Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase! Base Y price up $2,000 to $56,990...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My May Order ($50,990) is just appreciating in value. Now we just need those Tax credits to come through. Anyone bummed about the price increases and not ordering, why didn’t you just order something and put it on hold to lock in the price when it was lower?

We are in crazy time, back then. last December, I paid 49900 and waited only 3 weeks for delivery. On top of that, Tesla gave 1 year of supercharge if you take delivery on Dec since they want to show their numbers to wallstreet :) I have been doing long road trip, free supercharge really helps :). I feel very lucky sometime :). I also electrified all my cars, sold all ICE cars, got new Honda Clarity and Bolt EV. The crazy thing is all cars went up value, basically, after 1 year of driving, I still make more money if I decide to sell them. It's really crazy time, I never thought in my life that you can make money on cars :). Just to give some numbers, I paid 2020 Honda Clarity 28K, after EV rebate + Tax Credit, I ended up paid only 18K+. Last week, I looked up Vroom and CarMax for fun, they offer me around 25,800. If I decide to sell to private party, it's around 27,800 (so basically, I made 8k after driving the car for 1 year). If you buy from dealer, it's 29K+. It's really crazy, this is like insane...

Anyone bummed about the price increases and not ordering, why didn’t you just order something and put it on hold to lock in the price when it was lower?

Sure, I wish I'd done that NOW, but then hindsight is always 2020, isn't it? I really didn't expect the prices to keep going up what with Tesla's mission being to bring EV's to as many people as possible. Seems counter to the mission to me, but it would seem I was wrong on that one.

My May Order ($50,990) is just appreciating in value. Now we just need those Tax credits to come through. Anyone bummed about the price increases and not ordering, why didn’t you just order something and put it on hold to lock in the price when it was lower?

I’m bummed I didn’t get in at the $48,990 time period during Feb/Mar as I was still waiting on the new headlights. But I had to go through with my purchase because they kept threatening to cancel my reservation if I didn’t go through with it and kept asking me about my order on hold every 90 days. I’ve gotten several auto cancellation emails and so decided to just go through with it in case they actually cancel my order because it is on hold too long.

We are in crazy time, back then. last December, I paid 49900 and waited only 3 weeks for delivery. On top of that, Tesla gave 1 year of supercharge if you take delivery on Dec since they want to show their numbers to wallstreet :) I have been doing long road trip, free supercharge really helps :). I feel very lucky sometime :). I also electrified all my cars, sold all ICE cars, got new Honda Clarity and Bolt EV. The crazy thing is all cars went up value, basically, after 1 year of driving, I still make more money if I decide to sell them. It's really crazy time, I never thought in my life that you can make money on cars :). Just to give some numbers, I paid 2020 Honda Clarity 28K, after EV rebate + Tax Credit, I ended up paid only 18K+. Last week, I looked up Vroom and CarMax for fun, they offer me around 25,800. If I decide to sell to private party, it's around 27,800 (so basically, I made 8k after driving the car for 1 year). If you buy from dealer, it's 29K+. It's really crazy, this is like insane...
this applies to pretty much every car. my 2018 prius is worth 4K more than I purchased it for after driving it 23K miles over three years. hope prices hold up until my MYLR arrives early 2022 hopefully with EV rebate and I can kind of replicate your success haha

More than ever before now is the time to order the Performance Model Y instead of the Long Range Model Y. If you add the cost of the 20" Induction wheels ($2000) to the Long Range Model Y and then purchase the Acceleration Boost for ($2000) after delivery you will have spent $4000, the Long Range Model Y will have cost you $60,990 US not including the $1200 delivery charge and any tax. You will have to wait until at least May '22 for the Long Range Model Y. You can purchase the Performance Model Y, instead, for $61,990 and expect delivery by December '21.

When they dropped the referal program for 1000 supercharger miles in mid Sept, my SA reached out to me and said he had a hunch that price increases were coming, and encouraged me to order asap. I ordered that week and the price increase came shortly after.

I ordered my MYLR on 9/5, white with white interior and tow. That configuration is the $1k less than the base model today. It's like I got the options for free! But seriously, with Tesla dropping the free connectivity and jacking up the prices $3k in only 2 months, something is going on. Either total capitalistic cash grabbing or the need for quick capital for growth. There's probably a bit of both at play.

Last edited:
Sure, I wish I'd done that NOW, but then hindsight is always 2020, isn't it? I really didn't expect the prices to keep going up what with Tesla's mission being to bring EV's to as many people as possible. Seems counter to the mission to me, but it would seem I was wrong on that one.
Just like why didn't I buy more TSLA in 2017 when I bought my MS...cuz who what of thought.......:mad:

When they dropped the referal program for 1000 supercharger miles in mid Sept, my SA reached out to me and said he had a hunch that price increases were coming, and encouraged me to order asap. I ordered that week and the price increase came shortly after.

anything else his crystal ball said? hahaha

i mean, it is what it is - at this point, there's no use in ordering the Y LR now and wait until spring.....

performance it is

Is that all that managed to get in at that price? I guess I was one of the lucky few, MY SR 39,990 base! Then added the 7 seat option and induction wheels so 44,990 total. Incredible value! Should have bought two …
I have no idea, I just remember it was a tiny window because I bought my MY LR the same time. Seems about right though.

Do we think this will go down once production ramps up? Didn't Musk say the goal was to be more affordable?
I do not. Why would prices go down when the demand is so high? As of 4Q 2021, the demand is probably the highest it has ever been. Also, Elon Musk says a lot of things. If you took him at his word, FSD would be light years ahead of where it is now. I don't care what Elon or the fanboys say, it's still essentially vaporware all these years later.

Reactions: ishareit