Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, picked up my blue, LR Model 3 yesterday at Heathrow. The car is amazing, all I had hoped for, but I had some issues straight away...

There is a big scratch on the underside of the bumper, like it dragged on the floor after coming off a transporter.

There is a small white blob on the right rear passenger door. Like a chip, but totally smooth, as if it'd under the paint. They added some touch up paint to cover it, but it looks pretty bad.

Both of these were logged as a 'concern' by the guys there, and I've booked a service appointment to hopefully sort these, but first available one isn't for over 2 weeks.

At least two interior lights aren't working. Don't know exactly how many there are supposed to be, and I'll do another check tonight when I'm home, but the driver footwell and one of the trunk lights aren't coming on. I expect this to be an easy fix, loose wiring or something, but I think it's best to let the pros handle it rather than get my hands dirty...

There are numerous small scratches all over the paint. These are pretty par for the course apparently and I think I should be able to fix these myself, though not exactly great when I've just blown so much money on the car...

The first 2 issues I logged while still at the delivery centre but the following 2 I only noticed when I got back home. I've added them to my service appointment, but I am now over the 100 mile limit.

Any advice as to what to do to sort everything will be appreciated. Can I expect them to fix everything perfectly? I can't see how they would fix the bumper without a full replacement and the 'chip' in the door possibly the same.

Also, by the time of the appointment, I will be over my week long return period which is also worrying me.

Hope you can put my mind at ease!

IMG_20200306_113255.jpg

IMG_20200306_123257.jpg

You should expect a perfect result. You paid for a new car.

In regard to interior lights do you mean courtesy lights? Mine were not set properly to operate automatically when I first got the car but it was just a matter of changing the setting on screen.

I also picked mine up yesterday at 10am from Heathrow - White Model 3 Performance.

Not had the chance to do a FULL Check but I did notice as I was driving home scratches on the Centre Console. I then stopped to get something and noticed a chip on the windscreen on the top (where the seam is). I called the number as I was too far to drive back and the phone just kept going into IVR saying to call back later. I did this later and it said the offices were closed.

I phoned up Sales and spoke to the guy I bought the car from, he said to use the App and book it via a service. So I have booked it for Monday - Ill call them before I get there to make sure they give me a courtesy car - lucky I had Monday off!

Attachments

• IMG_3099.JPG
    IMG_3099.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7853.JPG
    IMG_7853.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 48
but I did notice as I was driving home scratches on the Centre Console.

Scratches or glue? They seem to have taped things to our console (such as the key cards) and this left a residue. So may remove with light use of something like stickystuff remover (don't try scratch it off as it will scratch easily) if you want to sort sooner than a service visit (you may have a console wrap you want to fit) but, imho, its not up to the customer to know what cleaning products is safe for what finish and to go out and buy it, so for sake of a couple of rubs by SC who should know what to clean what with, I would leave it with them.

Scratches or glue? They seem to have taped things to our console (such as the key cards) and this left a residue. So may remove with light use of something like stickystuff remover (don't try scratch it off as it will scratch easily) if you want to sort sooner than a service visit (you may have a console wrap you want to fit) but, imho, its not up to the customer to know what cleaning products is safe for what finish and to go out and buy it, so for sake of a couple of rubs by SC who should know what to clean what with, I would leave it with them.
Look like Scratches to me - but will let SC deal with it tomorrow. I do have a wrap, but would rather get a non scratched console to then wrap :)

Reactions: Blueskye
I phoned up Sales and spoke to the guy I bought the car from, he said to use the App and book it via a service. So I have booked it for Monday - Ill call them before I get there to make sure they give me a courtesy car - lucky I had Monday off!

If past experience is anythign to go by you wonlt need a courtesy car... they'll look at it and make another appt some many weeks ahead. Conspiracy theorists believe this is the Tesla way to deal with 4 year warranties....

Reactions: Rooster6655
Your situation isn't great, but in the big scheme of things they're all pretty minor. Just be persistent with the SC in getting them resolved and enjoy the car in the meantime.

