Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over for no front plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NoVA here as well. In 8-1/2 years, I've never gotten pulled over because of that. Have had it mentioned when pulled over for other things, and I in the past showed them the plate/mounting hardware in my trunk and let them know I've been looking for a no-drill solution. I think I got a fix-it ticket for it once, and showed them a pic of the front plate temporarily affixed to the nose and got it dismissed.

I did get ticketed for it once when parked in DC. $50.

So far it's been worth it to me...

Reactions: EmbersDC
No front plate for me. I do have a quick bandit mount with plate in my frunk though. My plan is to explain to Law Enforcement “I took it off to wash my car last weekend. Thank you for letting me know. I’ll put it on right now”. Good attitude and good story with quick correction should appease the vast majority.
I will have to use that excuse as well if it ever comes up

Do you also complain that the headlights or turn signals detract from the look of the vehicle? How about the rear license plate? Might as well remove that, too.
I don’t get why you took the time to respond to me with that kind of comment. Your comment doesn’t even make sense. I was responding to someone who asked why someone would choose not to put on a front plate in a state that requires it. I gave MY opinion and reasoning and I also said I comply with the law by using the Quick Bandit easy on and off front plate holder. Why you felt the need to make a wise ass comment on something that you had nothing to do with I don’t understand. Next time you feel the need to be snarky maybe think twice and keep your opinion to yourself.

Reactions: bhzmark
I don’t get why you took the time to respond to me with that kind of comment. Your comment doesn’t even make sense. I was responding to someone who asked why someone would choose not to put on a front plate in a state that requires it. I gave MY opinion and reasoning and I also said I comply with the law by using the Quick Bandit easy on and off front plate holder. Why you felt the need to make a wise ass comment on something that you had nothing to do with I don’t understand. Next time you feel the need to be snarky maybe think twice and keep your opinion to yourself.
*shrug* You purport that aesthetics is a valid reason for not having equipment required by law so I was just applying the same logic to other required equipment. Guess I hit a nerve.

For what it’s worth, new Model S/X come with a new front end that has the plate bracket already fixed in place. It’s color matched but really makes it super obvious that you are “a no front plate offender”. The current Model3/Y still come “naked”.
Here in Los Angeles it’s really a 50/50 gamble (unless you park everyday on the public streets- those meter maids love to call in front plate violations). However, like others have said, not having a plate gives an officer their probable cause. But, most cops (in my experience) would rather not waste their time. One thing is for sure, the Model Y looks much better without a front plate.

*shrug* You purport that aesthetics is a valid reason for not having equipment required by law so I was just applying the same logic to other required equipment. Guess I hit a nerve.
Nah. You didn’t hit a nerve dude. You’re just a troll who felt the need to reply unsolicited in a douchey way. I didn’t justify NOT putting a plate on. Reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit. I said I would prefer NOT having to put on a front plate for aesthetic reasons but it’s the law in my state. I am sure I am not the only one who feels that. I said I have the Quick Bandit so I can take it on and off easily when needed and don’t have to have holes drilled in my sweet red bumper or double sided tape with the Tesla plate that could mar the paint. I said I have the best of both worlds in having the Quick Bandit installed. I said sometimes I forget to reinstall the Quick Bandit. If I got a ticket for that I would just pay the fine and accept responsibility. It would be my own fault. That doesn’t in any way equate to the point you’re making that because I don’t like having a front plate on my MY, I flagrantly disobey the law on everything else. Why do you even care about my post? What drove you to respond? My post was in response to someone asking a question that I had an opinion on. Your post was to be a jerk and respond to something that nothing to do with the OP’s question. “Shrug” back dude.

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
What ever you have to install a front license plate, or find those not very appealing,
if you have to use parallel parking in congested streets, I would recommend getting some heavy duty front bumper guard !!!

81iqh0QTnHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: mrwug and sleepydoc
Front plates are required in Wisconsin where I live and drive. I haven't had a front plate on my car for about 10 years now and have never once been pulled over because of it. I've been pulled over for other things during that time, and no officer ever made reference to me not having a front plate. Front plates ugly up a car, and I will take my chances.

Reactions: NJEV-Don