Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@busaman It seams like some have been able to recover from an black screen problem, others have not been so lucky and had to bring the car in. That's why some have been proactive about doing the replacement. But that in itself has risk so it's up to each person to make that decision based on reading this thread and others. There's also a way to extract the data (dissassembly required but no desoldering) for backup, but the data extracted is a encryption key that has a lifetime - could be up to years - but apparently depends.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
Just read the entire thread and I am now sufficiently scared that my car is not going to wake up next time I go to take a drive. What's the equivalent of hypochondriac for Tesla's?

Anyway, is there anybody in Arizona that has been through this process or know of a person/business with the chops to do it?

Reactions: brkaus
Is my MCU dying? Recently I’ve had to do more full resets and they take a bit longer than they used to. Pressing buttons and map actions seem delayed and sluggish. And some podcasts crash the audio player after 10-15 minutes. :(
To eliminate variables you could reset your car to defaults and see if it still has the same issues post reset. The reset clears history and other things and if that clears the issues then you don't have a hardware issue.

I had an issue with random reboots on my car and it was "bad APN settings on the cellular radio" that were causing the problems. Tesla engineering had to figure that one out. How they went bad is another discussion and it could be the early stages of degradation at work, but who knows!

Reactions: Buster1
If anyone is in the Boston area and able to do this fix, please let me know. I recently purchased a p85d and have no idea if the previous owner ever replaced the mcu. So I’d like to proactively swap this with a 64gb chip.

If anyone with a reasonable distance can help you it is probably EV Tuning in Seabrook, NH.

EV Tuning Tesla upgrades Tesla Accessories Tesla Parts

From what I understand, a new 16 GB chip and disabling most logging to it is a solution that will last longer than the life of the car.

Just read the entire thread and I am now sufficiently scared that my car is not going to wake up next time I go to take a drive. What's the equivalent of hypochondriac for Tesla's?

Anyway, is there anybody in Arizona that has been through this process or know of a person/business with the chops to do it?

I'm probably closest to you. PM if your interested, we can do this over mail.

so what happens if you get the black screen of death does that mean the original data is corrupt and useless and best to get it fixed before it dies.

Yes, it basically depends. Black screen can happen much before the whole chip is fried. So generally if you have recovery performed shortly after it goes black you have pretty good chances. The longer you wait, the higher risk the chip dies where you critical files are. Once they are gone, you will have to run without tesla connectivity once rebuilt, or go through the process of having tesla put the vehicle files back on for you.

My elderly 2013 now has 121k miles, so I'm thinking I should backup before it dies - what's the procedure to copy the eMMC contents without desoldering?

In the US you can send me the Terga, I can help you make a backup. Since you have the chip out I would suggest you have the eMMC replaced. The backup is only good until your certificate expires. Once on a new eMMC and current firmware, you should be safe from eMMC issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I don't know if they are, but if not they can certainly refer customers to someone who can.

How rare are providers of this service? In the province of Quebec there are at least two shops offering it.

You can probably count on 1-2 hands... I know 1 in Quebec, 1 in Netherlands, 1 socal, 1 norcal (might have stopped), and 1 with videos floating around the web. The web one I don't know much about, but their video does show that what that do should work. So the appear like they are offering real service.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
Well Looks like my testing of pushing my original emmc may be coming to a end...

This afternoon my mcu may have went black and not come back... Good thing I know someone who can fix this. 149,1xx miles and about 6 years. Will update status later.

Again I was testing to see how long my emmc can last. I don't recommend other do this. I have verified my backups and ready to rebuild it.