Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What might also help is many MCU1-owners complaining about this issue to Tesla, for example using this form on their web site: Contact | Tesla.
Note that you have to choose a topic that doesn't fit, because there are only limited options to choose from (they still need to fix that).

I just did this and asked them politely to be open about this issue to the affected Tesla owners and find an acceptable solution well before the inevitable black screen actually hits them.

Note: I forgot to add that a cheap / free MCU1 --> MCU2 upgrade would also help to ease the pain, but feel free to add that as well ;)

It seems like this would be low hanging fruit for Elon to remediate his reputation for being uncaring about cars needing repairs. Either:
a) be smarter about what is logged (I'll bet it could be shrunk to 1/10th);
b) hire some techs with IC repair experience and replace the eMMCs without a full MCU discard.

Shoot, Elon might even earn himself a reputation for being kind to the environment by eliminating all that e-waste.

What might also help is many MCU1-owners complaining about this issue to Tesla, for example using this form on their web site: Contact | Tesla.
Note that you have to choose a topic that doesn't fit, because there are only limited options to choose from (they still need to fix that).

I just did this and asked them politely to be open about this issue to the affected Tesla owners and find an acceptable solution well before the inevitable black screen actually hits them.

Note: I forgot to add that a cheap / free MCU1 --> MCU2 upgrade would also help to ease the pain, but feel free to add that as well ;)
I've not used that exact location. I've used the contact us form once logged into my account. 3 times in the past 3 months -- no response. Maybe you'll have better luck though...

Reactions: supratachophobia
I have not read every post in this thread but it appears a large portion of the writing to this Nand flash device are low level Linux operating system logs. If so I can see where they would be helpful in some cases but should not be written to a Nand flash devices routinely on customer cars. For a quick fix maybe redirect the operating system logs to /dev/null and only enable them if that level of logging detail is needed (probably almost never in the field). Another way of reducing wear to the Nand flash would be to cache many log entries and make a one single write to the Nand flash with all the cached entries. Caching would be harder because it would probably entail changing kernel code?

Reactions: Missile Toad
I have not read every post in this thread but it appears a large portion of the writing to this Nand flash device are low level Linux operating system logs. If so I can see where they would be helpful in some cases but should not be written to a Nand flash devices routinely on customer cars. For a quick fix maybe redirect the operating system logs to /dev/null and only enable them if that level of logging detail is needed (probably almost never in the field). Another way of reducing wear to the Nand flash would be to cache many log entries and make a one single write to the Nand flash with all the cached entries. Caching would be harder because it would probably entail changing kernel code?
Logging on a Linux system can be directed to tempfs in RAM, and then only retained at log rotation or if needed...

Reactions: GSP and .jg.
Hey, does anyone know if using the API with an app like Teslafi increase the logging activity on the MCU? Wondering if it is a good idea to suspend my Teslafi account as a preventative measure on my older S85.
Mine just died in Sept. Is your car still under ESA warranty? I see you have a 2014... Your replacement time is, unfortunately, coming regardless.