Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the AO "T" lights in front and the AO ultra bright in the rear. opening the rear door, the lights are bright. As soon as I open my front door my rears go dim. Also the "T" lights in the front door are not as bright.

Has anyone had this issue?
20200214_062005.jpg
20200214_061952.jpg
20200214_061952.jpg
20200214_062005.jpg
20200214_062005.jpg
20200214_061952.jpg

Reactions: follow.johnny
My AO T-logo puddle lights are so dim they were a waste of time installing. If there’s any light at all, they are so faint that no one notices them.

They are nothing like the OEM puddle lights from other manufacturers like Mercedes and Range Rover. They look sad in comparison.

• Helpful
Reactions: GarZ.MYP
I have the AO "T" lights in front and the AO ultra bright in the rear. opening the rear door, the lights are bright. As soon as I open my front door my rears go dim. Also the "T" lights in the front door are not as bright.

Has anyone had this issue?
I have 4 T lights that I purchased on Amazon. They behave the same as yours. When used one at a time, the rear is dimmer than front, and opening a second door causes the other to dim.

The dimming is somewhat expected. They advertise that the aftermarket lights are brighter than factory. Since it's unlikely that Tesla used super inefficient light bulbs, the only way to make them brighter is to use more electricity. But Tesla sized the wire assuming the power usage of the factory bulbs.

Multiple bulbs each drawing more power than Tesla expected causes the voltage to drop and the brightness too dim.

As for why the rear is brighter than the front, I think it is just that the front light is slightly higher off the ground.

Last edited:
My AO T-logo puddle lights are so dim they were a waste of time installing. If there’s any light at all, they are so faint that no one notices them.

They are nothing like the OEM puddle lights from other manufacturers like Mercedes and Range Rover. They look sad in comparison.
Me too. I’ve had two sets from two different companies and both are dim- really can only see in total darkness. Disappointed

I replaced the puddle lights in my front doors yesterday and I noticed the car shuts down as soon as I pulled out the light. It turned back on when I put on the upgraded lights. Did anyone else noticed this when upgrading the puddle lights? Wondering if it's normal.

If your screen turns black...your light is shorted.

Teslas don't have fuses...so you have to wait about 20 min for the MOSFETs to reset.

I have no idea what you mean by "shut down" when you pull the light out.

What's really sad is I bought my nephew these Camaro aftermarket puddle lights that are powered by 3 AA batteries, and they are amazingly bright:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YD1XC84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If they can make ones that work well with 4.5V worth of alkaline batteries, you would think they could come up with something that shows well for the Model 3.
Who is "they" in your comment? Are you saying the same people that are making those from Amazon are making the ones you find difficult on the 3?

I initially bought two Tesla logo lights from Amazon, then bought 4 purple LED, so decided to put the logos in the trunk. I watched a few videos, and installed in the trunk without removing the liner, so scratched up my hand holding the plastic rim that is behind the liner in place (smaller hands might have an easier time of it). The door puddle lights were a snap to install (pun intended). Really like the result!
61756CFB-DE0B-4877-939F-2C50CDDF77C9.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Fernand and brkaus
I initially bought two Tesla logo lights from Amazon, then bought 4 purple LED, so decided to put the logos in the trunk. I watched a few videos, and installed in the trunk without removing the liner, so scratched up my hand holding the plastic rim that is behind the liner in place (smaller hands might have an easier time of it). The door puddle lights were a snap to install (pun intended). Really like the result!View attachment 542089
Interesting that all 4 of your puddle lights look equally bright, where others are reporting that that the rear puddle lights dim when the front doors are opened. Like the final product you got, looks trick!

Since, generally speaking, I know that my car is a Tesla Model 3, and nobody else gives a flying duck, I didn't see any reason to install those reminder displays. But pimp blue, that's useful cred if you live in the city.

They tone down in the foot wells after you close the doors, but I wouldn't install overly bright ones there.

blue20200311_050433cm.jpg

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy