Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's an ad in Seattle for insurance that has one of those with the license plate "LL4EVER" (Left Lane)
Also you can check http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html to see if its something they could be pulled over for.

Well then there you go! There people shouldn't be doing that in VA! Love this link! And it is probably for the very situation I was talking above where people like me get so frustraited that we end up driving recklessly just to get away from them. (It's funny because otherwise I am normally driving with the flow, or at around the speed limit.

The only time I end up driving somewhat recklessly is on the interstate over here in Northern VA, because people seriously are selfish, by driving 5 MPH slower than the speed limit in the far left lane (of a 3 and 4 lane highway) and then you can't get around them, because they are passing someone also going the SAME SPEED LIMIT... and instead of speeding up, they just keep going. backing up traffic, and causing everyone to be frustrated, all because they couldn't be bothered to drive in a way that doesn't impede the flow of traffic. And if I am ever going slower than the guy behind me, regardless of how fast I am going vs the speed limit vs how fast he wants to go, I still either speed up so I can get out of his way or if already clear, I get out of his way. /rant

rant +55

And the number of times the driver is another "green" vehicle is annoying to the point of becoming a stereotype: The Tree-Hugger who wants to save the world by forcing everybody behind him to drive the same 'sensible & ecologicially friendly' speed that he is... congestion behind him be d@mned...

rant +55

And the number of times the driver is another "green" vehicle is annoying to the point of becoming a stereotype: The Tree-Hugger who wants to save the world by forcing everybody behind him to drive the same 'sensible & ecologicially friendly' speed that he is... congestion behind him be d@mned...

You might want to give this a watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGFqfTCL2fs

Well I'm finally able to join the club! I suppose it was inevitable and only a matter of time... kind of surprised that it took them so long to stop me (10 months), lol. Stops me for not having a front license plate, tinted windows, and no inspection sticker. Though they both didn't know that electric vehicles are exempt and don't need any inspection sticker in NJ. "that's a nice-ass car, man!", the other one says. No ticket. No written warning. Didn't even tell me that I needed to mount my front plate or take off my tint. It was obviously they just wanted to check out the car.

IMG_2671e.jpg

There's an ad in Seattle for insurance that has one of those with the license plate "LL4EVER" (Left Lane)
Also you can check http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html to see if its something they could be pulled over for.
And then there's California... Which I'm convinced is causing all the issues for the rest of the u.s.

I've long believed this "left lane is not the fast lane" mentality arises from city driving where all lanes are needed for traffic flow and speeds vary in all of the lanes. This triggers a mentality that people drive in any lane regardless of what speed they are driving relative to everyone else. Then certain city slickers apply this mentality when on any highway.

california, otoh, restricts truck traffic to 55 mph while the speed limit is 70. This absolutely preposterous law is probably the main cause of most highway traffic issues in the state (outside of general congestion in the Bay Area and l.a. Area). The end result is that a two lane/direction high way will have all the trucks in the right lane and all the rest of the traffic in the left lane (regardless of their speed). Thus, really only one lane is used for traffic. The right lane actually usually becomes the passing lane when there are no trucks in the way. (And don't get me started on when the trucks pass each other just to end up going the same 55 mph afterwards and in the process slow everyone to 55 and cause a massive backup behind them... Pointless)

now I'm convinced this "left-lane-itis", as I call it, in the rest of the states is as much displaced Californians as it is city slickers. Clearly, not using turn signals originated in this state and explains why my dad (who lived here at one point) doesn't.

the rest of the traffic jams on the non city highways are caused by randomly disappearing lanes when there is no good reason they couldn't expand the highway and maintain thatlane (just shrubs around). Sometimes up to 3 lanes will merge within a mile. This is the sole cause of traffic jams (other than Tahoe traffic Fridays) going east from vacaville or Davis to sacramento. There is an easy fix... Maintain the same number of lanes. But I guess the state dot likes traffic jams.

My only other pet peeve is people who don't get up to traffic speed on the on ramp. To merge, we need to be co-speed, so either traffic on the highway slows down or on ramp traffic gets up to highway speed... Which I assume it was intending to do anyway... Don't be afraid to use the accelorator people! I really think high gas prices have made this problem worse.

