Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase! Base Y price up $2,000 to $56,990...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m bummed I didn’t get in at the $48,990 time period during Feb/Mar as I was still waiting on the new headlights. But I had to go through with my purchase because they kept threatening to cancel my reservation if I didn’t go through with it and kept asking me about my order on hold every 90 days. I’ve gotten several auto cancellation emails and so decided to just go through with it in case they actually cancel my order because it is on hold too long.
Me too, I actually test drove the car when it was $48,990 and the SA was trying to get me to lock it in. I wanted my wife to drive it and by that time it went to $49,990. It took two more increses for me to finally understand that it was only $100 to get price protection 🤦‍♂️.

Within 2 years, Tesla is going to have some real competition in the EV space. Until then, they have the brand recognition, technology, and "It Factor" that keeps driving an insane amount of demand. Tesla can keep jacking up prices at will until the competition catches up or the prices get too high. I will drive my M3 and MY for a few years and will reassess the EV market then. I'm looking forward to new models, brands, etc. I could care less about the brand name. Price, features, range, and quality drive my EV purchases, not brand loyalty.

Do we think this will go down once production ramps up? Didn't Musk say the goal was to be more affordable?

He did say that, but it seems demand is super high even at these inflated prices, so Tesla is taking advantage of it.

For me personally I can't justify spending $60K on a car, it just doesn't sit well with me when both of my cars are paid for, economical, and reliable. I'm patient, I'll wait until either prices drop or I'm so super rich I don't mind paying $60K for a car, whichever happens first.

Reactions: EVready
I can see where price can be an issue. Rampant inflation though is driving things up across the board. Tesla is just more nimble with their ordering model to take advantage of it.

I liken it to dynamic hotel and airline ticket pricing. Brilliant if you can get away with it. Can really suck to be the buyer too. I avoid travel over the holidays. Apparently everyday now is a holiday if you want to buy a Tesla.

I am so thankful I just ignored my wife and ordered our cars when I did. Between the two, we are over 23k ahead if I had waited like she wanted.

I literally can not save the $$$ fast enough to keep up with the price increases lately. +$7,000 since March. Yikes.
I was slightly upset when ordering in March, having missed the $1,000 lower price just earlier, which we now know was a very brief absolute low. So my car has *only* appreciated $6K since then (took delivery2 days after order: MY LR AWD 5 Blue 21)

Ordered a MY last week. Only problem with MYP is that it comes with summer tires. I need all season tires…so getting the P isn’t that great of a deal to me.

Does anyone think that the price increases could be due to potential new battery pack and extended range? They don’t want to leak info but can’t sell the MY at current price knowing changes are coming…

Ordered a MY last week. Only problem with MYP is that it comes with summer tires. I need all season tires…so getting the P isn’t that great of a deal to me.

Does anyone think that the price increases could be due to potential new battery pack and extended range? They don’t want to leak info but can’t sell the MY at current price knowing changes are coming…
Where do you live or what will you be doing in CA that you need AS tires?

As others have posited, I doubt range will be extended but the car may be lighter and less expensive to build.

For the first time ever, I may be buying a daily drive car that is an investment! My MYLR is scheduled for a March delivery. So if the tax rebate comes through, it will have cost me under $50K. Let's say Tesla comes out with the MY refresh next spring/summer, perhaps a much longer range with the new batteries, and 4-6 months of normal improvements. I sell mine for somewhere in the high 50s, get the new one, and with the tax rebate pocket the profit. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I can't justify someone waiting to purchase a MY - I can't see anything to be gained by delaying.

Within 2 years, Tesla is going to have some real competition in the EV space. Until then, they have the brand recognition, technology, and "It Factor" that keeps driving an insane amount of demand. Tesla can keep jacking up prices at will until the competition catches up or the prices get too high. I will drive my M3 and MY for a few years and will reassess the EV market then. I'm looking forward to new models, brands, etc. I could care less about the brand name. Price, features, range, and quality drive my EV purchases, not brand loyalty.
I do not believe there will be serious competition until other companies can set up reliable long distance Supercharging and source reliable and cost efficient multi year battery sourcing.

I do not believe there will be serious competition until other companies can set up reliable long distance Supercharging and source reliable and cost efficient multi year battery sourcing.
Tesla has by far the best charging system, important IF you travel long distance. And in my opinion the best car on the market under $100K. They have the worst service model (don't even think about calling/emailing/texting/writing us with a question). The beautiful car and superchargers make up for the lack of any way to contact them, and that drives these sales. I am getting my second Tesla in spite of the service. I just believe the other car companies will do well with some drivers who don't expect to travel long distances very often, and don't care for the inconvenience of charging a few times a year in exchange for a superior service system. Once we get over the initial greediness of the dealer system charging a premium for low availability/high demand cars such as the Mach E, I hope to see a competitive market out there.

A note, I love my service center and the people who work there. I fault Tesla for building a wall around them.

A local dealership is offering me almost $10k more than I paid for this car at the beginning of the year. I've driven this thing hard over the past few months and the offer is very tempting.....
Basically you can trade in a 6 months old car even for the latest model, which if delivered in January or later will possibly have a $7500 rebate? Is your sales tax covered by the trade in? Is this a no brainer?

Technically, a lighter car will go farther
True, but if they're able to produce the same range with less battery they could save money on every car. Just saying they may go that route considering they've been working to cut costs and increase profit and most people are already happy with the range.

Last edited: