TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Preview of my Model S wrap

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by garcilamd, Jul 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

My first authored post! I've never been someone to really do any type of modifications on cars. I've always felt the factory or factory upgraded looks were the best. There is something about this car though that makes you want to protect it. That being said, I was going to get a clear vinyl wrap. While discussing with the detailer, he mentioned that he could do a full wrap in any color for only a few hundred more than a partial clear wrap. I guess the materials and thicknesses vary. After ruminating on it, I started to think about my current and soon to be turned in leased BMW M3. BMW released a limited edition frozen grey model shortly after I got mine. I'm not into true matte colors but there was something about this color that caught my eye. I'm not terribly flashy but I do like to have my car "subtly" stand out. Anyway, I picked up the car yesterday and drove it the ten miles to the detailer. I won't talk about how ridiculously amazing the car is everyone already knows but I thought I'd give a preview of the job so far.

I've tinted the windows with 20% black all-around. I have kids that will be in the back jump seats soon so wanted as much heat protection as possible. I'm also blacking out the chrome pieces. Finally will be doing a full wrap in frozen grey. I haven't decided what I'll do with the wheels. I have the 19" ones. I was pretty happy with how they look stock but am contemplating powder coating them a dark grey or black as well. We'll see. Anyway, here are a few photos the detailer has sent me so far. I'm picking up the car finished tomorrow night and will post the finished product pics at a later date.

I'm sorry if these are small. He's been sending them to me through facebook messenger.

WindowTint.jpg Breakdown.jpg FrntCnr_FrzGry.jpg

2. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

Here is another photo they just sent me showing the whole hood done. I've never liked the flat matte look but this color had a sparkle effect that I thought gave it more depth.

Hood_FrzGry.jpg

3. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

love that color! be sure to post final pics.

4. rjhoskins

rjhoskins Member

I can't wait to see the finished product. Nice choice on color, and the blacked out chrome has me especially interested on the silver S.

5. Park2670

Park2670 Member

In for complete pictures as well. Im really starting to enjoy vehicle wraps.

6. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

I'm supposed to pick up the car tomorrow night after work. I'll take some pics with my good camera and post them up.

There are still some things I'm up in the air about and I'm messaging the detailer back and forth. The chrome around the window areas are going to be glossy black for sure because it will match the texture of the black window tint. However, I've been tossing around the idea of carbon fiber for the front nose and chrome under the side mirrors but am on the fence. At least those areas are small and easy to re-do if I don't like the final product. Not too sure about the door handles either, whether to keep them body colored or go with black. He said he would do one of each choice since they are such small areas so I could see the differences and then decide.

Thanks for the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

I just received a photo of the handle wrapped in the body color. I think I like it.

DoorHandle.jpg

7. patp

patp Member

Great color. I think it fits such a "futuristic" car. Can't wait to see the full result.

8. strider

strider Active Member

What are you going to do w/ the chrome under the doors?

9. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

It's going to get wrapped in black to match the black non-gloss bottom of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

If any are unfamiliar with my inspiration, here is a photo of the limited edition M3 frozen gray.

BMWfrozengray.jpg

10. gnelson

gnelson Member

Those door handles are fantastic

11. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Looks amazing!

12. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

13. rjhoskins

rjhoskins Member

The door handles look awesome, I think doing them in the same color as the wrap is the way to go. I wish someone could find a way to wrap and match the door handles on stock Model S colors. Would love to get rid of the chrome on the handles but don't really want to go black.

14. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

Thanks, zax! I was just going to go gloss black on the chrome all around and then saw your car. Ha! Your car is the reason for my debate. I'm still thinking it over but am a minimalist at heart. The good thing is that whatever I decide, I can easily change those little bits without significant cost given that it's a wrap.

15. Johnnymack2

Johnnymack2 Member

Do you mind sharing the cost to do this? I am also about to XPEL, but knowing there are options like this is intriguing.

16. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

I'm in the Miami, FL area. The wrap was $2600 but they had a special for Jul 4th and they gave me $300 off. They had to special order this material which is made by Hexis. I don't know anything about this stuff but I've googled a bit and Hexis is supposed to be good stuff. Blacking out the chrome was only $250.

17. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Love the body color for the handles... I like to see them disappear. I love CF, but not sure if I'd go that route. Hmmm.. I probably would!

18. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

#18 kevincwelch, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    Killer wrap, man.

I would definitely powder coat the wheels. That color is going to look out of place with the new wrap you have. I think with that wrap, black powder coat would look stealthy and real sinister. Dark grey would do the trick too, but I think your wrap calls for a little distinction.

wrap.jpg

19. mpbruin108

mpbruin108 Member

love the wrap!! I was considering a matte wrap on my grey but I think it would make my car look too much like primer. Kudos to the door handles. I just posted a thread asking people what they thought about changing it to body color or something else. I like the wrap..kudos

20. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

I agree completely. Funny because I just got a quote from a wheel guy to powdercoat them. I'm still debating between black or a dark grey. Right now I'm leaning towards the black. I'll unfortunately have to wait a couple of weeks to get that part done while I do some comparison quotes in the South Florida area.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree with the not wanting the car to look like primer. I did a bunch of google searches of cars with this color wrap and it matches closely with the depth and shine of the finish of the frozen gray M3. When in person, this wrap has a metallic sparkle which also gives it more depth.