TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Price change after ordered

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Vbrazerol, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Vbrazerol

Vbrazerol Member

I put my $2500 deposit on Oct 7 2019 and the price for model 3 Sr+ Was $38990 Delivery 2-3 weeks. I have been waiting patiently for vin and delivery. This morning checking on my order the price went up to $39490 and now a 6-10 week wait. Tesla can’t do that but that is what is in my account. how is Tesla getting away with this price change after an order is placed. Sounds like a lawsuit. Are there others that this has happened to as well? If so a class action lawsuit is warranted.

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  2. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Lol, lawyer up and see how that works. ;)

Until you sign the contract and take delivery, Tesla doesn’t owe you anything except your $2500 back and you can pound sand until the cows come home.

This is moot anyway as they’ll honor the original price when you take delivery - they always have.

3. Vbrazerol

Vbrazerol Member

What about delivery time? My account went from 2 weeks to 6-10 weeks

4. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I think as long as you didn't get a "Final Price Sheet" (usually with a VIN), Tesla can change prices.

When you placed your deposit, there's an agreement and if you didn't like it, you shouldn't hand Tesla your money.

The agreement says:

"Limitation of Liability. We are not liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of this Agreement. Your sole and exclusive remedy under this Agreement will be limited to reimbursement of your Order Fee."

Thus, after taking time going through a court, the worst punishment Tesla could be penalized is to return you your $2,500 deposit.

5. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Estimate, not a promise. The estimate has changed. You have literally zero recourse.

6. Vbrazerol

Vbrazerol Member

Well I can take the order drive just under a 1000 miles and then return the car as used and get my money back.

7. Vbrazerol

Vbrazerol Member

Not true implied contract

8. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

No one has ever won for holding Tesla accountable to its delivery time accuracy since I bought a Tesla in 2012. Tesla's time is the worst!

9. Vbrazerol

Vbrazerol Member

apparently you are not lawyer

10. Vbrazerol

Vbrazerol Member

The delivery isn’t as much of an issue as long as it happens this year it’s the price change after I have a written commitment from Tesla emailed to me with price indicated.

11. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you! Do let us know how your lawsuit goes!

• Funny x 1
  12. Idkorcare

Idkorcare Member

they kinda did this with the performance models a few weeks back, my SR+ went up also ordered 10/16 but the order agreement still shows the same old price, wait time also went up to 6-10 FROM ORDER DATE. already past 2 weeks anyway

13. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Just a paperwork thing. They will honor your original price.

• Like x 1
  14. PowerBankT

PowerBankT Member

FWIW, my base 'car price' before adders has also increased within my 'payment method' section of the website by $2,000 and doesn't match the price when I build it out new from scratch and the side bar that used to list 'Within two weeks of order date' now says nothing about a time frame at all.

15. jonquiljo

jonquiljo Supporting Member

My car has changed in price too (order 10/11), though I don't remember the precise original -so I will guess $500-$700.

My “2-3 weeks” has disappeared and the usual nonsense about date configured, order date, build, etc is there.

Tesla is squeezing us for more nickels and dimes - and they can have the money if they deliver a car to me. I have a $2500 deposit, not $100, but apparently that did not lock me into any implied agreement. What they are doing is legal, though.

Tesla is acting cheap and petty by doing this - also seems desperate for a few bucks. If they want to act like they need to stand on a street corner and hustle for change - let them. It just further erodes their image IMO. But they make the best EV’s around, so I’ll let them take it. Hey Tesla ...want more?!

I do wonder, though. Doesn’t Tesla have any pride?

• Disagree x 1
  16. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Do any of you clutching your pearls over this have any positive confirmation that Tesla has no plans to honor your original order price? Because this has always been the case in the past.

17. tarballqc

tarballqc Member

The price has changed on my account, but i still see the correct values in the order agreement (pdf), which i just made a backup ... just in case.

18. heems

heems Member

Sounds Tesla and you are not a good fit. This is probably a sign on many more headaches for you. Tesla is an ever changing landscape and you require stability. Recommend a Mercedes. Solid. Never changes. Do everyone a favor and cancel your order.

• Disagree x 3
  19. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Give Tesla a chance to correct the price increase before jumping to any conclusions folks. This has happened to many customers and so far they have fixed it in every case that has been documented in this forum.

• Like x 1
  20. ntoine09

ntoine09 Member

So I just got word from my SA.
    "It’s looking like the price change is an internal system error. They are working on getting the pricing adjusted.

The car is anticipated to roll off the line within the next week or so.

You will be assigned a VIN as soon as that happens."

On my 10/4 order SR+ white/blck int. Rwd

• Helpful x 1