.156239/

I think that Tesla page is from 2018 but would make sense for them to offer it at one point. This part really makes it sound like it’ll be an option at one point:

According to that FAQ answer, people who ordered after July 1 last year should have their premium connectivity expiring and returning to standard after 1 year, so pretty soon.

If it takes til Sept then some people will be getting more than a year free.

Not having a solution for "premium connectivity" by mid-July is going to start causing problems for Model 3 owners who placed orders starting July 2018.

We will rapidly have 4 categories, with a lot of Q3-2018 deliveries seeing their year of Premium Connectivity expire:
1) Owners who ordered on or before June 2018 with lifetime Premium Connectivity (includes me)
2) Owners with various LR and MR configurations enjoying their one year of free Premium Connectivity
3) Owners with various LR and MR configurations whose one year of free Premium Connectivity has expired, starting around mid-July
4) SR and SR+ owners who never had Premium Connectivity, but who'd like to at least see a price so they could make a decision whether or not to buy it from Tesla

I seem to remember the cutoff for lifetime free was to order by June 28th, 2018, but not sure if that's the right date.

• Helpful
Reactions: Joey_82
Not having a solution for "premium connectivity" by mid-July is going to start causing problems for Model 3 owners who placed orders starting July 2018.

We will rapidly have 4 categories, with a lot of Q3-2018 deliveries seeing their year of Premium Connectivity expire:
1) Owners who ordered on or before June 2018 with lifetime Premium Connectivity (includes me)
2) Owners with various LR and MR configurations enjoying their one year of free Premium Connectivity
3) Owners with various LR and MR configurations whose one year of free Premium Connectivity has expired, starting around mid-July
4) SR and SR+ owners who never had Premium Connectivity, but who'd like to at least see a price so they could make a decision whether or not to buy it from Tesla

I seem to remember the cutoff for lifetime free was to order by June 28th, 2018, but not sure if that's the right date.

I highly suspect they won’t expire people until they have the ability to order the replacement, at which point we’d hope to learn if the ability to order is extended to the SRs as well, and if so for what price.

I highly suspect they won’t expire people until they have the ability to order the replacement, at which point we’d hope to learn if the ability to order is extended to the SRs as well, and if so for what price.
Yeah, I've been thinking all along that when they introduce paid-for premium connectivity they will also introduce more/better streaming options... Right now 100/yr for slacker/TuneIn is not that great.

Until then they will just keep it free

The premium data on a bunch of Model S vehicles began expiring early 2018 (and more expire daily of course)

And Tesla still hasn't gotten around to figuring out how to bill them for service- so their service still keeps working for free.

I expect Model 3 owners with premium will experience the same.... (and SR owners will experience not having the option to add premium at all while that's the case).

Yeah, I've been thinking all along that when they introduce paid-for premium connectivity they will also introduce more/better streaming options... Right now 100/yr for slacker/TuneIn is not that great.

Until then they will just keep it free

If I’m not mistaken, premium connectivity also includes the browser, satellite view maps and the live traffic view (in addition to streaming). I’d pay $100/yr for traffic and consider the rest a bonus. Yes, I know routing takes into account traffic, but I’d like to see it too.

If I’m not mistaken, premium connectivity also includes the browser, satellite view maps and the live traffic view (in addition to streaming). I’d pay $100/yr for traffic and consider the rest a bonus. Yes, I know routing takes into account traffic, but I’d like to see it too.

You’re right, it does include the browser, satellite view maps and live traffic. And I agree, I’d happily pay just for access to live traffic on the maps. I’m so used to it on my current car and really couldn’t go back.

When I picked up my car I wan't informed of any of this and didn't realize there were some important options I wasn't getting and could have bought or negotiated for and didn't (like floor mats? jeezus). I'm used to the sales people encouraging me to buy add-ons. Ever since, I've been trying to get them to let me spend money to get the browser. They refuse. This wouldn't bother me if it was hardware, but it's just an app - a typically free app - and easily installed. In terms of satisfaction with the purchase, for an otherwise amazing car, I am extremely frustrated and dissatisfied that I drove away spending nearly $50k having not been told some basic things. I guess the idea is that it was up to me to figure out what premium connectivity did and didn't do and if I missed something tough luck.

It's like buying a laptop from Newegg, not a car.

When I picked up my car I wan't informed of any of this and didn't realize there were some important options I wasn't getting and could have bought or negotiated for and didn't (like floor mats? jeezus). I'm used to the sales people encouraging me to buy add-ons. Ever since, I've been trying to get them to let me spend money to get the browser. They refuse. This wouldn't bother me if it was hardware, but it's just an app - a typically free app - and easily installed. In terms of satisfaction with the purchase, for an otherwise amazing car, I am extremely frustrated and dissatisfied that I drove away spending nearly $50k having not been told some basic things. I guess the idea is that it was up to me to figure out what premium connectivity did and didn't do and if I missed something tough luck.

It's like buying a laptop from Newegg, not a car.

Well.. yes.

FWIW the very first hit on google for tesla premium connectivity is to the Tesla FAQ on the topic-

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

Currently premium is not available to add to a car that didn't come with it... but eventually they plan for it to be per the FAQ.

(that said, this doesn't seem to be a huge priority for Tesla, it was January 2018 when the first Model S cars were supposed to have started being charged for connectivity and they're still getting it free because Tesla hasn't set anything up to bill them for it- so I wouldn't hold my breath for it either).

There's also a bit more than just installing an app-Premium connectivity includes more than just a browser- you'd also need to be given a slacker account for the music streaming that comes with it- and have that app enabled too... and have the update done for live traffic visualization and sat view.... and of course mainly you're paying for the fact you'll be using a lot more LTE bandwidth with these features enabled.

Not necessarily. I can use my cell service since my phone is always in the car. The main reason I want it is that I want to use Spotify, so they can keep Slacker. Traffic would also be nice but I use Waze and can live without until they anoint my expensive car with premium connectivity (at my expense). The fact they package these things is Tesla's choice - the browser isn't dependent on Slacker or traffic unless they want it to be.

I appreciate the FAQ but it's too late now. There's no doubt I wish I would have looked more closely before ordering my car and given that they didn't let me know much of anything about my options when I picked the car up they could at least let me buy it without acting like I want them to install a sunroof for free. We both know it's more about "encouraging" people to pay for it up front given their cash problems.