Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressed "park" on accident while driving on the highway. Is my car ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T

tony26

I was driving my model 3 for the first time and did something very stupid. On my Toyota to shut off the cruise control it's in the same spot pretty much as the button to put the Tesla in park. I was going 65 and had to turn off cruise control and hit the park button. I did not notice anything but I was kind of worried. I think it made a few sounds like I did something wrong. As soon as I hit it I knew I did something very wrong. Is it possible that I caused damage? I feel totally stupid but driving a Toyota for 10 years I just forgot how to turn the cruise control off on the Tesla.

Should I go have it check by Tesla to make sure I did nothing bad to it?

Holding the park button down while driving enables the parking brake. Doesn't happen instantly though; you're fine.

EDIT: This is from the 2019.36.1 manual, but I'm sure a newer manual says something similar.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 9.33.46 AM.png

EDIT 2: FYI, To disengage cruse control, just move the lever up to the 1st position.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 9.38.44 AM.png

Last edited:
Holding the park button down while driving enables the parking brake. Doesn't happen instantly though; you're fine.

EDIT: This is from the 2019.36.1 manual, but I'm sure a newer manual says something similar.

View attachment 802572
Thank you for the visuals, I was looking for something like this in my manual. The car did not come to a stop so I'm sure I only pressed it once since nothing happened but I wanted to ask.

I won't be doing that again.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX

View attachment 802572

EDIT 2: FYI, To disengage cruse control, just move the lever up to the 1st position.

View attachment 802573
Thank you, yes I did read the manual after I did all this and I did see that's how you disengage the cruise control. I will admit it's a bit odd for me, I would have thought pushing up would put it into neutral but what do I know.

Thank you, yes I did read the manual after I did all this and I did see that's how you disengage the cruise control. I will admit it's a bit odd for me, I would have thought pushing up would put it into neutral but what do I know.
Holding the lever on the 1st up position while driving will ‘shift’ the car into neutral. Just tapping it up will disengaged cruise control.

When you press that button at high speed it beeps and tells you to hold it if needed.
If you hold the button at high speed it applies the rear brakes fairly firmly. It doesn't seem to lock them up on dry roads but there's certainly a possibility that it could since it bypasses the ABS system.

So if you didn't crash, then you didn't hurt anything. It's a feature and something you should be aware of and unafraid to use in case of emergency - give it a try at ~20MPH to get a feel for it. It releases the brakes immediately when you release the button. Note that below 5mph it will slam into Park, which also doesn't hurt anything, it just applies the rear brakes even more firmly and of course remains in Park - it does not release when you release the button.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I did that once...ended up stopping on the fwy with traffic backed up lol

I was new to using autopilot at the time, and I recalled you can disengage AP by hitting park as an alternative from some YT video I watched.
Never doing that again!!!

I was driving my model 3 for the first time and did something very stupid. On my Toyota to shut off the cruise control it's in the same spot pretty much as the button to put the Tesla in park. I was going 65 and had to turn off cruise control and hit the park button. I did not notice anything but I was kind of worried. I think it made a few sounds like I did something wrong. As soon as I hit it I knew I did something very wrong. Is it possible that I caused damage? I feel totally stupid but driving a Toyota for 10 years I just forgot how to turn the cruise control off on the Tesla.

Should I go have it check by Tesla to make sure I did nothing bad to it?
I did this too as I drove my Tesla home fresh from the dealer. The car was smart enough to not stop on the freeway.