Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA-Front trunk (frunk) unlatched while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No parts replacement needed. They inspected and re-seated the latch assembly according to some TSB. It was a fairly quick visit as I was there for a tire rotation and they took care of it at the same time.
I saw that TSB, but this fix will not avoid what is being discussed in this thread. The interior release button is acting as designed, it's just that the design is flawed ...

Crappy design?
Wait a minute. Did the frunk lid in this case
a) actually open, as in fly up, or completely unlatch, or did it
b) unlock as per standard and stop at the latch point?
By crappy design I mean that the release button is too exposed to things rumbling around in the frunk. IMO they should have further recessed the button, or perhaps use a similar button as in the trunk (which you need to press sideways).

Reactions: C141medic
Crappy design?
Wait a minute. Did the frunk lid in this case
a) actually open, as in fly up, or completely unlatch, or did it
b) unlock as per standard and stop at the latch point?
If you don’t want your frunk unlatching (I refer you to my initial post) and receiving warning messages when you’re going down the freeway because cargo is contacting the button, then in my opinion that’s a bad design.
As @Eno Deb mentioned, the button should’ve been designed better (more recessed) or perhaps even have a clear slide/flip up cover to prevent cargo from activating it inadvertently. In other vehicles, glow in the dark pull tabs are used. An electronically activated push button (the way it’s currently designed) in the frunk apparently isn’t practical based on my and others’ experience.

Really caught me off guard as I was doing about 60MPH. I pull over to the side of the road and close the frunk. After about another 5 minutes or so I get the same warning. I was almost at my work lot so I continued at a low speed and parked. I discovered that my backpack, which had a bottle of water on the side, was sliding and hitting upon the inside frunk release and opening it while driving.

[/ATTACH]

Gud'afternoon and thank you for that informative PSA. If I may offer a solution.....

I too have experienced stuff sliding around inside my Frunk.

My Solution was to buy one a rubber Frunk mat and now stuff no longer slides around.

I found the Frunk and Trunk rubber floor mats that are Tesla branded are cheaper then the ones made by Weather Tech (who also makes the Tesla branded Trunk, Frunk and interior floor mats).

Conversely, I have found the interior floor mats on Weather Tech website were much cheaper the Tesla branded interior floor mats on the Tesla web site.

Saved a few hundred dollars getting my Frunk and Trunk mats from Tesla and my interior mats from Weather Tech.

Food for thought and thank you again for contributing what you experienced, so we can all learn from it.

Kindest regards,
Hugh-SG

Gud'afternoon and thank you for that informative PSA. If I may offer a solution.....

I too have experienced stuff sliding around inside my Frunk.

My Solution was to buy one a rubber Frunk mat and now stuff no longer slides around.

I found the Frunk and Trunk rubber floor mats that are Tesla branded are cheaper then the ones made by Weather Tech (who also makes the Tesla branded Trunk, Frunk and interior floor mats).

Conversely, I have found the interior floor mats on Weather Tech website were much cheaper the Tesla branded interior floor mats on the Tesla web site.

Saved a few hundred dollars getting my Frunk and Trunk mats from Tesla and my interior mats from Weather Tech.

Food for thought and thank you again for contributing what you experienced, so we can all learn from it.

Kindest regards,
Hugh-SG
Hi Hugh, thanks for the response and suggestion. The Tesla frunk/trunk mats (made by weathertech) are definitely a better value than shopping from Weathertech. I have the Tesla frunk/trunk mats from Tesla (ordered when I purchased the car). They’re great, but unfortunately, in my case, didn’t prevent my backpack from sliding around.

So, I was driving to work today going down the highway and all of a sudden I get this warning on my screen: “Front trunk unlatched-please close the front trunk before driving.”

Really caught me off guard as I was doing about 60MPH. I pull over to the side of the road and close the frunk. After about another 5 minutes or so I get the same warning. I was almost at my work lot so I continued at a low speed and parked. I discovered that my backpack, which had a bottle of water on the side, was sliding and hitting upon the inside frunk release and opening it while driving.

I now know for the next time. But I would’ve thought that if the inside frunk release was inadvertently activated at highway speeds it shouldn’t be opening? The good thing is it was only partially open and not totally unlatched.

View attachment 448862
This has happened to me. For now, I am careful about what and where I put items in the frunk.

Update:

So, crickets from my email to Tesla regarding this issue. Now that I know why it was unlatching I’m not in a hurry to get it fixed (if there’s even a fix by Tesla). Here’s my home baked temporary inelegant solution for such a high tech car. Perhaps I’ll get a more permanent flip style clear box but for now this may work.

754D9773-6C45-428F-AFB4-07CFD6A66DD9.jpeg

Update:
Just received this response from Tesla.

“Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla! We recommend you ensure that anything you store inside the frunk will not inadvertently press the frunk release button. We do appreciate your feedback and will forwarded It to the appropriate team for consideration in future updates.

We cannot promise that this feature will be available but our team reviews every customer request seriously. We are always striving to improve our products and feedback such as yours is highly valued!”

Reactions: KenC