Problems like this shouldn't be happening and it definitely reflects on rushed production, sloppy transport, and poor PDI. Tesla make the world's best EVs, but the wider organisation to sell, deliver, and support them is still shaky.

It is as it is. Owning a Tesla means you just have to live with it. If you can't, well you know what to do... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
Hi guys, picked up my blue, LR Model 3 yesterday at Heathrow. The car is amazing, all I had hoped for, but I had some issues straight away...

There is a big scratch on the underside of the bumper, like it dragged on the floor after coming off a transporter.

There is a small white blob on the right rear passenger door. Like a chip, but totally smooth, as if it'd under the paint. They added some touch up paint to cover it, but it looks pretty bad.

Both of these were logged as a 'concern' by the guys there, and I've booked a service appointment to hopefully sort these, but first available one isn't for over 2 weeks.

At least two interior lights aren't working. Don't know exactly how many there are supposed to be, and I'll do another check tonight when I'm home, but the driver footwell and one of the trunk lights aren't coming on. I expect this to be an easy fix, loose wiring or something, but I think it's best to let the pros handle it rather than get my hands dirty...

There are numerous small scratches all over the paint. These are pretty par for the course apparently and I think I should be able to fix these myself, though not exactly great when I've just blown so much money on the car...

The first 2 issues I logged while still at the delivery centre but the following 2 I only noticed when I got back home. I've added them to my service appointment, but I am now over the 100 mile limit.

Any advice as to what to do to sort everything will be appreciated. Can I expect them to fix everything perfectly? I can't see how they would fix the bumper without a full replacement and the 'chip' in the door possibly the same.

Also, by the time of the appointment, I will be over my week long return period which is also worrying me.

View attachment 519028
View attachment 519029
That’s very disappointing for you. At least it sounds like you’d mentally prepared yourself for the inevitable issues.

Certainly my own experience has been that Tesla will sort things out for you.

However, that’s still no excuse for the shoddy standard of some of the cars they are delivering.

So finally managed to speak to someone from Tesla today. They confirmed everything should be fixed at the service appointment, moved the appointment earlier in the day and confirmed a loaner car.

Does anyone know if it has to be the registered owner who drops off the car/takes the loaner? I'm at work so was going to get the wife to do it. Will this be an issue?

Since we already have this topic... I picked up mine 3 today and straight away noticed black line going horizontally across the whole screen + one brake light at the back doesn’t work. Confirmed these would need to be replaced. Otherwise it’s a beautiful car!

Does anyone know if it has to be the registered owner who drops off the car/takes the loaner? I'm at work so was going to get the wife to do it. Will this be an issue?

We have upcoming appt and similar logistics so specifically asked.

Tesla must have NI number and driving license details or anyone planning on driving the loan car. They can do an online check with this info.

Apparently loan car is insured third party (fire and theft?) but not fully comp - although confusingly the £2500 excess was mentioned saying that it was the max you were liable for. So sounds to be fully comp with 2500 excess. Suggestion was to get car covered on existing car insurance which, after incorrect initial advice by DL, they said would be covered - let them know details on the day. Mind you, many Model 3 excess are pretty high too.

I would double check loan car situation with your insurers.

We have upcoming appt and similar logistics so specifically asked.

Tesla must have NI number and driving license details or anyone planning on driving the loan car. They can do an online check with this info.

Apparently loan car is insured third party (fire and theft?) but not fully comp - although confusingly the £2500 excess was mentioned saying that it was the max you were liable for. So sounds to be fully comp with 2500 excess. Suggestion was to get car covered on existing car insurance which, after incorrect initial advice by DL, they said would be covered - let them know details on the day. Mind you, many Model 3 excess are pretty high too.

I would double check loan car situation with your insurers.

Thanks, would've just assumed they would sort insurance, fully comp. I'm sure that's how it's worked previously, but will check with Direct Line.

I think MrM of the shipping thread fame stated a while ago that the key cards are taped to the centre console for transit so could be glue marks, hopefully.

View attachment 519028
View attachment 519029

I expect they will just replace the bumper with a repainted one and then send yours off to be repainted for someone else.