Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"No, it's fine," he says, "I believe you. But how would even put the plate on? And what is that front black thing on your car? Is that a cover for something? What kind of car is this? It looks great. I'm retiring this year and I'm going to buy a new car and I'd love one of these." He proceeds to tell me that he's not going to give me a ticket or anything for the front plate, but that he'd like to know more about the car. He asks about charging, how it drives, etc.. He was very nice and asked if I minded taking a few minutes telling him about it. I said I was happy to tell him about. I was so relieved that I wasn't getting a ticket (and I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere) that I had the rather bizarre experience of explaining/selling the car on the shoulder of the freeway to a police officer!
Somewhat off-topic (I wasn't pulled over) but...

The second time (/grin) that I was at the Buellton supercharger, a motorcycle cop (BMW) chatted me up while I was burning time watching videos on my tablet. All the normal questions. "Normal, human being chat" rather than a cop-citizen conversation. I think he was stopping for lunch or somesuch. Anyway, very interested in the vehicle. And I confirmed that the omg-hellafun road to Atascadero was indeed a 55mph speed limit despite the absence of signage along most of the route.

I've lived between Santa Barbara and Paso Robles on the 101 in California my whole life. This is the most highly patrolled and ticketed section of road that I have seen in this country! Now that the superchargers are in place to allow 101 usage, everyone needs to be careful not to get ticketed on this road!! CA 154 is the worst of all. Use extra caution here.

I've lived between Santa Barbara and Paso Robles on the 101 in California my whole life. This is the most highly patrolled and ticketed section of road that I have seen in this country! Now that the superchargers are in place to allow 101 usage, everyone needs to be careful not to get ticketed on this road!! CA 154 is the worst of all. Use extra caution here.

Thanks Lloyd!

I got pulled last night.

I got pulled Saturday afternoon. Driving to work. No ticket, I wasn't even driving that fast. He just wanted to see my car.

WP_20130727_004.jpg

First thing out of the officers mouth "I've never seen one of these befo ... Damn! That screen is big. What is this?"

Then he proceeded to ask if they were hiring at the factory worked at.

Then told me to keep it at 70. When the speed limit is 55.

I guess I'm the only person here who would be completely pissed off if a cop abused his authority by pulling over my vehicle just to look at it. I'm sorry, but it's not okay to violate my civil rights in order to take a look at my car. If you do not have probable cause to pull me over, you are acting outside of the law.

I guess I'm the only person here who would be completely pissed off if a cop abused his authority by pulling over my vehicle just to look at it. I'm sorry, but it's not okay to violate my civil rights in order to take a look at my car. If you do not have probable cause to pull me over, you are acting outside of the law.

I could understand someone taking that approach. If you wanted to pursue it, you certainly could, although it would take a long time and lots of energy to yield any results. IMO, I just say thanks, and GTFO ASAP.

If they clearly did that as the ONLY reason, sure.

But if they decided to let me off for doing >70 in a 55, I'll take it. :wink:

I could understand someone taking that approach. If you wanted to pursue it, you certainly could, although it would take a long time and lots of energy to yield any results. IMO, I just say thanks, and GTFO ASAP.

This is why I would be particularly pissed off I were pulled over for no reason. The cop knows he will get away with it because it's just not worth it for me to file a complaint.

Some things are worth getting angry over, (very few), and others not. Life is far too short to get angry over something this minor.

Honestly, I'd rather spend my time befriending local law enforcement so that if I were ever in a jam, I'd have someone to call upon, if I were to anything at all. Otherwise, I'd enjoy driving my Model S and remind myself of the positive things life has to offer, like family, food, and friends lol.

You must not have read the whole thread. Many of us spoke out about this.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I'd rather spend my time befriending local law enforcement so that if I were ever in a jam, I'd have someone to call upon, if I were to anything at all. Otherwise, I'd enjoy driving my Model S and remind myself of the positive things life has to offer, like family, food, and friends lol.
Now that brings up a clever idea...

Ask for the officer's card or contact information. "So I can take you for a ride sometime when you're off-duty." (And so I have a friend to call upon if I need a little friendly advice on a police matter.)

If I had time to spare, I wouldnt mind talking about my tesla with anyone who cares to listen.. If the police stop me for a chat, that would be no problem. :) New friends, especially Teslaholics i alsways welcome. :-D

No, you're not. Sadly, I've read this agitated libertarian defensiveness on here before. And while you're technically, legally you're within your rights to feel that way, they are far more upsides to being friendly and courteous to the police if/when you find yourself in a similar situation than there are downsides.

Yes, the police shouldn't pull you over "for no reason." Unless you're driving bang on the speed limit, technically there's reason right there. But even if you are, what good will come of you getting "completely pissed off?" You will alienate a police officer, and it's more likely that he will walk away thinking that you (and potentially other Tesla/Model S owners) are just a bunch of rich douche bags, rather than acknowledging that he has perhaps overstepped his boundaries. You can argue what "should" happen, but that it what will actually happen.

Instead, five minutes of friendly chit-chat will generate a positive feeling towards you, Tesla, and Electrical Vehicles in general. What you call a "violation of your civil rights" can also be seen as an opportunity to educate a captive, interested, influential audience about the positive attributes of Tesla and EVs.

Of course, ultimately it's your choice. Do what you will...