Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m guessing we will be seeing a quick patch soon. Will post when I go live as I’m subscribed, SR+

Fred
For those that have an SR/SR+, and have actually SUBSCRIBED....did it charge your card right away for the 9.99? Or are we assuming they won't actually charge until end of "Trial". I ask becuase if you subscribe and you havn't been charged, tesla might take their time with the actual rollout to SR/SR+

For those that have an SR/SR+, and have actually SUBSCRIBED....did it charge your card right away for the 9.99? Or are we assuming they won't actually charge until end of "Trial". I ask becuase if you subscribe and you havn't been charged, tesla might take their time with the actual rollout to SR/SR+
I don’t see how them not charging immediately means they will take their time with the rollout.. a free trail means you won’t get charged till it’s finished..

explaining??!! We’re less than 6 hours into this. How about patience? It’s clear they intend SR/SR+ models to get satmaps. Their published policy says so.

But it might take - imagine this - a software update to enable. Or, time. Or, it gets enabled in batches overnight.

Any one of those are possible - this is new so it might just take a little while to get everything right.

Go take the car for a drive, relax and enjoy the day. No need for instant gratification here.

A well run organization that sends an email out like this would explain that if you are an SR/SR+ owner you will not see the satellite maps or traffic until a software update is released, with an anticipated release date of xx/xx/xxxx.

We own two LR models and have always had satellite maps, so there is not need for me to relax or be patient, thank you.

Wait what? Why would Tesla cover your subscriptions to other services? The $9.99 a month is for you to cover the bandwidth fees for using the services. Streaming Netflix, spotify etc is not cheap and they should not have to front the costs.

I have to say I'm super disappointed with Tesla. I bought a Model 3 and yet I still have an electric bill at home. Tesla should cover my utilities. Also it would be nice if they covered my mortgage payments and water bill too. Why should I have to pay for anything, after all, I bought a car from them. They owe me.

I have a Dual Motor AWD, got it in late June 2019. Love the connectivity.

I won't complain once my free year of connectivity service ends next year...

... but just to be sure... can the "connectivity" just use my phone's unlimited data via bluetooth or something? Just want to make sure I don't pay for something if I don't have to. If that doesn't work then I'll go ahead and happily pay for the Tesla connectivity.

You must be new here :)

Tesla has a very very long history of being incompetent at the most elementary and basic business practices.

That makes no actual sense.

They told Model S owners starting January 1, 2014 they'd get 4 years of free connectivity and then be charged for it.

4 years specifically.

That began ending for the first such owners January 1, 2018. It's almost January 1 2020 now, and Tesla hasn't figured out how to charge anyone- despite having their actual personal and billing info, and Tesla themselves costing the company money continuing to provide for free something the customer explicitly agreed to pay Tesla for

They told Model 3 buyers if they purchased before a specific date in July 2018 they'd get free lifetime connectivity, and anyone buying after that would get either 1 year (with the full premium interior) or 0 years with partial premium.

That time has also passed with no billing happening.

Again Tesla leaving literal free (to them) money on the table because of basic incompetence.
Shame on you. You kicked the bear and woke it up. Now lots of lucky Tesla owners will start getting charged. Luckily my S and 3 are old enough to get “free premium.”:p

A well run organization that sends an email out like this would explain that if you are an SR/SR+ owner you will not see the satellite maps or traffic until a software update is released, with an anticipated release date of xx/xx/xxxx.

We own two LR models and have always had satellite maps, so there is not need for me to relax or be patient, thank you.

If you own two Teslae, then you know how silly words like “A well run organization” and “anticipated release date” sound ....

Occam’s razor applies. The simplest answer is that - as history has shown us - Tesla hasn’t gotten their act together yet. Don’t attribute malice where simple incompetence is most likely.

... but just to be sure... can the "connectivity" just use my phone's unlimited data via bluetooth or something? Just want to make sure I don't pay for something if I don't have to. If that doesn't work then I'll go ahead and happily pay for the Tesla connectivity.
Unless they change it in a future update, once you put the car in drive the wifi turns off so currently that’s not possible.

If you own two Teslae, then you know how silly words like “A well run organization” and “anticipated release date” sound ....

Occam’s razor applies. The simplest answer is that - as history has shown us - Tesla hasn’t gotten their act together yet. Don’t attribute malice where simple incompetence is most likely.

I’ve never attributed malice to anything associated with Tesla in any of my 2,000+ posts. Incompetence is another story. But between this forum and the Tesla Model 3 forum there are now hundreds of posts about this subject trying to parse out what Tesla’s email was intended to state, especially with regards to SR/SR+ owners. So clearly it’s on people’s minds.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
I reread my vehicle sales agreement and delivery documentation. No where did it say that "premium connectivity" was not included in the sales price and only available for 12 months. Anyone know where this is documented in what we paid for?

Does it say lifetime connectivity WAS included in that agreement?

The fact Tesla was dropping free lifetime as of July 2018 was very, very, widely reported at the time.

They will NOT need to push a software update enabling this. Just like the garage door module. They flip a settings flag and it pushes to the car. Calm down. It’s coming.

Ok, I'll be that guy.

Pushing a setting change to the car is....pushing a software update :)

It's updating the settings and behavior of the current software.

Version doesn't need to change for that to happen.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Shame on you. You kicked the bear and woke it up. Now lots of lucky Tesla owners will start getting charged. Luckily my S and 3 are old enough to get “free premium.”:p

I got free lifetime as well... and the SR folks should be happy as they have the option now for premium connectivity... sucks for the July 2018 and later buyers who'll have to pay for what they've been getting free....but it's good for everyone that Tesla as a company is finally figuring out the basics how to be a functional company.

The description of partial premium and premium interiors has always been on the Tesla website order page. We bought our Model 3’s on 12/2018 and 3/2019 and I do recall seeing the notation of “1 year included” in the description. I don’t recall seeing the term in the order agreement, but I also don’t recall seeing a complete description of the features of my interior in the agreement, so I’m not sure why that would be relevant.

Yes, the comment is buried within the text of the description and probably not mentioned anywhere else. So it would be very easy to miss this and I can understand why some people are now surprised to see the fee for service.

You could set your phone up as a wifi hot spot and all the stuff on the chart that says it will work over wifi without premium will then work

Note that would NOT include:
Live Traffic Visualization
Satellite-View Maps

You have to pay the $9.99 a month to get those (in addition to the other stuff that otherwise works over wifi if you don't pay)

• Informative
Reactions: phaheem
Does it say lifetime connectivity WAS included in that agreement?

The fact Tesla was dropping free lifetime as of July 2018 was very, very, widely reported at the time.

Normally, when you buy a product, this particular piece of information would be in the sales agreement. For instance, you sign up with a new cell phone provider with a 1-year trial of a particular service, it will explicitly say that in the sales documentation. It doesn't really matter if something is "widely reported" legally.

This just makes Tesla look poorly. It's not about the money for us. It's about not associating with a company that will nickel and dime you after the fact. There is a reason a lot of people will never fly Spirit Airlines.