Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Primacy 4 replacing [mixing] Pilot Sport 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Picked up Tesla on 2 March 2021. Got a M3 long range. Somehow got a puncture on the first week. Took to Halfords who said it can't be repaired needs to be replaced. They ordered in a new tyre. We noticed they replaced a pilot sport 4 with a primacy 4 tyre, due to a shortage of pilot stocks. I asked about it and they said as it is the same brand and Tesla approved it is ok to mix. I have no idea about tyres so wanted to check opinions. Thanks.

Hi all. Picked up Tesla on 2 March 2021. Got a M3 long range. Somehow got a puncture on the first week. Took to Halfords who said it can't be repaired needs to be replaced. They ordered in a new tyre. We noticed they replaced a pilot sport 4 with a primacy 4 tyre, due to a shortage of pilot stocks. I asked about it and they said as it is the same brand and Tesla approved it is ok to mix. I have no idea about tyres so wanted to check opinions. Thanks.

unless you agreed to the change I’d be taking it back personally and requiring they swap it out. But again that’s because it would whined me up

I consider myself quite liberal tyre wise in that I am happy to have different tyres front and back on a car. something I found out not everyone agrees with after I mentioned it on this forum. I would not however consider having different tyres on the same axle. Doubly so on such a powerful car. Any unpredictability it generates could be dangerous
If nothing else I would suggest getting another primacy for the other side and either keeping the PS4 as spare or sell it online. Given the shortage someone might give you really good money for it.

No issue with the primacy itself. A lot of people are running them on LR's due to the shortage and not seen any complaints yet. Might even get myself a set soon though hoping to hold out for the Pilot Sport EV coming out this year

Cheers for all the advice. It would annoy me but could have dealt with it if it made no difference. Clearly it seems to do ?
Turns out they also have me a 98w rather than 98y so lower speed rating. Plus it was the Volvo version.... Brilliant.

Had a moan and they have refunded it + let me keep the tire. So now I'm thinking to get 2 primacy 4s 98ys at the back. Now to find them in stock which doesn't seem easy but not impossible like pilot sport s !

Also means I now got to sell:
1 month old pilot sport 4 235/45 R18 98Y.
1 day old Primacy 4 235/45 R18 98W Volvo.

Fun times ! Checked with Tesla just in case and £284 for a pilot sport ! Bloody hell....

I assume the speed rating is important ?
Should be Y but we got given a W (and the specific one for Volvo's which may or may not matter ).

So I don't know if j need to get two new primacys rather than just 1.

And last problem is finding stock. 😃. Kwik fit, Asda etc all don't have the 98Ys. I'm wary of going to local garages but clearly Halfords wasn't the best idea too !

Cheers for all the advice. It would annoy me but could have dealt with it if it made no difference. Clearly it seems to do ?
Turns out they also have me a 98w rather than 98y so lower speed rating. Plus it was the Volvo version.... Brilliant.

Had a moan and they have refunded it + let me keep the tire. So now I'm thinking to get 2 primacy 4s 98ys at the back. Now to find them in stock which doesn't seem easy but not impossible like pilot sport s !

Also means I now got to sell:
1 month old pilot sport 4 235/45 R18 98Y.
1 day old Primacy 4 235/45 R18 98W Volvo.

Fun times ! Checked with Tesla just in case and £284 for a pilot sport ! Bloody hell....
Black circles claim to have 235/45 R18 Y (98) rated Primacy in stock. That would seem the easiest option

Shockingly while tasty not quite 😃. I was also surprised to find Asda tyres ! I felt a well known brand might be better in terms of warranty etc than local garage but clearly Halfords did a fast one.

Pilot sport EV do look pretty interesting but not sure I can wait with these random tire on my back left!

In terms of speed rating - RAC mention can impact car insurance so definitely not worth taking the risk I think !

What is it with Michelin and stocks !? Other brands seem fine.

Contacted Michelin and they confirmed pilot sport t0 will be in UK by 5th May. Which isn't super far but too long to keep my car off the road.

Tempted to just bite the bullet and pay the huge £284 to Tesla and have it sorted. It turns out it's going to annoy the hell out of me not have 4 tyres the same regardless of whether it actually has any impact or not ...

Contacted Michelin and they confirmed pilot sport t0 will be in UK by 5th May. Which isn't super far but too long to keep my car off the road.

Tempted to just bite the bullet and pay the huge £284 to Tesla and have it sorted. It turns out it's going to annoy the hell out of me not have 4 tyres the same regardless of whether it actually has any impact or not ...
Really wouldn't bother with the t0 rating or foam as it makes no noticeable difference.
Might be better to just get a normal PS4 and put the other tyre on a spare wheel so you can use that when sods law it happens again! :rolleyes:

Reactions: M3noob
Hmmm... Can I live with the fronts being 235/45 ZR18 98Y T0 while the back being 235/45 R18 98Y. Even the drop of Z, which is overwrote by the Y anyway, annoys me. But for £120 saving per tyre maybe I just need to get over it :p.

Now would if I got the non t0 pilot sport 4 without foam would I need to replace the back right t0 acoustic or would them both being Pilot Sport 4s be fine....