Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem Encountered w/ AP2 - Any Others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have encountered two "major" problems w/ my 2017 AP2 handling. Has anyone else experienced these?
1. When driving on a freeway underpass approaching a bridge overpass while driving on the freeway (especially if there is a slight dip before the overpass), the autopilot drastically engages the braking system. I think the AP "thinks" it is mistakingly approaching a large object on the freeway rather than going under a bridge, and it goes into AEB mode.
2. When driving on the street with a curb on one side and painted center line, when approaching a painted gore point in the road, the car tries to turn left following entry into the gore point lane.
TIA

1. ...bridge overpass while driving on the freeway...

Did you experience an AEB mode that would sound an alarm and would give out an AEB message on your instrument cluster and would decelerate your car 25MPH less (65MPH -25= speedometer says 40 MPH)?

In my experience, the decelerations were minimal like a few MPH less for a second and back to normal driving speed again but I could really feel it.

AP2 did decelerate much more often for "no" reasons as owners reported including overpass bridges, overhanging signs, car in front that making an exit or turn.

But not as much anymore with current firmware version 8.1 (2017.28 c528869).

My guess is: Tesla is trying to avoid another Fatal AP1 Florida accident so AP2 has been much more cautious which results in not as smooth as AP1.

As time goes by, more validations for what are dangerous and what are not will be done and AP2 will be much smoother. The timeline is still unknown but hopefully soon.

2. ...gore point lane...

I've been driving for the past almost 4,900 miles mostly on freeway and autosteer has been working quite well.

There are exceptions of course but I haven't encountered your experience of running into gore point lane unless I purposefully turn on the turn signal early before an exit and it would comply by turning to the next lane which in this case a gore point lane.

The system is not perfect right now.

These scenarios will continue to happen to you until the system will be corrected in subsequent updates.

You just have to learn what works and what don't for your driving and you should not rely on it until the problem are fixed in future updates.

Remember, Autopilot is Level 2 which means human driver is the primary monitor to ensure safe operation.

In level 3, which is not yet commercially available yet (2019 for Audi A8 up to 37MPH), Primary Monitor Function will be shifted to the system and human will be a backup if the system can't handle a scenario.

Last edited:
I’ve had my vehicle with AP2 for less than 1000 miles, and going down the interstate, there were a few hills over here in TN, and I was just leisurely cruising along and all the sudden mine tried to AEB when I approached a steep grade. I almost was rear ended in the process but thankfully our instant torque saved me. It did it again not long after, so now I believe whole heartedly it was the steep incline being detected by the Sonar.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I have a MS 75 D which I assume is an AP2 as I took delivery in July 2017. I have less than 2000 miles experience and have experienced AEB as described by Tam twice. In both cases I was unable to identify what triggered it as it was an open road with no overpass or steep incline. Is their AI onboard that learns from these events?

I have encountered two "major" problems w/ my 2017 AP2 handling. Has anyone else experienced these?
1. When driving on a freeway underpass approaching a bridge overpass while driving on the freeway (especially if there is a slight dip before the overpass), the autopilot drastically engages the braking system. I think the AP "thinks" it is mistakingly approaching a large object on the freeway rather than going under a bridge, and it goes into AEB mode.
2. When driving on the street with a curb on one side and painted center line, when approaching a painted gore point in the road, the car tries to turn left following entry into the gore point lane.
TIA

Both two problems reminiscent of the ones I have. The ghost brakes are a constant nuisance with a couple of serious ones.

The second point I have a variation of: AP2 tried to steer me into cement blocks when it started following a tar line on the road instead of perfect, newly painted white road markings on both sides of the lane.

Have anyone noticed a pull to the right when Engaging AS? I thought it was just centering the vehicle between the lines, as I tend to drive more to the left nearer the drivers side. When passing on the left of a truck the positioning seems to ignore the line on the right and lock on via the sensors to the vehicle on the right and re-centering. I find it uncomfortably close to the vehicles on my right. Does the system learn from the driver actions to steer more on the left?

I've only driven 1000 miles. The one issue I'm finding is that if a car cuts in front of me from another lane, my car does not detect it quickly and I have to apply the brakes.

I've noticed this too and I have had to stab the brakes ... I'd love to know if the car would've taken corrective action but I can't afford to risk it just in case that software hasn't quite been perfected yet ...

I second the observation the car does not react to being cut off soon enough. 90% of the time it's fine, the slower reaction causes no change. But 10% I have to do like you and take control.

That being said, I am not sure what the answer is. We don't want to slam on the brakes because the texting zombie in the next lane is wandering, but we do want to react when we are cut off sooner. When I am driving I move over a little in the lane to allow more reaction time, might be an option.

Just chiming in here, when I first picked my car up back in June of 2017 I had some pretty nasty experiences with overpasses and inaccurate GPS areas (there is a section between Barstow, CA and Las Vegas, NV that is being built and the car slowed down from 75mph to 40mph pretty abruptly) that had zero audible warnings... just intense and unexpected slowdowns.

Fast forward to now, with around 5,250 miles on my Model S and a few software upgrades the car seems to handle things much better. Although I still don't trust underpasses with dips below them at all and will either brace myself or disengage AP2 for a few seconds until I get past it.

Have anyone noticed a pull to the right when Engaging AS? I thought it was just centering the vehicle between the lines, as I tend to drive more to the left nearer the drivers side. When passing on the left of a truck the positioning seems to ignore the line on the right and lock on via the sensors to the vehicle on the right and re-centering. I find it uncomfortably close to the vehicles on my right. Does the system learn from the driver actions to steer more on the left?
Yes, it happens to me quite often. The avatar on the dash even shows that it is too far to the right. Sometimes, the wheel is literally on the right line and bumping over the lane reflectors. Other times, it is perfect. I believe that it is happening less and less, but I don't have any empirical evidence of that. I haven't been able to isolate the conditions where it pulls from those when it doesn't - appears to be random.