Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I reran my numbers and now it really doesn't matter if I charge peak or off-peak since the peak wholesale credit rate is very close to the off peak rate. That really changes things. Based on this I'm going to give them a call to change over to RLM. Does anyone know if moving to RLM will change my solar start year?

Over the past year it's been about $0.026-28 for delivery and $0.055-0.064 for supply, it varies slightly every month for some reason.

Just to give you an idea...

This month's bill:

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 15.55.18.png

July 2022 bill:

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 15.56.36.png

Over the past year it's been about $0.026-28 for delivery and $0.055-0.064 for supply, it varies slightly every month for some reason.

Just to give you an idea...

This month's bill:

View attachment 923173

July 2022 bill:

View attachment 923174
Thanks! I just spoke to a PSE&G guy in the solar department and he was very helpful. He's getting the process started for me to switch. The only outstanding question was whether I need a new meter. I already have a smart meter so I'm thinking it should be doable with that one but the guy I spoke with thought they might need to change it.

Thanks! I just spoke to a PSE&G guy in the solar department and he was very helpful. He's getting the process started for me to switch. The only outstanding question was whether I need a new meter. I already have a smart meter so I'm thinking it should be doable with that one but the guy I spoke with thought they might need to change it.
Curious how you made out with this?

When I added Solar the first smart meter did not work correctly. For some reason it was spreading my solar output over the entire 24 hour day. Too much of the output was "off peak" so I still was getting charged for some peak usage.

They had to change to another meter that supported RLM (Time of Use) and Solar.

I had my annual true-up bill this month and PSE&G paid me $0.0718 for the unused peak credits which is around the cost of off peak electricity - I won't bother trying to use up peak excess next year!

View attachment 922149
This is a good point. No need to load shift when the credit for on peak is the same as the cost for off peak.

I also like having all the peak credits so if I do need to charge the car during the day I can just do it with out worrying about the higher cost. Holidays are still considered peak if they fall on a weekdays. It always seems we need to charge due to some road trips to relatives etc on the holidays.

Curious how you made out with this?

When I added Solar the first smart meter did not work correctly. For some reason it was spreading my solar output over the entire 24 hour day. Too much of the output was "off peak" so I still was getting charged for some peak usage.

They had to change to another meter that supported RLM (Time of Use) and Solar.
So far so good. Seems accurate. I haven't been charged for any peak output and I have a 1,343 kWh peak bank as of my early July bill.

PSE&G did just change their EV program to make the off-peak credit 10.5 cents instead of 2 cents so that's a nice bump. But you don't get it if you're on an RLM plan. Also, you can only get it for actual paid kWhs. So if you're not actually "using" net energy or you're using prior month's banks you won't get any credits that month. You can only get for what you actually pay for.

So far so good. Seems accurate. I haven't been charged for any peak output and I have a 1,343 kWh peak bank as of my early July bill.

PSE&G did just change their EV program to make the off-peak credit 10.5 cents instead of 2 cents so that's a nice bump. But you don't get it if you're on an RLM plan. Also, you can only get it for actual paid kWhs. So if you're not actually "using" net energy or you're using prior month's banks you won't get any credits that month. You can only get for what you actually pay for.
Attached a link here with the 10.5 cent credit. This is much better and what I would expect for an off-peak credit.

Makes the math more complicated. Probably a no brainer for people without solar and EV's as you don't need to worry about the increased peak rate of the RLM (Time of Use) rate. If you have solar, probably better in most cases on RLM if you can zero out your peak usage.

Attached a link here with the 10.5 cent credit. This is much better and what I would expect for an off-peak credit.

Makes the math more complicated. Probably a no brainer for people without solar and EV's as you don't need to worry about the increased peak rate of the RLM (Time of Use) rate. If you have solar, probably better in most cases on RLM if you can zero out your peak usage.
my question:

this credit was not available for gen3 connector cause it could not connect with pseg…

the 4.25.0 app and latest connector firmware allows the app to connect to the app…is this a step to using gen3 with this usage credit?

to bring to the capabilities of chargepoint or juice box, which pseg supports

my question:

this credit was not available for gen3 connector cause it could not connect with pseg…

the 4.25.0 app and latest connector firmware allows the app to connect to the app…is this a step to using gen3 with this usage credit?

to bring to the capabilities of chargepoint or juice box, which pseg supports
PSE&G is already providing the credit for Tesla drivers but it comes with an added cost/nuisance. PSE&G is working with Rolling Energy Resources to determine the amount of off-peak charging. Basically you connect your Tesla account with Rolling Energy and they ping your car every 30 or so minutes during peak periods. Not sure why they only do it during peak periods but that's what I've found. It's annoying because they're waking your car constantly so it loses a little battery throughout the day from the constant waking. It's probably about 1-2% per day, usually 1%.

Agree that the 10.5 cent credit is a really good credit. There's definitely no reason to be on RLM if you don't have solar. Right now I'm locked into RLM until at least early February. Once I get my February bill which is the last month of my net metering year I'll do an analysis on which plan is better, considering my usage, solar and charging. It should be relatively straightforward to calculate based on the current year given I'll have my bills and Teslafi can tell me how much I charged at home and when.

For this year I'm currently up about a whopping $14 comparing my RLM vs what it would have been under the standard plan (assuming no off-peak credit). But most of the savings will come in the last few months of the year and I haven't counted anything for the value of my current peak credit. So being up a tiny bit now is a good sign. Hopefully the peak wholesale reimbursement will continue to be over 7 cents per kWh.

PSE&G is already providing the credit for Tesla drivers but it comes with an added cost/nuisance. PSE&G is working with Rolling Energy Resources to determine the amount of off-peak charging. Basically you connect your Tesla account with Rolling Energy and they ping your car every 30 or so minutes during peak periods. Not sure why they only do it during peak periods but that's what I've found. It's annoying because they're waking your car constantly so it loses a little battery throughout the day from the constant waking. It's probably about 1-2% per day, usually 1%.
1% per day is normal per owner’s manual regardless of enrollment with Rolling Energy.

How are you determining the constant waking up every 30 mins or so? Do you see extra mileage loss in the Energy screen?

I have a sense energy monitor installed at home. I downloaded last years electricity usage. The data gives me hour by hour KWH usage. I am thinking of installing Tesla Power Walls. Then I can switch to RLM billing. I will charge the battery during off peak and power the entire house during peak. I am on the RS plan right now with PSEG. It's 19.3 cents per KWH. With RLM, it changes the about 9 cents for off peak and 29 cents for peak. This assumes buying electricity from PSEG and the cost includes both generation and delivery. With load shifting, for my specific case, I am looking at about $2000 a year savings in electricity. Sense is the tool that let's me feel confident I have sized the power wall properly. I live in a townhome so going solar is not an option. I don't own the roof on top of the building. It's a common element. I am curious if anybody else have tried this and can share any feedback.

FYI PSE&G is proposing to close RLM and replace it with two new RS TOU schedules if you look at their latest rate proposal.

For people with solar and no batteries it's probably not going to be a good change - the new proposed peak times are 4pm-9pm so there will be little opportunity to export during peak to build up net metering credits.

FYI PSE&G is proposing to close RLM and replace it with two new RS TOU schedules if you look at their latest rate proposal.

For people with solar and no batteries it's probably not going to be a good change - the new proposed peak times are 4pm-9pm so there will be little opportunity to export during peak to build up net metering credits.
When would this go into effect? I’m getting to the end of my first year on RLM so if they’re going to change it I’d like to switch at my anniversary month.

I had my annual true-up bill this month and PSE&G paid me $0.0718 for the unused peak credits which is around the cost of off peak electricity - I won't bother trying to use up peak excess next year!

View attachment 922149
Just got my peak electricity credit and it was 3.02 cents per kWh. Not particularly pleased with that number considering I had 1,085 banked peak kWhs. I guess I can try and charge more during the day. But I really need to figure out if I should just switch back to the regular plan and get my 10 cent off peak credits. The problem is that PSE&G said they only provide the credits if you have net usage for he month, up to the amounts of usage. So if you have a net credit for April or May you won't get any credit for off-peak charging that month.