Last edited:
Yeah, but those signs don't mean that the left lane is reserved for people driving 20 MPH above the posted limit, either. Unless the speed is posted to be different in that lane for some reason, the speed limit is still the speed limit.

Now I'm all for driving at the speed limit and not below during good conditions, but I never understand where the " it's the left lane / speed limits do not apply" mentality comes from. I also don't understand the "stay out of other peoples way" mentality. Someone else's need for speed doesn't trump my desire to maintain a safe speed & following distance on the highway. Of course there are times you need to speed up to get around someone, but that doesn't equate to driving constantly at 90 MPH In the left lane.

I usually stay out of the left lane unless it's an exit or express toll lane, that's how I "stay out of the way". In addition to safety, way too many speed traps along the roads I drive to worry about how "frustrated" someone gets because they haven't figured out yet to leave fifteen minutes earlier for work.

Yeah, but those signs don't mean that the left lane is reserved for people driving 20 MPH above the posted limit, either. Unless the speed is posted to be different in that lane for some reason, the speed limit is still the speed limit.

Now I'm all for driving at the speed limit and not below during good conditions, but I never understand where the " it's the left lane / speed limits do not apply" mentality comes from. I also don't understand the "stay out of other peoples way" mentality. Someone else's need for speed doesn't trump my desire to maintain a safe speed & following distance on the highway. Of course there are times you need to speed up to get around someone, but that doesn't equate to driving constantly at 90 MPH In the left lane.

I usually stay out of the left lane unless it's an exit or express toll lane, that's how I "stay out of the way". In addition to safety, way too many speed traps along the roads I drive to worry about how "frustrated" someone gets because they haven't figured out yet to leave fifteen minutes earlier for work.

PLUS ONE to all this. Be careful, Atebit, you'll be grouped in with me. I drive in the "truck" lane in CA (they do 60-65 more than 55) and speed up to pass. If I have a semi crowding me, I speed up unless there's plenty of room for him to pass me on the left lane. But I don't need to go 75-85, I leave home early and get to my destination on time or early, and get 300 miles per charge.

I have passed slow traffic (Napa Valley Tourists) at 110 mph in a 55 zone, but have never been pulled over because, a) I'm lucky, and b) it's a few seconds' incident and I am right back down to the speed limit (or a couple over) immediately.

I am a big proponent of leaving space in front of me for regen and safety.

I also don't understand the "stay out of other peoples way" mentality.

On the converse, I believe "do your best to not impede others provided you can reasonably do so" is a preferred way to share the roads.

I understand the rest of your post indicates you endeavor to do this. Unfortunately I've seen WAY too many instances of a person on 2-lanesof a highway doing the EXACT limit (or even slightly below), in the left lane, matching the pace of a person in the right lane, yet there isn't a car for a 1/4 mile in front of the car on the right... all the while with 20 cars backed up behind them.

Would they need to break the speed limit by 5mph for 30 seconds to get in front of the adjacent vehicle so they could pull to the right? Yes.

Does that mean you should back up traffic simply because you are legally able to do so, despite other reasonable options to maintain your preferred safe distance? No.

(on that, if we don't want to further derail this thread, of we want to discuss driving etiquette further, we should probably start a new thread)

Last edited:
Rush hour traffic is the worst in all areas. I always wondered why people are in such a hurry to get to work. Most people don't like their jobs. :). I guess they leave home late and need to makeup the time. It is great to have telecommuting for many of us. Except at Yahoo. Bummer, guys.

In most cases the speed you travel at during a commute doesn't change the arrival time. It only takes one traffic light to nullify many minutes of speeding, and there's a good chance that if you hadn't been speeding you wouldn't have had to stop for the light. It's a road, not a racetrack.

That's not how the law is structured in Washington and other states marked green at
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

In WA the left lane is reserved for overtaking and avoiding obstacles, and Chapter 46.61 RCW: RULES OF THE ROAD
section 4 explicitly states "It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic."

Note it says "impedes the flow" and not "maintain the prevailing speed limit." This means someome camped out in the left lane doing the speed limit holding up other cars is subject to a ticket. Doesn't matter that the other cars being blocked want to speed and could be subject to a ticket themselves down the road.

These laws recognize that while speeding can be dangerous, forcing cars to pass on the right can be even more dangerous.

In most cases the speed you travel at during a commute doesn't change the arrival time. It only takes one traffic light to nullify many minutes of speeding, and there's a good chance that if you hadn't been speeding you wouldn't have had to stop for the light. It's a road, not a racetrack.

Actually we have one road over here that unless you speed you will get stuck at EVERY SINGLE LIGHT. They are so poorly timed. Like, even with speeding I am still just barely passing under it as it goes yellow. We are talking lights that are spaced out about 1 mile apart, and they go for a good 15 miles. If you don't want to get stopped at every single one (and only want to be stopped like 3 times total) you have to go about 8-10 over the speed limit. And they are NOT short lights... you will wait at each one about 1-2 minutes. This is not an insignificant amount of time that getting stuck at the lights impacts your trip.

Once you get through the first one (without it turning red) you can generally cut it back to about 5+ over the limit and sail on for a good ways. In fairness, just about everyone does 5-10 over on this stretch of road (for likely the same reasons).

Well I'm finally able to join the club! I suppose it was inevitable and only a matter of time... kind of surprised that it took them so long to stop me (10 months), lol. Stops me for not having a front license plate, tinted windows, and no inspection sticker. Though they both didn't know that electric vehicles are exempt and don't need any inspection sticker in NJ. "that's a nice-ass car, man!", the other one says. No ticket. No written warning. Didn't even tell me that I needed to mount my front plate or take off my tint. It was obviously they just wanted to check out the car.

View attachment 41206

Yes, yobigd, given the number of miles you drive, the probability of getting pulled over should be that much higher for you.

Hope the incident didn't mess up your bowling plans :)

PLUS ONE to all this. Be careful, Atebit, you'll be grouped in with me. I drive in the "truck" lane in CA (they do 60-65 more than 55) and speed up to pass. If I have a semi crowding me, I speed up unless there's plenty of room for him to pass me on the left lane. But I don't need to go 75-85, I leave home early and get to my destination on time or early, and get 300 miles per charge.

I have passed slow traffic (Napa Valley Tourists) at 110 mph in a 55 zone, but have never been pulled over because, a) I'm lucky, and b) it's a few seconds' incident and I am right back down to the speed limit (or a couple over) immediately.

I am a big proponent of leaving space in front of me for regen and safety.

In my experience, it seems they are never doing much more than 55, and speed up minimally to pass... Which isn't how passing is supposed to work. Then as soon as one is done, the next one goes. I think I've even seen two alternate turns passing each other.

It seems like overall we are on the same page. You drive how you want, but you don't impede others.

- - - Updated - - -

you say you don't understand the "stay out of others way while driving" mentality, but then you say you usually stay out of the left lane.... So you're actually subscribing to that mentality. No one is saying that you can't maintain your distance in your way in the right lane, like you do, while people driving faster maintain their distance too and then just pass on the left when they need to.

I think most cases would show the speed limit is usually extremely conservative. If you put a random sampling of drivers on most roads and took away the speed limit signs and told them to casually drive what they felt was safe and controllable on that road (without mentally thinking about speed or having anywhere important to go), almost every time, I believe, almost everyone would be naturally driving at a speed that is faster than the speed limit for that road.

not everyone wants to leave 15 minutes earlier for work. Some of us value our time at home more than that, and I personally am not a morning person, so waking up earlier is not something that jives well... In fact, morning people frustrate me (I think they are sick and twisted in the head:tongue:), because they seem to never understand that everyone works a little different and that some people are just non functional in the morning. My line of work is full of morning people, so I deal with it a lot. I'll give you three times the work quantity and quality if you don't ask me to wake up at 0430 every day when the same job could be done at noon instead of 0730.