Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did too...but these guys whining about this could pay for 100 years of premium with the price drops they got.

other than being somewhat fun to watch the whining...these entitled ones really do just need to stop

I unfortunately didn’t get any price drop. Possibly bought at the worst time. Aug 2018. Yes I got the full tax credit but the price cuts more than offset the difference in credit reductions. No free premium and no state incentive at the time (missed $3200 off the taxes by 3 months and they now have $2500 off again but not when I bought). I knew this was coming though.

Reactions: C141medic
Actually Mercedes offers Mercedes Me Connect for free for 3 years. It includes software updates over LTE, remote start, predictive navigation, Live Traffic, Online Map Updates, Stolen Vehicle Tracker.

Mine MB SLC had 5 years, didn't have the map updates but did include TuneIn for free for those years.

In addition I can always connect Apple CarPlay or Android if I want to use my own navigation and LTE.

The only thing I would use from Tesla is the traffic updates and that is not worth $10 a month when Google, Apple, and everyone else are giving it away for free.

BMW similarly gives traffic for free for 4 years. After that it is $50 a year. Not everyone needs streaming music when you phone will do it for you. So Tesla is grabbing for money when they know that some will subscribe just for traffic.

But its the reason why I like CarPlay so much and use it as my primary navigation and entertainment. I hate that car manufactures try to look you in to a subscription. This is clearly a part in which Tesla is not innovative and is worse off than a lot of the competition that has CarPlay as standard.
Yes, but then you have to drive a Mercedes...and be old

• Funny
Reactions: MattUNI
I unfortunately didn’t get any price drop. Possibly bought at the worst time. Aug 2018. Yes I got the full tax credit but the price cuts more than offset the difference in credit reductions. No free premium and no state incentive at the time (missed $3200 off the taxes by 3 months and they now have $2500 off again but not when I bought). I knew this was coming though.
Ah...that sucks.

You are happy that others are going to be charged now?

I certainly am, for a number of reasons.

1) It shows Tesla has grown up enough as a company to be able to figure out how to bill it's own, already existing, customers for a service they where almost 2 years overdue to start billing them for. Being unable to made them appear grossly incompetent (which- honestly- they HAVE BEEN on many IT related matters)

2) It provides a steady revenue stream for a company that has had free cashflow problems many times in the past- meaning it makes the company more stable going forward, and more likely to continue to grow and succeed.

Both are a major plus for both owners and investors.

$10 a month times say 350k 2019 produced cars is potentially 3.5 million bucks that'll start rolling in next year... on top of the 180k 2018 post-june-30 deliveries being another 1.8 million

That's over 5 million dollars, per month, in new revenue for something they were previously getting $0 in revenue while still providing for the most part.

And another 5 million a month (at least) for 2020 production- and more than that year after year as production growth continues.

I can't imagine why anyone interested in Tesla being successful long term would prefer "Tesla continues to trip over their own dicks and leave obvious revenue they should've been collecting for almost 2 years now on the table"

I read through most of the thread but didn't see addressed..sorry if I missed ..

If you go to OP in this thread, it's March 2019 and discussion is how the "1 year" mention on the order page was removed from the Model 3 order site...

That's when I ordered.

Then a month or 2 later, the phrasing saying premium connectivity was only for 1 year came back..

Soo... Do those who ordered in March 2019 when the website dropped the mention of 1 year limit have a case for lifetime connectivity??

I'm honestly shocked I'm going to start having to pay for this next year...
Do you have any proof they dropped it?

I certainly am, for a number of reasons.

1) It shows Tesla has grown up enough as a company to be able to figure out how to bill it's own, already existing, customers for a service they where almost 2 years overdue to start billing them for. Being unable to made them appear grossly incompetent (which- honestly- they HAVE BEEN on many IT related matters)

2) It provides a steady revenue stream for a company that has had free cashflow problems many times in the past- meaning it makes the company more stable going forward, and more likely to continue to grow and succeed.

Both are a major plus for both owners and investors.

$10 a month times say 350k 2019 produced cars is potentially 3.5 million bucks that'll start rolling in next year... on top of the 180k 2018 post-june-30 deliveries being another 1.8 million

That's over 5 million dollars, per month, in new revenue for something they were previously getting $0 in revenue while still providing for the most part.

And another 5 million a month (at least) for 2020 production- and more than that year after year as production growth continues.

I can't imagine why anyone interested in Tesla being successful long term would prefer "Tesla continues to trip over their own dicks and leave obvious revenue they should've been collecting for almost 2 years now on the table"
Plus this means they may offer some of us 980 Motor folk P power, since they have figured out how to charge people for other stuff.

Ok guys

So I own model 3 plus

I’ve have the premium connectivity I guess for a month or more.

now it all works good with the emails out and defining things that great

However the descriptions mention satellite view of maps and live visual traffics but I don’t have either of these.

so my guess is it’s a hardware thing or will I receive it when I go premium ?

M3 I picked up less than 6 months ago has v3 hardware

thanks

Plus this means they may offer some of us 980 Motor folk P power, since they have figured out how to charge people for other stuff.

While I love this idea- they already knew how to ONE TIME charge people for things (for example adding FSD...or hell using a supercharger)

It seemed the mystically complex concept of "billing them on a regular schedule" had eluded them for a few years though.

Hmm..but when you bought it...it was known to be 1 year right??

When I bought it in March 2018, there was no mention of a 1 year period. It just said my car came with premium connectivity. No time limit mentioned.

If you bought it in March 2018 you get it free for life. The 1 year only thing began with cars purchased after June 30, 2018.

I've had my SR+ for 2 months now and just thought I did not have satellite view or live maps because I ordered partial upgraded interior, or so I read somewhere. Just tonight, I cancelled my music channel bar at the bottom of my map screen. I keep about an inch showing and I still have the supercharging button in the lower right of the map screen. After collapsing my music icon screen, my 3 buttons appeared in the lower right and bam...satellite view and the stoplight icon! Feel stupid, but happy...

I've had my SR+ for 2 months now and just thought I did not have satellite view or live maps because I ordered partial upgraded interior, or so I read somewhere. Just tonight, I cancelled my music channel bar at the bottom of my map screen. I keep about an inch showing and I still have the supercharging button in the lower right of the map screen. After collapsing my music icon screen, my 3 buttons appeared in the lower right and bam...satellite view and the stoplight icon! Feel stupid, but happy...

They just enabled them as part of the 30-day free trial of premium connectivity. They will go away unless you sign up for the $9.99/month plan.