Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price increases 3/18. Will FSD option go up as well?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to a tweet by Elon they will revert back to the old prices on this coming Monday!
Buy or not buy?!?!
This is how I looked at it: I don't think it will ever be offered for free, let's say it does go down to $500, so if I buy it for $2k the most I'd feel like I overspent was $1.5k. But if it were to revert to $5k (or even $4k), I'd be kicking myself for not buying it at the discounted price. Now the other (arguably most rational) side says it's $2k for literally nothing at this point in time, with no estimate of when (if ever) we'll see any benefit from it, thus wait until the product is ready before dropping any amount of money on vaporware. I didn't say I'm a rational person... ;)

• Informative
Reactions: DriveMe and BBone
This is how I looked at it: I don't think it will ever be offered for free, let's say it does go down to $500, so if I buy it for $2k the most I'd feel like I overspent was $1.5k. But if it were to revert to $5k (or even $4k), I'd be kicking myself for not buying it at the discounted price. Now the other (arguably most rational) side says it's $2k for literally nothing at this point in time, with no estimate of when (if ever) we'll see any benefit from it, thus wait until the product is ready before dropping any amount of money on vaporware. I didn't say I'm a rational person... ;)
It's the old Devil on one shoulder and Angel on the other, for me let me just say that I bought it and the Devil made me do it!

Reactions: Ludalicious
Just tell her "at least I was right when I said "I do"". That'll win you some brownie points.
I think someone mentioned the "calculus" of all this in an earlier post I will use that "at the time of marriage" I was right thing (aka the right at that time calculus) for that. Sorry old habits from undergrad coming back - or was it memories of courses.

It seems to have been another demand lever only — disguised first as a good-will gesture and then a mistake they curiously wait a week to correct. ;) How many times did the free Supercharging come back?
Oh, far from it. Elon is a master of misdirection and a spin doctor. With this he accomplished a few things:
  1. Got a sales lever - more people purchased a software only option, adding pure profit to Q1 revenue
  2. Got free advertising from media reporting on the debacle - including advertising of the sales lever (stories on how prices are going back up next week)
  3. He closed a bunch of stores, but the story is how he didn't close the rest - so a positive spin on downscaling
  4. He got rid of sales bonuses, but burried that in the "not closing most stores" story
  5. He neutered EAP and FSD (FSD now consists mostly of old EAP features)
  6. By stirring up the social outrage about pricing, he buried #5 completely - masterful touch

Last edited:
This is working out pretty well for Tesla.
They announced the long awaited $35,000 base Model 3.
They lowered their prices to increase demand in a competitive marketplace and in light of the Tax Credit reduction.
They closed a bunch of poor performing showrooms.
They had a limited time sale on Autopilot installs. Will get them additonal data for the full rollout of FSD.
They eliminated sales bonuses at a time when they are unable to produce enough to supply demand.
They announced the upcoming V3 Supercharger and got everybody excited again.
They announced the reveal of the Model Y in a couple days. (Pi day. 3.14)
They got financing secured for the soon to be opened Gigafactory in China.
Began to ship Model 3 to Asia and Europe.
They announced upcoming software to give Model 3 owners a little extra power and range.
And at the same time got about a $Billion worth of free advertising.

In Elon's spare time Space X docked their Dragon space capsule at the International space station, Did it without the need for the positioning arm like everyone else, and returned the capsule safely back on earth.
Las Vegas approved the plans for a Boring company underground transit system for the Strip and Convention Center.

All and all a pretty good week of work. Not sure anyone else in the World has done anything comparable.