Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3rd ticket... :(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364672140.274165.jpg

How do I best fight these again? This one actually wasn't deserved!! I full stopped at the light but he assumed I didn't and then ticketed me for not stoping at a red light when making a right turn.

The cop had been sitting at that corner all morning and I counted 8 stops by him in the 30 minutes I was paying attention for.

If you did stop, go to court.

If the cop shows up, it's going to be you versus him. Tell the judge you always make it a point to come to a stop, and you do recall stopping at that very sign as you had seen him there all morning (why would you be so stupid as to break the law in front of a cop that had been there all morning?!). If he dismisses, then you're set.

If the judge notes that the police are more believable than you in this case, enter into evidence a copy of the San Francisco Chronicle article by Peter Keane, a former San Francisco Police commissioner, who wrote of a police culture that treats lying under oath as the norm, and note that the ticket you received was on the second-last day of the month, when police are actively looking to meet performance quotas, explicit or implicit in performance reviews.

...or ask a professional lawyer instead of an amateur armchair quarterback (me) on a Tesla message board. :)

Totally off-the-wall approach, and only commendable from an armchair while sipping a glass of wine:

Create a set of graphs showing "your actual speed" that were "downloaded from the car" "just like the ones that Elon Musk produced to refute the New York Times article" showing that you came to a complete stop.

Figures don't lie, but liars can figure...

If you did stop, go to court.

If the cop shows up, it's going to be you versus him. Tell the judge you always make it a point to come to a stop, and you do recall stopping at that very sign as you had seen him there all morning (why would you be so stupid as to break the law in front of a cop that had been there all morning?!). If he dismisses, then you're set.

If the judge notes that the police are more believable than you in this case, enter into evidence a copy of the San Francisco Chronicle article by Peter Keane, a former San Francisco Police commissioner, who wrote of a police culture that treats lying under oath as the norm, and note that the ticket you received was on the second-last day of the month, when police are actively looking to meet performance quotas, explicit or implicit in performance reviews.

...or ask a professional lawyer instead of an amateur armchair quarterback (me) on a Tesla message board. :)
This is what I'd do. The police assume that you won't spend the substantial time and effort to fight a ticket, but this sort of thing bugs me and so I'm willing to spend more than it's worth monetarily to get justice.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm paranoid enough that all of my rides for friends show the amazing 0-40 acceleration only...
I've been showing off the, uh, 30-5 deceleration. (Regen! Pity it won't take it all the way to a dead stop.)

Happened in Bowie, MD. Good ol Prince George's County. Officer only mentioned being pulled over for tags. It wasn't for speeding. Stretch of road I was on has cops waiting from time to time. I'm pretty sure it was a local cop. Turned into parking lot then saw a police car pull real quick into the lot and get extra close.

The tickets were for the following:
-- Failure to display registration card upon demand by police ($50)
-- Driving vehicle on hghway without current registration plates and validation tabs ($70)
-- Operating unregistered Motor Vehicle on highway ($290)

I'll most likely go to court. Hopefully I can have more proof of the CA registration to bring w/ me by then. I'm ok w/ insurance agencies not being able to pull up VIN but my goodness how messed up does the system have to be that the cops also can't find the VIN. Cop was prob looking at me like I stole the car if it wasn't for the insurance.

Just to update everyone. I went to court today and pleaded not guilty and received a verdict of not guilty. :biggrin:
The cop showed up but just asked me if the car is currently registered and I showed him my registration receipt copy. I brought the following to the court just in case:
  • MD MVA registration receipt
  • Title
  • Insurance Cards
  • Tesla letter stating its CA dealer number
  • Tesla inquiry email to the MD MVA asking about validity of CA temp tags
  • CA DMV Reg 262 Form (Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form) with Power of Attorney section filled
  • out
  • CA DMV Reg 397 Form (Application for Registration of New Vehicle). The number on top right of this document matches the slip of paper attached to rear window
  • MD MVA website printout for out of state registration
    Titling – Vehicle Acquired from Out of State
  • Tesla Deliver Declaration and Due Bill
  • Tesla Post-Sales Service Agreement

Funny thing is I went back to the parking lot then got slapped w a ticket for no front license plate. smh. Looks like during my upcoming service visit, I'll take care of that.

That sucks. Wonder if it was the same guy who gave you the original ticket as revenge.

I would guess. You challenged his superior authority. They are human.

In CA, I don't wear a front plate. 10% of all cars in CA don't wear a front plate. If I get ticketed, I fasten it on with Velcro tape, as the law says "affixed to front of car" etc., and get CHP to see it there. Done. Plate comes off. Chances of getting ticket, once in 20 years. Chance of getting two tickets, well, a lot smaller.

I also argue with ticketer. We discuss the number of cars currently passing by with the SAME VIOLATION. I ask how many tickets he has written today for this violation. I assure him I will see him in court for harassment. I write letters.

Oh well. It is entertaining.

Not sure that'll go over well, Rob; the classic "catching fish" analogy would be thrown right back at you ;)

True. My mouth has gotten me into trouble. I am too stupid to see it coming, though. Standard Human Personality Defect.

I once had an MR2 without the front plate, and the aforementioned actions were what ensued. Did not go to court, but did pull the plate off in the CHP parking lot. I figure that was my once in 20 years hit. We will see, won't we!