Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pros and Cons of 5 Seater MX vs new 7 Seater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 5 seater only gets more cargo space because the middle row can fold. The space where the third row seats fold away under the floor is not very useful, IMO. The main benefit is the folding bench.

That space normally occupied by the third row, is quite cavernous IMO. It is 23 x 39 inches and 7 inches deep (58 x 99 x 17 cm). Plus it is COVERED space, completely hidden from view. It was the main reason I picked the 5-seat config.

I also bought the extra sub floor ($120) that covers the pit in the back providing a storage spot for the trailer hitch, ChaDEmo adapter and other charging accessories, without consuming any floor space or consuming the frunk. (I am not sure why that sub floor is not included with the car, I find it very useful)

That space normally occupied by the third row, is quite cavernous IMO. It is 23 x 39 inches and 7 inches deep (58 x 99 x 17 cm). Plus it is COVERED space, completely hidden from view. It was the main reason I picked the 5-seat config.

I also bought the extra sub floor ($120) that covers the pit in the back providing a storage spot for the trailer hitch, ChaDEmo adapter and other charging accessories, without consuming any floor space or consuming the frunk. (I am not sure why that sub floor is not included with the car, I find it very useful)

I've never used the space where the third row is normally folded. Anything you put in there just ends up sliding into the trunk pit.

I've never used the space where the third row is normally folded. Anything you put in there just ends up sliding into the trunk pit.

The sub floor completely prevents that from happening. The sub-floor is the same height as the lower deck. Basically you have three complete deck levels: 1. the trunk "pit"; 2. The lower deck full length (covered) and; 3. the upper deck full length (exposed). This only works with the 5-seat configuration plus the optional https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/produc...model-x-rear-trunk-load-floor---5-seater.html

Can someone please confirm that with the 7 seater 3rd row laid flat, the second row bench leg room is the same as a regular 5 seater?

I bet there are precious few folks that have both a 5 passenger and a 7 passenger, to compare. You might have to visit a showroom to be sure. I can tell you that the five passenger seat is fixed, does not move fore or aft. Probably not a useful response though.

Five seater, 2016. Two adults and we rarely carry more than two other adults. Love the storage room and not having to mess with additional third row. I bought a container at Home Depot that fits exactly in the spot where the seats are in a 7 seater. We pack a bunch of food goods in there when we migrate North or South depending on the time of year.

Had a quick look and there are no middle seat latches on our 2018 7-seater bench. Latches are only on the outer second row seats and the 2 third row seats. We call them ISOFIX over in the UK, but I think it's the same thing.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess for the middle seat I’d have to use the outer latches

We tormented over the 5-seat and 7-seat configuration. Called all the showrooms within 150 miles, and none had both the 5 and 7 seater.

Went to Mt. Kisco where they had lots of MX waiting for delivery, and saw all the seat combos - and lots of color combos too! Main consideration was the 2nd row seats were the same (they were - and reclined the same), and that when the third row was folded it would be completely flat (it was).

Went with the 7-seater, though we will likely use the third row as often as we would use the extra storage with the 5-seater. Our thought was for the few times we needed extra seating, it would be nice to have. Absolutely no need for more storage space. We almost never use the frunk our our MS.

Reactions: bmms8
We tormented over the 5-seat and 7-seat configuration. Called all the showrooms within 150 miles, and none had both the 5 and 7 seater.

Went to Mt. Kisco where they had lots of MX waiting for delivery, and saw all the seat combos - and lots of color combos too! Main consideration was the 2nd row seats were the same (they were - and reclined the same), and that when the third row was folded it would be completely flat (it was).

Went with the 7-seater, though we will likely use the third row as often as we would use the extra storage with the 5-seater. Our thought was for the few times we needed extra seating, it would be nice to have. Absolutely no need for more storage space. We almost never use the frunk our our MS.

That is my thought as well. I’m glad to hear the space is the same for second row. Do you happen to have a car seat in middle of second row with two adults on either side, often? :)