Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never attributed malice to anything associated with Tesla in any of my 2,000+ posts. Incompetence is another story. But between this forum and the Tesla Model 3 forum there are now hundreds of posts about this subject trying to parse out what Tesla’s email was intended to state, especially with regards to SR/SR+ owners. So clearly it’s on people’s minds.

agreed with you on all counts! My apologies if I came on strong - didn’t mean it that way. Just using too many words to say - historically - the best course of action with Tesla has been to just give them time to straighten themselves out. It’s never malicious, just dysfunction ;-)

cheers!

You could set your phone up as a wifi hot spot and all the stuff on the chart that says it will work over wifi without premium will then work

Note that would NOT include:
Live Traffic Visualization
Satellite-View Maps

You have to pay the $9.99 a month to get those (in addition to the other stuff that otherwise works over wifi if you don't pay)

Question is will it be seamless or do I have to connect to it every time? vs the built in LTE with the car?

Anyway to decline this update and keep things as they are?

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
... but just to be sure... can the "connectivity" just use my phone's unlimited data via bluetooth or something? Just want to make sure I don't pay for something if I don't have to. If that doesn't work then I'll go ahead and happily pay for the Tesla connectivity.
The car can connect to a mobile Wifi hotspot while parked (so you can e.g. use that to play Spotify music or Netflix videos while using a supercharger), but as soon as you switch to drive mode, Wifi is disabled.

• Disagree
Reactions: scramjet
Does it say lifetime connectivity WAS included in that agreement?
My Monroney sticker says that the car has "WiFi and Mobile network connectivity". But then, that is true whether you have "premium connectivity" or not. ;) Otherwise there is no mention of it in my paperwork. But I distinctly remember that the store pages said that premium connectivity was only free for a year when I ordered in 2018 (after the July deadline).

I did just check - my account shows that I am in the Complimentary period, but the car doesn't show satellite maps.

I totally get that this might take time, but I do kind of want to experience this and don't feel like I should have to pay / cancel to do so. There should be some kind of notification at least ("downloading satellite maps...") but alas, no.

Also did a soft-reboot and didn't update it.

Which car do you have?
It literally says in his signature it's an SR+. Anyhow, as an SR+ owner I'm pretty excited if this means I get to have satellite maps and live traffic. $10 a month is nothing, here in Canada my cellphone plan costs me almost $100 per month. I'm curious to see if this will include these features for us lowly SR+ people, and also if it will let us have updates over LTE, which would be more convenient as well.

I reread my vehicle sales agreement and delivery documentation. No where did it say that "premium connectivity" was not included in the sales price and only available for 12 months. Anyone know where this is documented in what we paid for?

It may not be listed in the purchase agreement. Someone posted a photo earlier that listed the premium features which noted 1 year of free connectivity

Normally, when you buy a product, this particular piece of information would be in the sales agreement. For instance, you sign up with a new cell phone provider with a 1-year trial of a particular service, it will explicitly say that in the sales documentation. It doesn't really matter if something is "widely reported" legally.

This just makes Tesla look poorly. It's not about the money for us. It's about not associating with a company that will nickel and dime you after the fact. There is a reason a lot of people will never fly Spirit Airlines.

Just to play devils advocate, there are zero car companies that give internet for free. (Audi/BMW are 20$ a month, Porsche is 11, Lexus has 3 different features for 8$ a month a piece, so up to 24$ a month) Not sure why it's a surprise. It was on the order page when you got your car.

And to add on, no other cars have OTA updates, especially free ones. Super reasonable, especially if hotspot functionality gets added(I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't add more cost tbh)

I don’t use the music streaming. I have an Apple Music subscription anyway so I prefer that. And I don’t use the browser or watch videos in my car. So I would not care if those went away.

But I’ve always had satellite maps and traffic visualization in my car. A friend of mine has the SR with the non-satellite maps and it’s noticeably different when I’m in his car. So I’m definitely willing to pay my $10 to keep my satellite maps live. I really enjoy the high resolution images, especially when driving around the coast and seeing how beautiful the scenery around me is on the maps.

Normally, when you buy a product, this particular piece of information would be in the sales agreement. For instance, you sign up with a new cell phone provider with a 1-year trial of a particular service, it will explicitly say that in the sales documentation. It doesn't really matter if something is "widely reported" legally.

This just makes Tesla look poorly. It's not about the money for us. It's about not associating with a company that will nickel and dime you after the fact. There is a reason a lot of people will never fly Spirit Airlines.

they aren’t nickel and dime-ing us. There was language on the website when we ordered that told us it was free for a year. I actually got it free for 16 months based on when I took delivery (aug 2018).

Reactions: Stockboy