Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two things...
A warning for doing 71 in a 35... Are you kidding me?!
"... I'm going to go with speed."

In this neck of the woods, you'd be so busted.
Too funny. :biggrin:

2 things on that point:
1. It's an artificial speed trap they enforce during the beginning of beach season.
2. I was in the middle of a pack of other cars doing exactly the same speed, in the right lane (of 3) no less..

:)

My mom got busted there about 10 years ago, and I got one about 5 years ago. It's all about lining the state coffers not safety.

Wow. Around here that's an automatic license suspension, impound the car, thousands of dollars in fines, and so many points that you'd be on "facilities" insurance costing $5000 a year...

:) in Japan you would get 30-day license suspension, one day safety education for $200, fine of $1200. If you do it twice in a year your license will be revoked for one year.
I went back and looked at the picture... he's pulled over onto a large side strip on what appears to be a highway -- 3 lanes of traffic going one direction without any lights or nearby entrances, exits, or construction.

It is insane that a 35mph limit would be posted there.

Yeah I thought the same - the road looks deserve 55mph limit but you never know there m8ght be a sharp turn and/or some potential hazard. Anyway "warning only" was nice!

Speed traps are a "cherished" part of rural America. The town sets a ridiculously low speed limit and the local sheriff issues nuisance tickets to drivers who don't live in town. The tickets often don't give points and are conveniently payable by mail, if you're willing to plead guilty.

My favorite was a $250 ticket in Bluffton, SC for doing 36 in a 35 zone on a divided highway. The situation was so bad that someone purchased billboards outside of town that said "Bluffton is a Speed Trap; Don't Shop in Bluffton."

Speed traps are a "cherished" part of rural America. The town sets a ridiculously low speed limit and the local sheriff issues nuisance tickets to drivers who don't live in town. The tickets often don't give points and are conveniently payable by mail, if you're willing to plead guilty.

My favorite was a $250 ticket in Bluffton, SC for doing 36 in a 35 zone on a divided highway. The situation was so bad that someone purchased billboards outside of town that said "Bluffton is a Speed Trap; Don't Shop in Bluffton."

Unless he lowered the ticket to one over, I would have fought it. On most cars the displayed speed is off slightly, and unless he tagged you with laser, his equipment can easily be off slightly as well.

Unless he lowered the ticket to one over, I would have fought it. On most cars the displayed speed is off slightly, and unless he tagged you with laser, his equipment can easily be off slightly as well.

Sure, but that requires going *back* to Bluffton to contest it, which would cost much more than $250. If points aren't involved, it's hard to justify making the effort.

18 days of jail time for speed ticket?? That sounds harsh...
It is a bit harsh, but that's what happens when you endanger lives. There are lots of examples where people have gone to prison:

- A man who drove at 83 mph in a 50-zone got 21 days in prison, and lost his licence for 10 months.
- A man who drove at 61 mph in a 31-zone got 18 days in prison and lost his licence for 12 months.
- A man who drove at 119 mph in a 31-zone got 75 days in prison and lost his licence for 4 years.
Etc.

We don't really have "speed traps" here, though. The speed limits are based on the condition of the road. The police have even refused to enforce speed limits that were lowered to reduce the amount of airborne particles, as that reasoning had nothing to do with safety.

We have a case locally that looks like that but it's never happened.

A bridge from Nashua to Hudson NH - over the Merrimack River. Built in the 1970s. The approach roads and bridge were flagged for 55MPH speed limits. Two lanes - one on either side.

In 1997, construction starts on the US-3 (Everett Turnpike) widening in NH. A new Exit 2 is built to connect with the a new, expanded bridge. The connecting roads and bridges (now plural) will be 6 lanes, 3 on either side.

The new speed limit? 45MPH. 35 once you cross the bridge into Hudson.

It hasn't been used as a 'cherry patch' (as I've heard State Troopers refer to speed traps) but it certainly could be.

Waldo and Lawtey in Florida are notorious for doing the same on US-301. I think 1mph over nets similar three digit tickets.

AAA has put up billboards just outside of city limits going both directions for both towns. And I believe the only two locations in the USA being officially designated by AAA as speed traps. And they are about 20 miles apart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawtey,_Florida
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo,_Florida

I have driven through these towns about 6 times. And every time through in both towns have seen someone get pulled for low single digits over the limit.

Sure, but that requires going *back* to Bluffton to contest it, which would cost much more than $250. If points aren't involved, it's hard to justify making the effort.

You can probably higher a local lawyer to appear in court for you. I did this once when I got a ticket while vacationing 500mi from home. Oh, and my court date landed smack in the middle of my honeymoon. I just hired a local lawyer and he dealt with the whole thing. Cost me very little and was well worth it.

You can probably higher a local lawyer to appear in court for you. I did this once when I got a ticket while vacationing 500mi from home. Oh, and my court date landed smack in the middle of my honeymoon. I just hired a local lawyer and he dealt with the whole thing. Cost me very little and was well worth it.
True. If there were points or insurance implications, I'd try to do just that.

Pulled over today on Rte. 23 in NJ by the West Milford police. 2 cars, both female officers. Asked for DL, registration and insurance. When I asked if there was a problem, they said, "you are not displaying an inspection sticker." I replied, "Officer, this is an electric vehicle and it is exempt from the inspection requirements in NJ." The Officer answered, "Do you have documentation to support that?"

Of course, I had the page from the NJ DMV website with me, which described the regulation and the exemption for electric vehicles. She took all the documents back to her car and conferred with the other officer. The two of them proceeded to bend over, duck down and twist around looking under the vehicle, presumably for an exhaust pipe. Finally, they approach the car and say, how do you fuel it?

I explained there was a charging port to plug in a cable, and they wanted to see it. I described where it was and proceeded to attempt to open it, but, wouldn't you know, the durn thing just clicked and would not open. I volunteered to show it to them, so they allowed me to get out of the car and I showed them the port, but it still would not open. Anyway, they believed me. I got back in the car, and shortly they approached with my documents. She said, "OK, we will let you slide on the inspection sticker, but we have a bigger problem... Your car is coming up stolen on our computer... " When my jaw dropped, she said "Just kidding, you can go..." She almost had me.

I told her a little bit about the car, and then we departed.

Last edited:
Pulled over today on Rte. 23 in NJ by the West Milford police. 2 cars, both female officers. Asked for DL, registration and insurance. When I asked if there was a problem, they said, "you are not displaying an inspection sticker." I replied, "Officer, this is an electric vehicle and it is exempt from the inspection requirements in NJ." The Officer answered, "Do you have documentation to support that?"

Of course, I had the page from the NJ DMV website with me, which described the regulation and the exemption for electric vehicles. She took all the documents back to her car and conferred with the other officer. The two of them proceeded to bend over, duck down and twist around looking under the vehicle, presumable for an exhaust pipe. Finally, they approach the car and say, how do you fuel it?

I explained there was a charging port to plug in a cable, and they wanted to see it. I described where it was and proceeded to attempt to open it, but wouldn't you know, the durn thing just clicked and would not open. I volunteered to show it to them, so they allowed me to get out of the car and I showed them the port, but it still would not open. Anyway, they believed me. I got back in the car, and shortly they approached with my documents. She said, "OK, we will let you slide on the inspection sticker, but we have a bigger problem... Your car is coming up stolen on our computer... " When my jaw dropped, she said "Just kidding, you can go..." She almost had me.

I told her a little bit about the car, and then we departed.

great story