Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Psychiatrist here? I'm fixated on "free" supercharging and depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How DO we know our cars' build date? Any way to tell?

Take a look at the drivers door jamb ... you will find the Tesla decal with the build date and other information :cool:

upload_2017-3-31_9-7-11.png

Every morning I'm happy that I switched to the S100D from the S90D with free supercharging.

Yes, there are a lot of unknowns with paid supercharging. But realistically where I live it just doesn't matter that much. I'm not about to drive 20 miles each way for a fill up (unless there is something super cool next to the charger).
We have both an S90D with free Supercharging and a 100D in my household. Most of my trips are out of state and usually 750 to 1100 miles round-trip so the free Supercharging will be nice in the S90D. The closest Supercharger is currently about 25 miles away and based on the 2017 map, it looks like we might be getting one 10 to 15 miles away. However, I doubt I will ever really use these free 'local' Superchargers unless something unexpected happens and I need a few more miles to make it home when returning from a road trip or if I need to head out of town in an emergency and can't make it the 100 miles to the next Supercharger to the east.

We'll probably use the 100D more for local trips and day trips up to the mountains and back.

When I bought my S85D 2 years ago I did it fully expecting to keep it for at least ten years. That has been my pattern long before the Tesla was available since it only makes economic sense to keep a car for as long as it is working well (ruled out that GMC Envoy lemon I had years ago). And the Tesla still gives me a nice feeling every time I get into it. And even though it is rationally not a big thing, I still get a nice tingling contemplating free SCing for the life of the car. And I don't get envious at all over more enhanced AP since I almost never use AP now except to show someone how it works. ( And so far one new Tesla owner because of my free test drives up here in the boonies !)