Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Pull Over Safely - Vehicle Shutting Down" - Car Totally Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have purchased 3 different Tesla’s used, 1 model 3 and 2 model S vehicles and they have been very dependable and very few repairs. I have never had to have them towed or been stranded. What’s interesting is that almost everyone reporting car shutting down has a vehicle that is either new or in the first 10K miles.

I guess I’m lucky but my service center in Westmont Illinois has been excellent and very reasonable.
Same here.. my 1st Tesla was a P100D and had zero issues. My Plaid (built Aug ‘21) has been flawless. Car now has 28k happy miles and I’ve done 3 separate 2k+ mile road trips in the past 6 months. I love the car and my only complaint are the brakes could be a bit better. Regardless, the plaid is my all time fav car and I can’t think of another car I’d rather daily drive.

Yesterday was a busy day. My 2022 MYP was at 6% when I finally arrived home at 7pm.

Parked, the car went from 6-4% in 4 hrs. 11pm I took the car to a 250Kw supercharger apporox 7 miles away, which brought the battery level down to 2%. I charged to 90% and went back the same 7 miles with one stop, so let's call it 10 miles.

When I finally arrived home, while driving up ṭo my parking spot in the garage (I live in a high-rise). The car violently jerked, going up an incline as if the rear motor had locked up. I lost acceleration, and the car went into neutralI, coasted backward to level ground, came to a stop.
The car then went into park & I got this message flashing on the display.

(top, over the image of the car)
🚨PULL OVER SAFELY
VEHICLE SHUTTING DOWN🚨

(bottomREAR MOTOR ⚠️DISABLED‐AVOID STEEP GRADES
POWER REDUCED - SCEDULE SERVICE IF ALERT PERSISTS⚠️

Panicked, shocked, frustrated, I just sat there. WTF to do? Now it's past midnight

After about (5) mins, the alert telling me the rear was Disabled changed to something like

"Exit the vehicle and return,"

So I did. I got out of the vehicle, sure enough, the car shut down completely. I got back in, hit the brake, she booted up and was back to normal. I proceeded up to my parking spot and parked.

It's now Saturday morning. I'm writing this 12 hrs later, haven't driven the car. I'm not sure I should before contacting Tesla on Monday.

Have you experienced this? please leave a comment.
How often do you go to 6%?

Just had this happen to my 2023 Model X with 3K miles. Still at service center trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Had no where to pull over, except in the middle of a very busy highway with the family inside, on the last day of our road trip. Had to Uber the family home for $150.

Just had this happen to my 2023 Model X with 3K miles. Still at service center trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Had no where to pull over, except in the middle of a very busy highway with the family inside, on the last day of our road trip. Had to Uber the family home for $150.
This happened to me also at 3,000 miles. They did not figure anything out after all. Calling roadside assistance got the car driving again in ten minutes after instructing me to power off. Took it to SC and I made them keep if for 3 weeks. "Made them", because they wanted to give it back after only a few days. They checked connections and drove it. Got it back with no definitive fix or explanation. I drove it for 1k miles before relaxing a bit. It's been 13k miles since and no problems at all. Even with this, it's the best car I've ever had. Took it for a day trip yesterday in sunny southern California... I love driving my 2022 MSLR!

The "incident " happened to me in the city and I was able to pull over. How did you handle it on the highway?

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
This happened to me also at 3,000 miles. They did not figure anything out after all. Calling roadside assistance got the car driving again in ten minutes after instructing me to power off. Took it to SC and I made them keep if for 3 weeks. "Made them", because they wanted to give it back after only a few days. They checked connections and drove it. Got it back with no definitive fix or explanation. I drove it for 1k miles before relaxing a bit. It's been 13k miles since and no problems at all. Even with this, it's the best car I've ever had. Took it for a day trip yesterday in sunny southern California... I love driving my 2022 MSLR!

The "incident " happened to me in the city and I was able to pull over. How did you handle it on the highway?
Glad to hear your issue hasn't persisted. My X went completely dead after ~5 minutes of stopping. No shoulder for me to pull over to. I was able to immediately open the falcon doors, get the family out and over off the highway. The emergency blinkers died along with the rest of the car, and as it started getting dark, CHP and the tow truck finally showed up. We're lucky we didn't get rear ended in the middle of the road.

It was a nightmare getting the X on the truck without power. Now I sit and wait to see what Tesla wants to do. They at least got me a 2019 Standard Range Model 3 with heavy body damage to drive around. It beats having Uber credits.

Reactions: zoomer0056

Wow...I'd still be apprehensive for a year or two if that were me.

Surprised nothing on the invoice.

Yeah just general shock and awe and audacity. I couldn't believe it was happening. thats my bad.
I had the same experience on an interstate at night, to boot. Luckily was on right hand lane so I wS able to pull over. But could understand the shock and not knowing what to do. Still learning a new 'system' at that point, having driven it for only an hour.

Posting this message on this thread as well, sorry if that is bad form but this is a safety issue. My car has 60,000 miles so not a new car as many have had. This happened to me today on a busy freeway in Los Angeles with no shoulder to pull over onto. Very scary. The car was moving very slowly in rush hour traffic when it just braked to a stop. Even though there was a message that said "vehicle shut down, pull over safely", I couldn't put the car in Drive to pull over even if there was a shoulder. The message also said that exiting and reentering the vehicle may fix it. I opened and closed the door (I wasn't about to get out of the car on the freeway) but that didn't help. I did a soft reboot of the screen and that didn't fix it either. I then called Roadside Assistance and they said to do a hard reboot (tap car icon > Safety > scroll all the way to the bottom to the button that says "Power Off".) As instructed I left it powered off for 2 minutes then stepped on the brake. That fixed it. For now. BTW, the Roadside Assistance guy said that if it still didn't work to call 911 because that would get a tow truck out much faster than he could get one out. Important if you are stuck and in danger as I was.

Remember that old joke if Microsoft built cars?

1. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason, you would simply accept this.

I guess the joke has become reality :rolleyes:

Remember that old joke if Microsoft built cars?

1. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason, you would simply accept this.

I guess the joke has become reality :rolleyes:

Ha! So true. That is the reality now!

Follow up: I took my car in to the service center and they replaced the inverter. They had my car for barely 24 hours so that was fast. My car is out of the main warranty at 60,000 miles but they replaced it free - that part of the car is still covered. So good news. I hope it doesn't happen again!

Yeah just general shock and awe and audacity. I couldn't believe it was happening. thats my bad.

So they're telling me the rear motor has failed and needs to be replaced.
Estimate is 2 weeks to have it back to me. they gave me a loaner and I'm told it won't cost me anything............right now.
Service process has been ok so far. I live in the bay area so everyone has one of these things.....
Any update, it's been over 18 months.