Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on the fence about ordering the Model 3 Perforamnce now for months all because of the bill to hoipefully reinstate the tax incentive. Yesterday I spoke with my SA and was so close to just paying the $250 to "get in line" as they told me I could always pause my delivery date into 2022 if I wanted to hold out for a potential bill to pass. Now I am kicking myself that I didn't Effectively just lost $1000. feels bad
As long as Republicans vote "no" on any bill that comes from Dems, (regardless if it benefits their state or not, they just will always vote no), and you have Sinema and Manchin that arent really Democrats still in office, you will never see the bill get the votes needed. never! Anyone that says different, is living in an alternate reality.
Republicans (and Joe Manchin) are bought and paid for by coal and gas lobbyists. They will never vote for renewable energy related bills. Sorry, but just a fact.

We placed our order back in April and by the time we picked up the car in August, the window sticker was already $2K higher due to the summer price hikes. I agree with so much demand that there is little incentive for Tesla to stop raising the price. It may have something to do with potential incentives from the new infrastructure bill, but I doubt it. Not too many folks cancelling orders from what I can see here on the board.

I feel like the only play is to order now to lock in the price because the current wait is 6-7mo. for a MYLR. If the price increases, you're locked into the lower price, if it decreases , you can update your order to reflect the lower price. Putting your order on hold gives you even more flexibility if you aren't ready to take delivery so the only down side is possibly losing the $250 order fee, which is a small price to pay for all the possible benefits.

I saw this happening earlier this year and stupidly waited to finally put in my order when it was $52.5k. I wanted to order in February when it was $49k but wasn't ready to take delivery. At that time I saw the pattern of price increases but it looked like the chip shortage might be resolved by the 2021 2H and I thought they would come back down. It's clear that the chip supply issues are still an ongoing issue so the increases have continued.

It's interesting how they started to increase MYLR price by $500 every month and over the last 4 months they've increased it by $1k every other month (which still averages out to a $500 per month). Earlier in the year I figured there would be some sort of backlash if Tesla raised the price from $49k (lowest price) to ~$56k because they would be accused of trying to capture the $7k EV tax credits (a previous proposed bill being discussed at that time). I honestly don't think that is the case anymore as the chip shortage impacts are pretty well understood at this point and they can easily justify the price increases.

Glad I bought my M3 a couple months ago and feel sorry for anyone buying a SR+ or M3P now. Basically, being penalized for high demand.

At the same time, as a Tesla stockholder, I don't mind the price increase. Even after the news broke on the price increase, stock is still in positive territory. Thought it might take a hit.
Don't feel too bad for them, if they are ordering now there is a strong chance they will get onboard with the rebate.

As long as Republicans vote "no" on any bill that comes from Dems, (regardless if it benefits their state or not, they just will always vote no), and you have Sinema and Manchin that arent really Democrats still in office, you will never see the bill get the votes needed. never! Anyone that says different, is living in an alternate reality.
Republicans (and Joe Manchin) are bought and paid for by coal and gas lobbyists. They will never vote for renewable energy related bills. Sorry, but just a fact.
Not sure why people have hope for Tax credit when President of the United States doesn't even invite Tesla to White House EV Event.
Credits GM and Ford as EV pioneers. No mentioning that those pioneers do not recommend parking next to other cars because of fires.
Non bias media not mentioning that news, but Tesla catching up on fire after a car accident all over the news.
Funny thing is that Tesla continues to outsell them even with price increases 5-6 month wait.

So what happens when Tesla doubles supply of the Model Y with the launch of Tera Texas?
If the capacity of Texas and CA factories is enough to satisfy the demand, the prices will go down to maintain the plants operating near the full capacity. Tesla has a perfect problem to solve with their existing models. Basically, this situation demonstrates how behind is everybody else.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Thanks, ya in SoCal so the first wont apply, but the second would.
There are likely others for you. I had to do research to find mine. But see if Southern Cal Edison, or your cities, (San Diego, LA, Irvine, whatever) have some. Additionally, if you don't make over $75k (I think that's the income level), you can get your level 2 home charger install paid for. It only cost me $300 to have my 14-50 installed, but still, free money is free money. Cali has a lot of rebate programs.

Reactions: heapmaster
When I bought my Model Y back in March I was kinda pissed at the $1000 surprise price hike after making a configuration change.
Looking back, I bought the car $5000 cheaper than today and only had to wait 3 weeks for delivery. How things change!

Reactions: Ogre
So, if you support a party that is bought and paid for by lobbyists out to destroy the environment, that want to deplete every natural resource, and are actively trying to kill EV's in all forms, why are you buying a Tesla?
It uses lots of rare earth elements, my state burns coal, and it's a symbol of conspicuous consumption.

Tesla checks all the blocks regardless of which side of the aisle you're on! 🤪

That should read, "financially illiterate democrats." Just saying.
So, if you support a party that is bought and paid for by lobbyists out to destroy the environment, that want to deplete every natural resource, and are actively trying to kill EV's in all forms, why are you buying a Tesla? I would think a big F250 or even a 350, or H2 Hummer would be more your style?
Having concerns about a $3.5T infrastructure bill and how the F we are going to pay for it does not make someone Republican. The fact that Joe does not have full support of his party on this bill should tell you everything you need to know about fiscal responsibility (or lack thereof).

Having concerns about a $3.5T infrastructure bill and how the F we are going to pay for it does not make someone Republican. The fact that Joe does not have full support of his party on this bill should tell you everything you need to know about fiscal responsibility (or lack thereof).
Have you read the bill HR3684? Pretty sure, that's a "no".

Additionally, all 46 dems and both I's support the entire bill, the reason the progressive caucus didn't want to vote on it was because Biden was willing to compromise with Republicans for a smaller $1.x - $2.x trillion version, that cut or limited several programs. The dem progressives want the full 3.5 trillion and don't want to compromise. What you said sounds like little more than a sound bite from Fox News, and not grounded in reality.

You might want to read the bill, see what's in it and how it's paid for. Hint: You wouldn't pay a dime and 70% of Americans support the package, once they know what's in it and how it's paid for. That includes Republicans.

It uses lots of rare earth elements, my state burns coal, and it's a symbol of conspicuous consumption.

Tesla checks all the blocks regardless of which side of the aisle you're on! 🤪
Your state burns "coal"? Ummm, every state burns coal, even California. The difference is, to what degree coal makes up the electrical infrastructure. Kentucky and W Virginia are heavy coal based and lobbyists have McConnel and Manchin in their pockets.

Electric vehicles do use mined rare earth elements, which is dirty, but it only takes 6000 miles before you hit carbon neutral and parity with an ICE car. After that, ICE continues to pollute. Additionally, as batteries develop, that percentage of carbon pollution during the build process will decrease. ICE will never be carbon neutral. Which side of the isle brings us to a better future?

Reactions: OxBrew
True story, I ran numbers last night on upgrading my MYLR to a MYP. This morning I decided I’d go ahead with just “getting in line” for the MYP and BAM…price increase. I did still place the order, though.

In a sense, my MYLR is worth an additional $1k to effectively even things out but would have been $1k ahead if order was placed last night…

First world problem.

Maybe if they separated out this part rather than lump it into a HUGE $2.5 TRILLION dollar package of BS it would be bipartisan support.

Reactions: oktane
Your state burns "coal"? Ummm, every state burns coal, even California. The difference is, to what degree coal makes up the electrical infrastructure. Kentucky and W Virginia are heavy coal based and lobbyists have McConnel and Manchin in their pockets.

Electric vehicles do use mined rare earth elements, which is dirty, but it only takes 6000 miles before you hit carbon neutral and parity with an ICE car. After that, ICE continues to pollute. Additionally, as batteries develop, that percentage of carbon pollution during the build process will decrease. ICE will never be carbon neutral. Which side of the isle brings us to a better future?
These states burn coal because it is locally sourced, plentiful and cheap. McConnel and Machin are looking out for their constituents. While here in California electricity prices are probably 3 times what they are in Kentucky and West Virginia.