Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 6/30/18 cutoff was a demand lever to make people order their cars with so-called lifetime premium connectivity. As mentioned above Tesla doesn’t mention the one year or subscription anymore on the configurator.

Tesla obviously doesn’t even have the system and code in place to take the subscription. Come July 2019 no one will be charged and no one’s premium connectivity gets disabled. You’ve heard it here first.

It seems you were right. :)

• Funny
Reactions: outie
Honest question, where does it normally say free for our one year?

When I ordered my car, the Premium Interior just said includes Premium Connectivity, implying no time limit or additional cost. I found out through this forum that apparently I will have to pay for a feature advertised as included which not only sounds wrong, but the forums are the only evidence I can find of this. None of my paperwork shows this option was intended to be a temporary trial. When I got a free year of XM Radio in my Honda, it was made very clear that I would have to pay after a year, and the line item said something like "1 year free XM radio subscription".

So where do these time limit statements come from?

Reactions: inikkor
really? it's almost every day on mine :(

The message appears when your using navigation right at the top of the directions window. It really screws me up when it leads me into a traffic jam.

You sure you guys never see this?

I havent, and use navigation everywhere I go (even to work and back, for traffic). It might be there and I am not paying attention to it though... I will look closer and report back.

• Love
Reactions: Char
Honest question, where does it normally say free for our one year?

When I ordered my car, the Premium Interior just said includes Premium Connectivity, implying no time limit or additional cost. I found out through this forum that apparently I will have to pay for a feature advertised as included which not only sounds wrong, but the forums are the only evidence I can find of this. None of my paperwork shows this option was intended to be a temporary trial. When I got a free year of XM Radio in my Honda, it was made very clear that I would have to pay after a year, and the line item said something like "1 year free XM radio subscription".

So where do these time limit statements come from?

Used to say it on the website under the specs section and when ordering under the Premium connectivity description. Those have disappeared.

It was free for life for cars ordered before a cutoff date in June/July 2018 and 1yr free after that with an expected cost of 100/yr. I would have had to start paying around now and I haven’t heard anything.

Many people are hypothesizing that Tesla doesn’t have the bandwidth to implement billing for this right now, or rather, the revenue may not be worth the effort right now. On the flip side, they may decide to release features which may be more data hungry and then it wouldn’t make sense to continue footing the cellular bill. My guess is that current Premium Connectivity features (Traffic, Slacker radio) will remain free for the foreseeable future but new ones may not be (YT/Netflix if they ever allow off wi-fi, connected/social gaming, 3rd party apps, cloud drive and viewer for Sentry/Dashcam, etc).

I suspect that's a location thing, as I've only seen it in places that very obviously have no cell tower access. I understand tesla leases LTE access from one (or maybe several) of the big carriers - perhaps they just have dead spots near you.
It usually shows I have a connection though, and music will be streaming, but it will still say routing with no traffic data.

I'm hesitant to take it back in because I just got my car back from service again, for like the 8th time. But if it is indeed a real issue then I had better get it back in before my warranty runs out.

What are the new connectivity options?

• Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.
  • Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.

I think you are misreading what everyone else is saying and even what Tesla is saying. EVERYONE including SR and SR+ owners have Standard Connectivity forever at zero cost. Its what SR and SR+ owners already have. None of them are going to pay $1000 a year so they can stream music and look at satellite maps. Traffic is already in the navigation you just cant visually see it. Everyone has access to Slacker, Tune In, Spotify, Apple Music already on their phone to stream via bluetooth...for free. Are they nice to have on the display? Sure but not at that price. Tesla knows this.
You can view Spotify on your screen now using TesPlayer. It works beautifully! Let Tesla Raj tell you all about it on YouTube.

I just missed the premium connectivity for life thing since I took delivery 9/1/18 and low and behold, yesterday my model 3 no longer shows cell connectivity. This could be a coincidence but it's also 1 week shy of a year since I got the car. Everything requiring a cell connection stopped. I knew streaming music and live traffic would be gone but everything else is too. GPS works but the satellite maps don't update (didn't think they would) so if they're not cached there's nothing. The standard map shows up blank, no roads anything, can't remotely connect to car to start the AC or check charging status or location. I expect some small low data things to continue working so I expect this is either a bug, or I now have a cell issue in my car. It's been a couple of days and I've rebooted the computer. Figure I should look around for answers before contacting the SC for more info.

Anybody else with a 1 year old car experience a total loss of cell connectivity starting in the last month?

I just missed the premium connectivity for life thing since I took delivery 9/1/18 and low and behold, yesterday my model 3 no longer shows cell connectivity. This could be a coincidence but it's also 1 week shy of a year since I got the car. Everything requiring a cell connection stopped. I knew streaming music and live traffic would be gone but everything else is too. GPS works but the satellite maps don't update (didn't think they would) so if they're not cached there's nothing. The standard map shows up blank, no roads anything, can't remotely connect to car to start the AC or check charging status or location. I expect some small low data things to continue working so I expect this is either a bug, or I now have a cell issue in my car. It's been a couple of days and I've rebooted the computer. Figure I should look around for answers before contacting the SC for more info.

Anybody else with a 1 year old car experience a total loss of cell connectivity starting in the last month?
Not it and not how it would work (or not for) if Tesla had implemented it. You may need to schedule a service since it could be a hardware problem.

Also in all likelihood needing to pay for Premium Connectivity has probably been shelved since it didn't happen.

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808

No, that sounds like more of a problem than anything having to do with premium connectivity. I’ve had it happen once maybe three months ago and it fixed itself a few hours later, maybe after a reboot. Definitely get in touch with a SC.

Reactions: calidreamz808