Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. They are not going to get many takers shelling out a $1000 for a partially working web browser that is awkward to use when you already have your phone/laptop or tablet. Streaming music is nice but not for that kind of money when your phone is sitting right next to you. The satellite maps, nice touch but again not necessary to get to your destination as the standard maps work fine for that. Live Traffic is ok but not worth that much money when Waze is free. More frequent updates over cellular? That just seems wrong as we get them by being on WiFi. And why are they more frequent?

$100 a year is all Premium Connectivity is really worth.

Some of the premium features are nice like the maps, traffic views and streaming services. I could care less about the Web Browser and Games. I don't play games in my house so why would I play them in my car? As far as cost I would not pay to continue the services if they cost a 1000 a year but I would start to compare features available in other makes and models as Tesla needs to provide a certain level features. This is supposed to be a luxury car comparible to BMWs and Mercedes if they don't measure up people will move away from Tesla.

As far as connectivity I have to you my house wifi or my phone hotspot to get software updates. I don't know what exactly the car's LTE connection is good for.

I’m sure they could write a couple lines of code to disable YouTube/Netflix when idle at a supercharger :)

I'm not talking about idle. Idle fees take care of that. I'm talking about "I'm bored, and 80% is plenty to get to next stop, I'm outta here" ... versus "Oh, this show is good, I'll just keep watching it til the end and change my charge slider up to 100%"

I'm not talking about idle. Idle fees take care of that. I'm talking about "I'm bored, and 80% is plenty to get to next stop, I'm outta here" ... versus "Oh, this show is good, I'll just keep watching it til the end and change my charge slider up to 100%"

If SOC >= 80%, then YoutubeNetflixAllow = false

Something like that :) could also add an addition if statement to check for number of open stalls.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Some of the premium features are nice like the maps, traffic views and streaming services. I could care less about the Web Browser and Games. I don't play games in my house so why would I play them in my car? As far as cost I would not pay to continue the services if they cost a 1000 a year but I would start to compare features available in other makes and models as Tesla needs to provide a certain level features. This is supposed to be a luxury car comparible to BMWs and Mercedes if they don't measure up people will move away from Tesla.

As far as connectivity I have to you my house wifi or my phone hotspot to get software updates. I don't know what exactly the car's LTE connection is good for.

FYI-
BMW gets $20 a month for their AT&T data plan.

Same as Mercedes charges.

The $100 a year Tesla has mentioned would be significantly cheaper than either.

Though it's unclear if it would include allowing the car to act as a hot spot... (I can't imagine it would at that price)

Reactions: javadanno
FYI-
BMW gets $20 a month for their AT&T data plan.

Same as Mercedes charges.

The $100 a year Tesla has mentioned would be significantly cheaper than either.

Though it's unclear if it would include allowing the car to act as a hot spot... (I can't imagine it would at that price)

My comment about the hotspot was that I have had to use my phone as a hot spot and I connect the car to it so I can download the updates. My point was the service would need to be a lot better as I shouldn't have to do that to download software updates. I apologize if I was unclear.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
My comment about the hotspot was that I have had to use my phone as a hot spot and I connect the car to it so I can download the updates. My point was the service would need to be a lot better as I shouldn't have to do that to download software updates. I apologize if I was unclear.

If you only have standard connectivity then yes, you should have to do that as anything other than safety updates don't get sent over anything other than wifi.

Per the FAQ-

Connectivity FAQ said:
  • Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.
  • Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.

I have premium connectivity. I just don't get a good LTE cellular connection to the car in my garage.

Ok...then I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for... If your premium expires and you then have to pay for it (if Tesla ever figures out how to do that) it won't be able to fix the fact you park somewhere you can't get a good signal.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Ok...then I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for... If your premium expires and you then have to pay for it (if Tesla ever figures out how to do that) it won't be able to fix the fact you park somewhere you can't get a good signal.

My connectivity is immaterial, I understand the premium services will have a cost after the first year and I will have to decide then whether I continue those services or not. I not going to pay 1000 a year.

Why do you think you'd need to?

The FAQ suggests they expect cost to be nearer $100 a year, not $1000.

Should be somewhere in between. US$8/month seems ridiculously cheap as that's less than the typical retail charge for one GB of data ($10+)

However, I presume Tesla have a lot a data on how much GB each car uses each month.
I suppose cars are probably used for less than an hour a day, on average, with road trips distorting that. Perhaps an average of a couple of GB/month, with live maps and traffic data being the big bandwidth hogs. That would put you closer to the $20/mo than $8.

Reactions: javadanno
Should be somewhere in between. US$8/month seems ridiculously cheap as that's less than the typical retail charge for one GB of data ($10+)

However, I presume Tesla have a lot a data on how much GB each car uses each month.
I suppose cars are probably used for less than an hour a day, on average, with road trips distorting that. Perhaps an average of a couple of GB/month, with live maps and traffic data being the big bandwidth hogs. That would put you closer to the $20/mo than $8.

Except it's not like they shut LTE off completely if you don't subscribe to premium connectivity. They still use it for navigation with traffic, safety updates, letting your app talk to the car, etc.

And they are paying wholesale, and already gave it away 'free' to a bunch of customers, so there's no reason to expect them to gouge for it IMO.

Lifetime free and 1 year free is more ridiculously cheap than $100/yr ... let's hope it's $100!

As noted previously- all the car companies like BMW and Mercedes that charge $20/mo also allow you to use the car as a free, unlimited, hotspot.

Teslas premium connectivity does not....and as also noted LTE still works without it, just for fewer things.

So since the only things premium really adds are:

More types of updates via LTE
Low-bitrate audio streaming
Unlock of the browser (which also can't do audio or video at all, and even when it can it'll be limited to wifi only)
Satellite/traffic view.

That's really not using a whole lot of data, even at just 8-10 bucks a month.

As noted previously- all the car companies like BMW and Mercedes that charge $20/mo also allow you to use the car as a free, unlimited, hotspot.

Teslas premium connectivity does not....and as also noted LTE still works without it, just for fewer things.

Unlock of the browser (which also can't do audio or video at all, and even when it can it'll be limited to wifi only)
Satellite/traffic view.

Hopefully v10 will add some things to this list...

Satellite/traffic view.

The two biggies that are part of Premium Internet are the live maps (traffic, etc) and getting updates via LTE after Tesla gets tired of waiting for you to connect to WiFi. Audio is pretty low in data content.

I don't think Tesla is going to allow video-over-LTE, but one gets the impression that video-over-WiFi might work at some point. Question: Will Superchargers need to be linked to StarLink first?

The two biggies that are part of Premium Internet are the live maps (traffic, etc) and getting updates via LTE after Tesla gets tired of waiting for you to connect to WiFi. Audio is pretty low in data content.

I don't think Tesla is going to allow video-over-LTE, but one gets the impression that video-over-WiFi might work at some point. Question: Will Superchargers need to be linked to StarLink first?

Well, Elon tweeted about Youtube and Netflix ... so, it probably already works on some developer build and surely will be released at some point.